View Poll Results: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people don't?
Yes, primarily because of herd immunity. 118 27.83%
Yes, but not primarily because of herd immunity. 24 5.66%
No, but I wish they would. 40 9.43%
No, vaccines are a personal choice. 134 31.60%
I do not vaccinate my children. 85 20.05%
I like polls and want to see the results without answering. 23 5.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #111
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd123 View Post
The pertussis vaccine prevents symptoms. It does not prevent infection and transmission. The CDC states this.
interesting, could you provide a link to this info? thanks

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 17, Seth 10, Pandora Moonlilly 6 and Nevermore Stargazer 3, married to my awesome sahd artist husband of 7 years
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #112
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
I (the OP) wasn't talking about you. In the original post I mentioned that this didn't include families who couldn't vax for a legitimate medical concern. I want the bulk of healthy kids (and adults for that matter) to be vaxxed to protect people like your son who can't
I know, I was replying to the other statements that people made that said it shouldn't be a personal/parental choice.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #113
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadducky112
I have strong opinions about this but im not going to agrue with anyone about it, ill just say that I consider herd immunity so important and the fact that there are people out there not vaccinating their kids scares me and also pisses me off.
Same here.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #114
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

We vaccinate because our state does not allow for any exemptions for school entrance (other than medical). It does not bother me if others choose not to vax.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #115
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
I (the OP) wasn't talking about you. In the original post I mentioned that this didn't include families who couldn't vax for a legitimate medical concern. I want the bulk of healthy kids (and adults for that matter) to be vaxxed to protect people like your son who can't
But it seems that the person you are replying to only found out that her child couldn't tolerate the vaccines AFTER they were given. Some of us don't want to find out after the fact and after our children have had a reaction to a vaccine. I'd rather take my chances with the diseases, as crazy as that sounds to some people. In many cases, the risk of adverse reaction to the vaccine is higher than the risk of contracting the disease and having serious complications.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #116
KLJ07
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
interesting, could you provide a link to this info? thanks
These are not links stating that the vaccine doesn't prevent symptoms, only that the symptoms could appear to be something else (like a cold, bronchitis, etc.).

Here's a link from the FDA http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM101580.pdf

Pertussis
Pertussis (whooping cough) is a disease of the respiratory tract caused by Bordetella pertussis. This gram-negative coccobacillus produces a variety of biologically active components. The role of the different components produced by B pertussis in either the pathogenesis of, or immunity to, pertussis is not well understood.12
Pertussis is highly communicable (with attack rates of up to 100% in susceptible individuals with intense exposure13) and can cause severe disease, particularly among young infants. Since pertussis became a nationally reportable disease in the US in 1922, the highest number of pertussis cases (approximately 260,000) was reported in 1934. Following introduction and widespread use of the whole-cell pertussis DTP vaccines (Diphtheria and Tetanus Toxoids and Pertussis Vaccine Adsorbed – For Pediatric Use) among infants and children in the mid to late 1940s, pertussis incidence gradually declined, reaching a historical low of 1,010 cases in 1976.14
Concerns about the safety of whole-cell pertussis DTP vaccines prompted the development of less reactogenic DTaP vaccines that contain purified antigens of B pertussis. DTaP vaccines were first available for use in infants in the US in 1996 and have been routinely recommended for all doses of the vaccination series for infants and children 6 weeks to <7 years of age since 1997.15
The incidence of pertussis among children aged 6 months to 4 years has remained stable throughout the 1990s, suggesting that protection offered by vaccination has continued with the introduction of DTaP vaccines.14,16 Conversely, an increase in pertussis among infants too young to receive 3 doses of pertussis-containing vaccine suggests a true increase in pertussis circulation.14 Atypical infection, including nonspecific symptoms of bronchitis or upper respiratory tract infection, may occur at any age but more commonly in older children and adults, including some who were previously immunized. In these cases, pertussis may not be diagnosed because classic signs, particularly the inspiratory whoop, may be absent.17 Surveillance data from the 1990s indicates an increase in the pertussis rate among adolescents and adults who may also play a role in transmission to infants.5,14

From Sanofi Pasteur: "It is unknown whether immunizing adolescents and
adults against pertussis will reduce the risk of transmission
to infants.8"
http://www.vaccineplace.com/support/...ntbrochure.pdf

So basically, someone who thinks they have a bad cold, etc. could actually have pertussis and not be taking precautionary measures, therefore spreading it without knowing it.

