View Poll Results: Did stripping your membranes induce your labor?
Yes within 24 hours 21 38.18%
Yes within 3 days 9 16.36%
Not at all 17 30.91%
yes, but was done more then once 3 5.45%
other 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stripping Membranes

I had it done with my first and third.

With my first, I was 40w2d, so labor was bound to come soon anyway, but it did happen within 24 hours of my sweep. I remember it being fairly uncomfortable, but not painful.

With my third, I had it done twice (38w1d and 38w4d) because of painful prodromal labor which had already been going on for weeks. On the first sweep I was already dilated to a 2 and 50% effaced, by the second I was dilated to a 4 and 75%. I also went home and drank castor oil, so I'm not sure what to attribute it to, but I went into labor that evening and gave birth 5 hours after the sweep, which was 4 hours after the castor oil. Both sweeps were barely uncomfortable, and though I do think it was what put me over the edge my body was RIGHT there ready to go into labor anyway.

Advertisement

Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Midwives did this about 40 weeks since I had already lost my plug and was having tons of bh contractions but then fizzling out. I remember that it hurt pretty bad...I felt like it hurt just as bad as a transition time contraction. It didn't speed anything up either, we ended up doing castor oil at 41+1.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DS I had them stripped (I think) around 38ish weeks. It barely felt like shetouched me and wasn't that into doing it in the first place so I think she may have pretended TBH. Then I had an appointment around 39 weeks (DS was about 4 days early), had a tad high blood pressure for me, was already 4cm, and my midwife said "I'm gonna strip the hell out of you!" when I mentioned it. That was a Friday, was monitored for 3 hours or so after the appointment due to the BP, and my water broke (more like gushed!) that Sunday at 9pm. DS was born Monday morning at 5:27am, on Labor Day :-)

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Had it done in two pregnancies, either on my due date or at 41 weeks. It did nothing. With my first I had it done four times, he still came all on his own in his own time.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #15
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

hated it. hated it. very uncomfortable. worked though....
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #16
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My contractions started as I walked down the stairs out of the doc's office. I was 39w 3d.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #17
babylovinmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am very against stripping, just my personal opinion. I was young and uneducated with my first and allowed my then ob to strip my membranes. All it did was irritate my uterus and cause my waters to break before my body was ready. Untimately I did not go into labor on my own and had to have pit. I was lucky enough to have been able to still deliver vaginally but DD was born very lethargic and had trouble nursing all related to the stress of a pit labor.
Roberta~ crazy crunchy, sometimes soggy, wife to my love and mama to 4 little pieces of my heart and waiting on #5! If you can't find me, I'm probably hiding in the corner licking the beaters
babylovinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Had it done w/ DD3 @ 38w3d as I was dilated to 4. Didnt hurt at all. 2 days later I went into labor.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

had it done in the am, went into labor at midnight that night.
i was already past my due date when it was done.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
Formerly: Knits4Noah
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my membranes stripped on Thursday or Friday and then went into labor early Sunday morning. I don't think it had much effect, honestly, because I was over a week pass my due date and I still have to have pitocin and ended up getting an epidural.

Tiny Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote