Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
blackberry75
Registered Users

Re: Quick, what would cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
She's getting 20 ounces of formula?? Babies only need 25-30oz a day, total!! So you could be overfeeding her. How much do you pump in a day? How many times a day do you nurse?
Pumping, I get maybe 5-6oz/day, we nurse on demand but on a work day she nurses 2 or 3 times during the day and once at night. On the weekends she nurses every 2-4h during the day and once at night. Although I go to bed myself around midnight usually, she nurses right around then so I count that as a daytime feeding not night time feeding.

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You could still nurse/pump on the same side in 4 hour blocks. Also, the formula may not agree with her tummy. Some littles are just very sensitive.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
blackberry75
Registered Users

Because of my supply issues/her tongue tie, she's been on formula for over a month and hasn't had any issues till now.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry75

Pumping, I get maybe 5-6oz/day, we nurse on demand but on a work day she nurses 2 or 3 times during the day and once at night. On the weekends she nurses every 2-4h during the day and once at night. Although I go to bed myself around midnight usually, she nurses right around then so I count that as a daytime feeding not night time feeding.
You get 5-6ozs total from how many pumping sessions? Your baby can get about 1oz more from each breast than the pump. So, if you do the math, she may be getting more bm than you think. You may be able to reduce how much you supplement.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor

You get 5-6ozs total from how many pumping sessions? Your baby can get about 1oz more from each breast than the pump. So, if you do the math, she may be getting more bm than you think. You may be able to reduce how much you supplement.
I agree, completely. LO is most likely being over fed, and the stools are an imbalance. That's a lot of milk/formula to be honest. How big are her bottles??
Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #16
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Could be a virus. Newborns (for me at least) seem to have mild cold symptoms (like runny/stuffy nose)!', but have green runny poops. Not all colds present with fever, but if she's fussy and off her game could just be a mild cold.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #17
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
I agree, completely. LO is most likely being over fed, and the stools are an imbalance. That's a lot of milk/formula to be honest. How big are her bottles??
The hubs gives her 4oz bottles and feeds until full, she doesn't always finish the bottle. I'm guessing 20oz of formula because that's how much I make before I leave for work and the pitcher is empty when I get home. The hubs pitches whatever she doesn't drink because we're worried about bacteria growth in the bottles if she drank some but didn't finish. I've asked him to keep a more accurate record so we know exactly how much formula she's actually eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmaxi View Post
Could be a virus. Newborns (for me at least) seem to have mild cold symptoms (like runny/stuffy nose)!', but have green runny poops. Not all colds present with fever, but if she's fussy and off her game could just be a mild cold.
She does have some nasal congestion, I didn't even think to put that down because the hubs and all the other kids have seasonal allergies that are really bad right now. I thought she just got them too.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't think a 2 month old can have seasonal allergies yet, I think they develop later.

Hope Bean feels better soon.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #19
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
It takes about 4 pumpings to get the 5-6oz. It can vary, some days I'll only get 2 or 3oz others I'll get the full 6oz, but the average is about 5oz. I missed this the other day, sorry 'bout that.