Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was raised by a crunchy mom, and I would be how you put it silky!

I have 2 dd's and if one were a boy he would have a circ.

My first DD I was sudated, epidural, and was far from natural. My DD2 was natural by shear speed. I had her in 5 hours of noticable contraction (most of which at home because I didn't know what was going on after being sent home from L&D the night before. From entering the hospital I was in active labor for 1hour tops went from 0-10 in 30 min and my body push baby out on its own with no water). So way no time for drugs but soooooo wish I had them!

I wanted to BF both my girls but never got milk in time. With DD1 we didn't know I needed a sheild so we formula fed, with DD2 my milk even the first part did not start for 2 weeks after I had her .

I CD because it is what DD2 needed. She has very sensitive skin, and can not be in the proper size sposie or she will get a rash. The money saved doesn't hurt!

I cosleep, but I believe they need to start in their own bed. I love to babywear, but only out of the house I feel that my kids need to explore! Also every kid is differetn my ODD didn't need held as often as YDD does.

I swear at times, my kids watch tv and I feed them junk food on occasion if it is warrented!

I think in the CD community there is a place for us tween mothers where we hold both natural and modern ideals. I think the new CD community is growing with mothers like me. I do have to say I was scared at first, but now after 4m it has been a blast and I am sad this is my last DD and I didn't start until she was 13m..... so PLing is around the corner.

Man that is long, but you asked! it does get better!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

I feel the same way sometimes! I love having my bed just me and hubby i was desperate to breastfeed and also had low supply i was heartbroken but now DD is flourishing developmentally, so i know i made the best decision. I think if I were to label myself on here it would be "I'm cheap" I do whatever I can to save my family money!
jlsquire0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsquire0324
I feel the same way sometimes! I love having my bed just me and hubby i was desperate to breastfeed and also had low supply i was heartbroken but now DD is flourishing developmentally, so i know i made the best decision. I think if I were to label myself on here it would be "I'm cheap" I do whatever I can to save my family money!
I agree! My ODD is 11 in middle school she started in pre k at w 2 weeks to her third birthday. She has been top of her class always. When we moved before her 5th grade year we knew she was advanced for her grade but they had no programs for kids like her and advancong her too 6th grade was not going too happen.... long story short they are going to reevaluate her for 7th grade, she may advance a grade.

She has never been BF and I get real upset when I get told its the best for kids and BF babies are smarter. My DD is rarley sick, and wicked smart. I think as a person this might be my only petpeeve I have.... rant over.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Re: Silky Cloth Diapering Mom?

I'm sort of in the same boat that you're in. I cloth diaper. I couldn't breastfeed (supply issues). I occasionally would babywear, but I'm just as likely to grab the stroller at this point. I reduce/reuse/recycle, and do what I can for the environment. However, I do circ my boys, and I vaccinate. :gasp:

I actually am in the very unpopular minority here and believe that full vaccination according to the AAP recommended schedule is best for *most* children. There I said it.

But I still hang out here (and I just avoid the anti-circ and anti-vax threads that make me cringe).
Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
mommybonner
Registered Users

I am a cloth diapering mom, but not crunchy at all! I can't even say we are really trying to cut down in our "footprint". I did breastfeed both boys till 7 months but then went to formula. They have never been worn and were sleeping in their crib in their room by 2 weeks. I stated cd when ds2 was 9 months old. I love it but don't feel I fit in with your average cd mommas.
mommybonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
I don't cloth diaper, I'm trying to breastfeed, I circ, I vaccinate, but I love to co-sleep and babywear.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
shivie239
Registered Users

I don't want I write a long post. I just want to say thank you for speaking up for the other side. I fall somewhere in the middle and it's so great to see someone write something that says its ok to be the kind of mom you want to be. :-)
shivie239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
tiam1980
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have to say that I'm no where near a crunchy mom either. I cd'd my DD for about a year but went back to work so had to stop. I chose clothies because of the cost and her skin allergies to sposies! Nothing to do with the environment or anything like that.

I do reuse, reduce and recycle but that's because my hubby is big into it, not necessarily me.

I also believe in vaccinations because I have an auto-immune disease (rheumatoid arthritis) and get anything going because of my decreased immune system. So we get any and all vaccinations recommended.

I don't believe in co-sleeping. It's not my thing, never will be. A marriage bed is for a husband and wife and that's it.

I also never did the baby-wearing thing because of my arthritis and simply couldn't. I did have a nice baby bjorn carrier but never did get to use it very much because of the discomfort to my back and hips.

I did my best to bf my dd but my milk didn't come in and I had to give up on it and formula feed her. I was broken-hearted but that was more the fact that I wanted her to have the health benefits from it more than anything.

I also had an epidural and will if I have any more babies. My poor body can't stand not having one because of my arthritis and the deterioration to my hips.

I do make and use mama cloth, but that's because I'm terribly allergic to disposable pads. I'd rather buy fabric and make them than waste money on disposables that irritate the heck out of me.

So I'm not really sure where I fit in on here either.

Last edited by tiam1980; 05-16-2012 at 07:37 PM.
tiam1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I hadn't even heard the term crunchy until stumbling onto this site. I had to ask my mother what it meant. She is a midwife so is often around self professed crunchy people. I started cloth not just because I like it and feel it is better for the invironment, but also for the necessity of it. $5 doesn't buy you a whole lot of anything. It does however buy you pins and plastic gerber pants or it did almost 9 years ago. Receiving blankets and t shirts cover the absorbtion needs.

I breastfeed because it seemed the normal and natural thing to do for us. I do not feed my kids organic because I cannot justify the cost. The same rain comes down on organic food as non organic.

I baby wear because it makes going out and about easier for us. I also take a stroller or let my baby sit in the seat of grocery carts when that is his preference. I rarely baby wear at home. I don't see why baby cannot play with the abundance of toys he has.

I try to line dry in the summer because of the cost savings not because of any firmly held beliefs. Truthfully if cost was not an issue I would rather machine dry. The clothes come out so much softer.

I use woolies because I love them and feel my son is more comfortable in them. Also I am gullible Katies Kisses told me wool was the best for my baby more than 8 years ago.

These are just for my daughter. She thought it would be fun to see them. So here they are.
:famil y2:

Last edited by qsefthuko; 05-16-2012 at 07:44 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheriJay View Post
So the more I learn about being Crunchy, the less I think I am. I mean, I LOVE cloth diapering, and I want to make my own baby food one of these days and I'm always trying to look for ways to reduce, reuse and recycle...but I think that's about it. I want to save the environment, but that's not what I understand "Crunchy" to mean.

I don't practice Attachment Parenting, I only baby wear when I'm going on walks, my daughter sleeps in her own crib in her own room, I don't think circumcision is child abuse (albeit I only have a daughter--no sons), I really liked having an epidural, and while I wanted to exclusively breast feed, I never made enough milk (and yes, yes, YES, I tried EVERYTHING) and so I supplement with formula whenever I need to after nursing. (And I don't think it's bad for other Mom's if they choose not to breastfeed.) So is there a place in the cloth diapering community for a silky Mama? Or should I pack up my toys and go home? I feel like in order to cloth diaper your child, you have to have all these other beliefs, too. Does anyone else feel like this? I feel really lonely in the cloth diapering world...

Mama--you described me perfectly. And (gasp) I even use sposies some of the time. Parenting is about doing what is right for your family.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote