Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Any others "on call"?

Are you on call? Are you single? Because, now I am both and I am a little bit nervous. I finally found a childcare provider that is willing to watch ds however late in the evening I need, but I still have to have a friend pick him up before bedtime.
Is there any advice for how to cope with the lack of a schedule?

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any others "on call"?

What are you on call for? My DH is a prosecutor and goes on call twice a year where he has to go out to murder scenes and help with warrants. He avoids holidays like the plague, and prefers times with extreme weather, because he gets less call outs.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I work in 2 group homes for the developmentally disabled, in 2 different towns. I don't have a regular schedule, I'm the one that gets called in after a call off or emergencies. It's the kind of work that I'd do great with if I were not a parent, but ds doesn't seem to be handling it too well, he's one that likes to know what's happening the next day before he goes to bed. Hoping I'll be able to move to a regular schedule at some point, but with my school and ds's schooling in the fall, this was the best paying flexible position I could find.
How we are currently dealing with it is this- we make the most of time we have. If we've got time for the park, we're darn well going, or kite flying, etc.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you take your son? My SIL is the admin. for 4 different group homes for disabled/developmentally challenged and she takes her kids most of the time. The workers will watch them while she puts out fires.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any advice, but what type of notice are you typically given for these call situations? Are you technically on call or more of a float/perdiem that is top of the list for when the regular staff call out? Like - is it any night you can be called in? Or just a set week every month or so? How long until you can work into a regular position?

I'm a nurse for an agency working with the DD population. Right now I'm currently on call for 20 houses and about 130 residents... triage all the medical problems. I typically don't have to actually go in as many calls can be handled over the phone. Sometimes my weekends are back to back calls, (and I hope I don't jinx the rest of the weekend...) but I've only had 4 (simple!) calls today!

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
My husband sometimes is "on-call". Its generally just when big things are happening in the city, or big storms (hurricanes, tornados)..
Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am on call about 12 days per month, but this will be my first week back at work since having my sweet boy. I am still not sure how we are going to manage breastfeeding, pumping, work and call. I dont always have to go in, but the hours can be incredibly erratic. In addition, my husband is a volunteer firefighter, so we are hoping there aren't any fires when I'm on call! I hoping (praying) that with time things will fall into place and we will figure it out. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Alright, I'm finally back here! 3XBlessed, I am not allowed to have anyone at work with me.
Well, I've been working a solid 40 plus hours a week, and ds is adjusting....sort of. The first week we had really bad behavior, yelling, etc. Second week he had calmed down and just started staying up late to see me after work. This is going on the third week, and it's a struggle but we're getting it done somehow. Thanks for your advice ladies!