Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can you have pregnancy induced celiac?

I was on a gluten free diet prior to becoming pregnant for weight loss reasons. I had lost over 20 pounds and was feeling really good. Well, pregnancy #4 rolls around, I start eating whatever I feel like, and sheesh, I have bad diarrhea all the time, my hemorrhoids start acting up, I have near constant headaches, the pain in my joints gets to the point where I can't even roll over in bed, and I am totally exhausted all the time. A lot of these things sound like pregnancy symptoms, but from what I know of celiac, it also sounds like that. Can pregnancy trigger celiac? Is there a test you can do other than the biopsy to find out? I'm going back to gluten free today to see if it helps, but I'm starting to think I need some more definitive answers.

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can you have pregnancy induced celiac?

From what I have read the tests can be inconclusive and there are a lot of false negatives, so I would probably just cut it out and see how you feel.sometimes symptoms can get worse once you go back to eating gluten after abstaining, also. since digestion slows down in pregnancy, that could make the intolerance worse, also.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
2beauties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Its probably like everything else, when you cut something out completely and then all of a sudden start eating it in everything you are probably going to have symptoms and not feel that good. This is my 4th pregnancy too and I am not far behind you and I have been whooped this time. I thinks its just hard on my body. I have no idea how Michelle Duggar did this over and over.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

I'd be interested in hearing responses.. my stomach seems to get much more intolerant of lactose when I'm pregnant!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I haven't had any gluten today, and I feel 100% better already. No more gluten for me.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am a Celiac and I find when I'm pregnant if gluten gets in my system my symptoms are alot worse. I also find on occasion even when completely gluten free I still get some of the GI tract symptoms.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edens_mom View Post
I'd be interested in hearing responses.. my stomach seems to get much more intolerant of lactose when I'm pregnant!
I had this also with my two pregnancies.

I would assume (haven't done any research on it though) that after an elimination/abstaining diet, your gut may no longer have or produce the bacteria that support digestion of those foods you removed. Perhaps try adding some probiotics to your diet?
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes. I had this issue this past pregnancy and that was my mw's response. Also could be that you cleaned up your diet and then you clog it full of junk and your body's reacting. It's similar to not eating fast food for years and eating it and getting sick even though you may have eaten it often. Doesn't necessarily mean you have celiac but that your body is healthier and is reacting more obviously than before you cut out gluten.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
turtledance
Registered Users

My Mood:

Pregnancy can trigger celiac. I developed celiac after my second pregnancy. If you do not have celiac or a gluten intolerance it will not cause you any distress to go off gluten and back on again. You will not trigger the disease by not ingesting gluten. If you do have celiac disease it is not ever going to go away. You need to stay off of gluten for life. In normal circumstances, I would advise you to stay on gluten and get tested. However since you are pregnant, I would encourage you to just get a celiac blood panel ( http://www.csaceliacs.info/diagnosis_of_celiac_disease.jsp) ASAP and stop eating gluten! You must be consuming gluten to have the tests come back positive. There is also a fairly high false negative rate, so if you are feeling fine not eating gluten and don't care if you have a firm diagnosis, you can assume that you have celiac and act as if you do. It can be dangerous to both you and the baby to continue to eat gluten if you have celiac!

Momma to my crazy little Snuggle Muttin (6-8-07)
and my sweet Cuddle Bug (2-13-10)
turtledance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Buffy1023
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have celiacs. After ds was born, I started getting a lot of pain and stomach problems. After about 6 months of going to a few doctors, I was told to go to a GI. He did a blood test that came out positive and then a biopsy a month later. He told me that a lot of times trauma brings on celiacs. Birth being the most common, but other traumatic events as well.
I would get tested right now. A simple blood test can tell you if you are positive. There are false positives ( although he said that isn't really common) but at least you would have an inkling right now. Then after baby is born, have a biopsy.
Good luck mama. Hope you end up don't having it, but if you do, it is manageable.

**for those mamas with celiacs- have you read anywhere that you should not introduce gluten to your child until after a year of age? It said it drastically reduces the chance of them getting celiacs. I am going to talk to my GI and Ped. about this.

Both of my kids have been tested and came back negative. They said they should be tested ever 5 years, so hopefully they stay neg. and this little one is too!

http://swagbucks.com/refer/MamaLiz8056 join now and see what you can earn!
Buffy1023 is offline   Reply With Quote