Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quick, what would cause

a 2m old to have green stools? Bean has been "off" for the past day, just not herself, snacking more than having meals, she's pale, sleeping more than normal, more fussy, drooling a lot more and her past 3 stools are dark green with hints of the normal BF yellow. However, she's not running a fever. I called the ped and am waiting on a call back, but I gotta go back to work in a few. Anybody have experience w/ there symptoms?

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Re: Quick, what would cause

I think green stools in a breastfed baby is usually a foremolk hindmilk imbalance.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingPeaMama View Post
I think green stools in a breastfed baby is usually a foremolk hindmilk imbalance.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. I had oversupply and had to block feed, which cleared that up.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is a foremilk-hindmilk imbalance. Try block feeding. It will usually work out in a day or so. You can read up about it on KellyMom. Unless you have a very lactation friendly/knowledgable office they may not be super helpful. Try calling your local LLL for support.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever
That is a foremilk-hindmilk imbalance. Try block feeding. It will usually work out in a day or so. You can read up about it on KellyMom. Unless you have a very lactation friendly/knowledgable office they may not be super helpful. Try calling your local LLL for support.
This.

She's likely getting more of the foremilk (more watery milk at the beginning of a feed), and not enough hindmilk (extra fatty, thicker richer milk towards the end of the feed).

I would try block feeding. Feed from one breast for 2-3 hours, then do the same thing on the other side.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
blackberry75
Registered Users

Well, that's gonna be difficult. I'm at work from 8am to 8pm, with a quick stop at home around 2 to nurse and grab a bite to eat. Today's unusual because my evening client had a doctor's appointment before I left my morning client. I'm just waiting on a call from her to head over and help get her off the transport.

I've only got 20m between clients if I'm really lucky, so I feed her on one side and pump the other. At work I've only got 10m at 11am and again at around 6pm to assemble/disassemble, pump and wash parts. The only time we can really nurse for any length of time is from the time I get home till I leave again in the morning and weekends. She also gets about 20oz of formula/day M-F to make up the difference since I can't pump enough to cover her daily feedings.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
pcjs
Registered Users

I have no clue about the breastfeeding, but it could be the formula. We got all kinds of interesting colors of poop at different ages. You could try changing the formula to a sensitive and if she is on a sensitive, change brands. Or, she could be getting sick.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry75
Well, that's gonna be difficult. I'm at work from 8am to 8pm, with a quick stop at home around 2 to nurse and grab a bite to eat. Today's unusual because my evening client had a doctor's appointment before I left my morning client. I'm just waiting on a call from her to head over and help get her off the transport.

I've only got 20m between clients if I'm really lucky, so I feed her on one side and pump the other. At work I've only got 10m at 11am and again at around 6pm to assemble/disassemble, pump and wash parts. The only time we can really nurse for any length of time is from the time I get home till I leave again in the morning and weekends. She also gets about 20oz of formula/day M-F to make up the difference since I can't pump enough to cover her daily feedings.
She's getting 20 ounces of formula?? Babies only need 25-30oz a day, total!! So you could be overfeeding her. How much do you pump in a day? How many times a day do you nurse?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, probably caused by the snacking instead of regular feeding. Maybe she's teething? That could account for everything you're describing.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh... iron in formula can cause green poops, I think...
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote