Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Babylover
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Running while pregnant

So, this past 6 months, I developed a new hobby. Running. I use minimal shoes and over the course of the last 6 months have done a 10k, 5k and registered for a half marathon. Last week I ran 19 miles and ran the fastest I have ever ran for speedwork. I am hoping to continue running through my pregnancy. Does anyone else here run? I also do indoor cycling, weights and some yoga. I feel like I am floundering a bit, not quite sure how far to push myself, yet wanting to continue my running. This is my 4th pregnancy and I am about 5 weeks along. Any thoughts or encouragement or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Babylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Running while pregnant

with DS2 i ran/jogged up until about 12/14 weeks. I just paced myself and listened to my body. After that I switched to walking. Running was too uncomfortable for me.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How far along are you? My midwife told me that I can definitely keep running and exercising (just no crunches and planks, lol). My morning sickness has been quite bad, but I plan on running once it's over. She told me to take it easy, take it slow if I have to, and to stop immediately if I feel any cramps or have a lot of trouble breathing. Keeping hydrated is also important. Exercising throughout pregnancy usually results in an easier labor.

I would consult it with your doctor/midwife, though, just because they know your medical history best.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

I ran until about 10/12 weeks. I never got uncomfortable running... the morning sickness just killed my desire to do anything at that point, lol.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

i have a friend who ran a 5k the weekend before she gave birth. Granted she was a "serious" ultrarunner before she got pregnant. I think that you can do anything that you were doing before you got pregnant if you have the energy.

Check with your provider to make sure your health is ok.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you need to listen to your body. I jogged at 41 weeks pregnant, but I didn't do it really often. I also did interval training all through both pregnancies. I would say that I also think that long bouts of cardio are stressful for the body, and might be more stressful for a pregnacy and the baby, but that;s just how I feel.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My doc always said as long as nothing hurts you are fine to exercise as much as you want. I ran until I was about 32 weeks then switched to an elliptical at the end.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote