Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
atria
Registered Users
seller

Un-vaxed and previously SAH 2 year old going to school. Thoughts on keeping healthy?

Hey all,

I previously posted about my 2 year old DD going to Montessori next month and my guilt about going back to work. Anyway, I received so much support and I thank you.

Now that school is almost a month away, my mind is going with some specific worries. I don't vax and don't intend to change that due to beliefs, so she is un-vaxed. She has also stayed at home with me these past 2 years- no regular play dates with other kiddos, no siblings to pass germs back and forth, just not a lot of germ exposure at all.

- Can you please recommend any staying healthy tips for (young) LOs starting school? Any supplements, foods to help immunity, etc? Any thoughts appreciated!

BTW, if there is info. elsewhere or on another thread- do tell as I didn't find it.

Advertisement

atria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Un-vaxed and previously SAH 2 year old going to school. Thoughts on keeping healt

IMHO kids mostly get colds when they go to school. It's not like there is going to be a measles and polio outbreak, so if they are unvaxed I think they would suffer the same fate as any other vaxed kid.

If you breast feed I would continue that. Other than that, I haven't found anything (other than time) that really works.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Un-vaxed and previously SAH 2 year old going to school. Thoughts on keeping healt

Does your daughter tend to put things in her mouth?

Two year olds tend to catch a lot of common colds. I would teach her to wash her hands and try to work on not putting things in her mouth. Otherwise, there is not much you can do to prevent colds in a daycare setting.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
navywifeq
Registered Users
seller
seller

We were in the same exact situation a few months ago (except DS was 18 months). We continued to nurse before/after school and at night. I started giving him Vit C drops with his fish oil before we started too. I won't lie; he got a lot of colds and a bout of roseola. He was perpetually sick for about 2 months. But now he's great and we def didn't have any issues with VPD.
Good luck going back to work Mama! It's so hard after you've been home with them all that time but I can honestly say 6 months on the other side of it, I have no regrets. The Montessori setting has been amazing for DS and he thrives there! It was a transition for sure but it had overall been a positive for our family. Best of luck to you and your LO!
navywifeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
atria
Registered Users
seller

She certainly does tend to put things in her mouth. It's not as bad as it used to be, though.

I wonder about incorporating more Vitamin C? I will try to do some reading about any of this. I wonder if kiddos at age 2 can start children's vitamins?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by atria View Post
She certainly does tend to put things in her mouth. It's not as bad as it used to be, though.

I wonder about incorporating more Vitamin C? I will try to do some reading about any of this. I wonder if kiddos at age 2 can start children's vitamins?
If your LO eats a fairly balanced diet, she should receive all of the vitamins that she needs. Absent an actual deficiency, supplemental vitamins make for expensive pee.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
doodah
Registered Users
seller

make sure the school has a tight sickness policy! even some nicer schools like Montessori may have lax approached to illness with kids.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids

If your LO eats a fairly balanced diet, she should receive all of the vitamins that she needs. Absent an actual deficiency, supplemental vitamins make for expensive pee.
This

Be prepared for some minor sickness. Even my friend who uses daycare 1x a week has seen a great increase in all the minor things.

But she should build up immunities quickly.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
atria
Registered Users
seller

I hate to hear that these kiddos will get sick a lot. I know that is how we build immunity, though. Bless em'.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

The reality is that toddlers are germ factories. Most will spend a few months on and off being sick with runny nose type things. Probably nothing major. When my dd was in daycare there were always notices about the latest illness some kid had. Chicken pox was the only one a vaccine existed for though.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote