Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #21
Registered Users
Re: She cant poop!!

Stress can certainly cause problems like you describe, both from not eating right, and not taking the time to follow daily bathroom routines.

Something that also might help is a touch of caffiene, as a mild stimulant. Chocolate milk used to work really well for me when I was mildly constipated (has a little caffiene, and I NEVER drink caffiene). My dh drinks coffee occasionally for this specific reason. The caffiene can get your intestinal muscles "moving". I would obviously not suggest coffee for your dd, but chocolate milk (chocolate rice milk, I guess) or some tea might be worth a try (early in the day so it doesn't mess with bedtime).

Hope she feels better soon...we have a lot of bowel problems in our family too, and stress can only make them worse.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:27 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:

My dd is frequently constipated and after trying just about everything suggested above, the Dr. said we could give 1 Tbsp Milk of Magnesia twice a day and that seems to be our magic potion for pooping. I just give it to her in a syringe & she takes it with no problems.

ETA: We gave baby enemas and suppositories, but it really just lubes everything up and doesn't help if the poop is too big/hard to come out. The Milk of Magnesia makes everything softer
Mom to Sophie 3/02, Lilly 10/05 and Jack 1/09

Last edited by amanda1188; 06-14-2006 at 05:30 PM.
amanda1188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #23
Registered Users
My Mood:

Psyllium husks!!! You can get them at the heakth food store. Just drink a spoonful with juice or water. It is major fiber action! My mom would give it to me when I was a kid whenever I was constipated or sick, and works so well! It also helps stop bleeding from fissures.

Drinking lots of fluids is helpful, too. Oh, I hope she's alright.
Christina ~ Grateful Wife and Play-At-Home-Mama To 2 Boys
MamaLove is offline   Reply With Quote