Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Parents of giant babies, please commiserate with me..

My baby was born 8 weeks ago at a little over 7 pounds, and now he is a little over 14.5 pounds! I just feel like I waited a long time for a little baby, but only got to enjoy that for 3 weeks. Sigh. I certainly don't mean to make any mommas with babies that have weight gain issues feel badly, but we're not even talking "average" growth here; kellymom says that 5.5 To 8.5 ounces a week is average, but he has been gaining 1 pound per week. Most of his clothes are now 6 month sized; the cute little clothes I bought only lasted 411 weeks or so.
I'm glad he's healthy and that breastfeeding is (obviously) going well, but I just wish the little stage lasted a bit longer...anyone else? My first was the same, so at least I didn't buy too many newborn clothes or diapers.

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Parents of giant babies, please commiserate with me..

hehe, yes - I know the feeling.

For me, I kept delaying putting her in the older clothes because she remained small in my mind and she ended up getting to wear things like 1x because I just didn't realize how big she was.

She was in 12month clothes at 6months, 18month clothes at 9months and 2T by 12months.

Luckily, she has slowed down incredibly over the last 7 months - they only grow that fast for a little while.

I was a tiny child, so I expected a tiny child. They kept telling me that I was measuring small and that my baby was going to be small. She came out normal sized at 7'9 and then exploded growing so fast.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My lo is 3.5 years old (he is just now taking a break in growing) He weighs in at 48lbs he wears a 5/6 clothing. I on the other hand am 5'1 inches tall and 125lbs. People look at me CRAZY when Im trying to lift him into the shopping cart or put him in his car seat.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
mamamegan841
Registered Users
seller

I know exactly how you feel. My DS weighed 10lbs 3oz at birth so I never got to go through the tiny baby stage with him. He didn't fit into any of his newborn clothes or diapers and only wore 3 months sized clothes for 2 weeks before moving into 6 months. He is currently 11 months old and wearing size 24 months. He isn't big, just really, really tall. I am hoping for a tiny baby this time around!
mamamegan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All 3 of my other littles were like that especially the first 2. Now I have Poppy who was 9lb 10oz at birth and just made it to 22lbs at 17mo I kept wishing she would stay little and man did she LOL.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post

For me, I kept delaying putting her in the older clothes because she remained small in my mind and she ended up getting to wear things like 1x because I just didn't realize how big she was.

She was in 12month clothes at 6months, 18month clothes at 9months and 2T by 12months.

Luckily, she has slowed down incredibly over the last 7 months - they only grow that fast for a little while.

I was a tiny child, so I expected a tiny child. They kept telling me that I was measuring small and that my baby was going to be small. She came out normal sized at 7'9 and then exploded growing so fast.
Haha. People keep telling me that my daughter is going to slow down, but shes 28 months and weighs 40 pounds and a 4T/5T, so I've given up on holding my breath.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

This is exactly us! DD was 7lb2oz born at 38wks, and became this giant child. She is 12 months and almost 24 lbs, in 24mos/2T clothes. She has slowed down since 9ish months, too!

I was only 5lb3oz and 19lbs at 12mos. DH was under 7 lbs, but he was in 3T by 18 months so I guess DD got his genes, lol!

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Shaunam
Registered Users

DS was almost 9 lbs at birth, 18 lbs at 3 months and something like 26 at 6 months. HE WAS MASSIVE. lol And to top it off, he was very ahead gross motor wise, so I really felt he was not a little baby for very long. He was off walking unassisted at 8 months, rolls and all. He's perfectly average height and weight now at 7 years old.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel for you, I missed the tiny baby stage when I blinked. My boys were 6.9 and 6.10 and both doubled weight before the 6 week visit and both reached 25lbs for their fist birthdays. Me being so small made them look even bigger in pictures.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Makes me feel better reading this. My lo was 8 lbs, 8 ounces at birth. He's 3 1/2 months old and probably weighs at least 16 lbs now. He was 15.5 lbs at 3 months. I was partly in denial and had him wearing 3 month clothes the other day - then I saw an imprint on his leg from the seam. He has pretty much skipped the 3-6 month clothes and is wearing 6 months now. So much for all the cute outfits grandma and grandpa bought him. Oh well, I'm thankful that he is healthy though everyone who sees him says, "Oh my gosh, he's gotten so big!"

Last edited by neuro_mom; 05-15-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo
neuro_mom is offline   Reply With Quote