Last edited by KLJ07; 05-17-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: adding info.
KLJ07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #117
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

nm
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #118
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
But it seems that the person you are replying to only found out that her child couldn't tolerate the vaccines AFTER they were given. Some of us don't want to find out after the fact and after our children have had a reaction to a vaccine. I'd rather take my chances with the diseases, as crazy as that sounds to some people. In many cases, the risk of adverse reaction to the vaccine is higher than the risk of contracting the disease and having serious complications.
This. I won't vax any future kids because of what dd had to deal with. I won't take the risk. So I guess I'll be a "fraud" and use the religious exemption for ds and dd2 so that they can still attend public school

Maybe the reason vax rates are declining is because they are causing so many bad reactions.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #119
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg2043 View Post
I had a grandfather who contracted polio and had to drop out of dentistry school My mother had measles and mumps. They would have appreciated a vaccine and made sure once it was invented subsequent generations had it. It never even occurred to me not to vax. It irritates me when people do not since the vaccines have successfully eliminated many diseases for years and now suddenly we are having outbreaks again.
The only problem with this logic is that those diseases were eradicated, and more have come on the scene. What will we do when more diseases come into play because of the damages that have been done to our immune systems and our disease-fighting abilities due to overuse of vaccines and antibiotics? We cannot vaccinate children for every single bug they will ever be exposed to. At some point, you have to want them to have a strong immune system that can fight disease on its own.

The way I see the statistics is not how many children GET an illness, but how many are damaged or dying from an illness. Do we really need to vaccinate for a stomach virus because one in a thousand kids MIGHT get dehydrated? (this is just a random number to prove my point - NOT fact) a child who gets chicken pox will have lifelong immunity, as will one that contracts measles, mumps or rubella. MOST cases of these will be as inconvenient as a case of strep or an ear infection. We don't vaccinate for those (though I wouldn't be surprised if the day will come...). I just don't know when it could possibly end.

In my experience, with 4 unvaxed kiddos, and many kids in our family with varying degrees of vaxing, the unvaxed ones have VERY strong immune systems. I have a niece who contracted chicken pox from the vax, then caught it AGAIN the next year. I have 2 nephews whose behaviors totally changed after toddler MMR vaccines. Both are on the autism spectrum. Both were developing perfectly normally BEFORE that shot. I have a great nephew who has been life-flighted to the pediatric ER with meningitis, AFTER his series and booster were complete. He contracted meningitis a second time within 18 months of the first.

What floors me is that we push all these things to help babies' immune systems fight off disease? How about we push breastfeeding as a natural way to boost their immune systems? Why will people bash the choices of educated moms who don't vaccinate, but not push bf at the risk of offending a ff mom?

Vaccines are helpful to a point. I'm not denying they serve a purpose, but there are MANY more factors regarding what has happened in our society to get us to the point where we are pushed to vaccinate against so many diseases in order to stay "healthy."
Stacey, wife to Steve, Mom to 26yod, 24yod, 22yod, 20yos, Granny to 4 and #5 due 1/16
Step-mom to 28yoss & step-granny to 5, Caretaker of 2 dogs, 5 cats + Kool & the Gang (my roo and his "chicks")
Christian SAHM/Granny & Disney travel planner - hbirthed, b-fed, cd'd, co-slept, sel/delay vax, didn't circ
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #120
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengranny View Post
The only problem with this logic is that those diseases were eradicated, and more have come on the scene. What will we do when more diseases come into play because of the damages that have been done to our immune systems and our disease-fighting abilities due to overuse of vaccines and antibiotics? We cannot vaccinate children for every single bug they will ever be exposed to. At some point, you have to want them to have a strong immune system that can fight disease on its own.

The way I see the statistics is not how many children GET an illness, but how many are damaged or dying from an illness. Do we really need to vaccinate for a stomach virus because one in a thousand kids MIGHT get dehydrated? (this is just a random number to prove my point - NOT fact) a child who gets chicken pox will have lifelong immunity, as will one that contracts measles, mumps or rubella. MOST cases of these will be as inconvenient as a case of strep or an ear infection. We don't vaccinate for those (though I wouldn't be surprised if the day will come...). I just don't know when it could possibly end.

In my experience, with 4 unvaxed kiddos, and many kids in our family with varying degrees of vaxing, the unvaxed ones have VERY strong immune systems. I have a niece who contracted chicken pox from the vax, then caught it AGAIN the next year. I have 2 nephews whose behaviors totally changed after toddler MMR vaccines. Both are on the autism spectrum. Both were developing perfectly normally BEFORE that shot. I have a great nephew who has been life-flighted to the pediatric ER with meningitis, AFTER his series and booster were complete. He contracted meningitis a second time within 18 months of the first.

What floors me is that we push all these things to help babies' immune systems fight off disease? How about we push breastfeeding as a natural way to boost their immune systems? Why will people bash the choices of educated moms who don't vaccinate, but not push bf at the risk of offending a ff mom?

Vaccines are helpful to a point. I'm not denying they serve a purpose, but there are MANY more factors regarding what has happened in our society to get us to the point where we are pushed to vaccinate against so many diseases in order to stay "healthy."
Very well said. I totally agree.

My kids are delayed/partially vaxed. And for the record, DD2 got measles FROM the measles shot. So irritating. I wish I wouldn't have given her that one, and I will not give it to any future children. To me shots are a personal choice. I don't like the "herd immunity" thing. First of all, we're not cattle and shouldn't be treated as such. Secondly if the shots don't work well enough to prevent the illness after you have been exposed, then what is the point of getting the shot in the first place. I think the vaccine's effectiveness (or lack thereof) is what people should be upset about (if anything..), not that other people do not vax. It really is a very personal choice.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote