Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Patchworktiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Birth Assistant Books?

I am having my best friend be my "doula" at my birth around Thanksgiving Day. I had a doula with my first birth and was not impressed. I was let down by her not visiting us post birth until our son was about 2 months or so. I had the impression that a doula was going to come to the house and see to the breastfeeding, giving us helpful tips, and just generally lending a helping hand, if we'd needed it. I'm not interested in hiring another one, as I feel like someone who knows me very well will be a better fit.

I'd like to have my best friend be my birthing assistant, along with baby's father. She is strong-willed and I believe she will be the person chasing the nurse after she's left the room informing us of the next procedure. She will demand adherence to the birth plan and have the balls to say anything I'd ask her to.

Does anyone have any books, DVD's, or other informational resources that you can suggest for someone taking on this task? I'd want her to read about ways to help me with pain and stress, as well as a bit of "training" for the birth.

Advertisement

Patchworktiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
"The Birth Partner" by Penny Simpkin is really good! As I understand it, she's the champion behind the modern doula movement. I'd also recommend "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin as a fabulous book for you, your friend, and baby's father. She explains the whole process of birth and pregnancy so well, and there are lots of birth stories too. Hope you have a great experience with having your friend there!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
formunkyfrommommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birth Assistant Books?

was going to say the exact same things as poster above

also as a doula, I am so sorry that yours failed you so greatly, you were absolutely right to expect her to come within a day of your birth and to help you with breastfeeding and settling in!

wishing you a happy and supported next birth
Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Patchworktiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birth Assistant Books?

Thank you!!!
Patchworktiner is offline   Reply With Quote