View Poll Results: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people don't?
Yes, primarily because of herd immunity. 118 27.83%
Yes, but not primarily because of herd immunity. 24 5.66%
No, but I wish they would. 40 9.43%
No, vaccines are a personal choice. 134 31.60%
I do not vaccinate my children. 85 20.05%
I like polls and want to see the results without answering. 23 5.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #121
KLJ07
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Here's some more info. on the transmission of pertussis when vaccinated. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/6/5...12_article.htm

"A recent study by Yaari et al. showed that infection in a vaccinated person causes milder, nonspecific disease, without the three classical clinical stages (7). Whooping cough is seen in only 6% of such cases; instead, the illness is characterized by a nonspecific, prolonged cough, lasting several weeks to months. Because of these atypical symptoms, pertussis infection is underdiagnosed in adults and adolescents, who may be reservoirs for infection of unvaccinated infants (8-10). In a study in France, up to 80% of infections in unvaccinated children were acquired from siblings and parents, suggesting that adults and even young siblings play a fundamental role in the transmission of pertussis (11).

We demonstrated B. pertussis infection in fully vaccinated children ages 2-3 years and 5-6 years who had contact with an infected child. We investigated whether younger or recently vaccinated children may be protected from classical clinical illness but remain susceptible to infection and become asymptomatic carriers."

Advertisement

Last edited by KLJ07; 05-17-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: forgot to quote
KLJ07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #122
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Totally not the same thing. Ur child can't catch breastfeeding. If your child is in the same class at school as mine and gets chickenpox or whooping cough then my child is exposed and often before u know ur kid is sick. U don't want to vaccinate that is ur choice however don't pretend it doesn't effect others because it does.
A child may not be able to "catch" breastfeeding, but breastfed babies/toddlers have healthier immune systems and natural immunities that ff babies do not. It is possible that having a low percentage of moms that breastfeed causes more illness. I know that my bf babies could be around sick kids all the time and never catch anything, but my brother's ff twins were on maintenance antibiotics for almost a YEAR of their little lives.
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #123
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLily View Post
I voted for the first choice, but really it doesn't bother me that much. As in - I would never vote for legislation that would force a parent to vaccinate their child. I would, however, consider voting for legislation that prevented children without certain vaccinations (particularly, the one for pertussis) from attending public schools. Our state provides online public school to all children that would otherwise qualify for public education that would be an excellent alternative.

I am sure this thread will get cranky, because all vaccination threads get cranky on here. And I am sure someone will be offended at my comment above, but I totally don't mean to be offensive or imply that non-vaccinated children should be excluded from having an education. Really, I think the best thing would be if sick people stayed home from work, and parents kept their sick kids home and out of public (including schools/daycare) until they were well again INCLUDING basic colds. But they don't.
I think this is how I feel.

Does it bug me? Yes.

Would I ever vote to take your right away to not vaccinate? No.
I don't think it's the government's job to tell people to do things like vaccinate.

but......... I do think that government funded things, like public schools, should be allowed to have regulations on things like that. So, it's fine if you don't, but this thing requires that you do, so you can opt out of both.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #124
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengranny View Post
A child may not be able to "catch" breastfeeding, but breastfed babies/toddlers have healthier immune systems and natural immunities that ff babies do not. It is possible that having a low percentage of moms that breastfeed causes more illness. I know that my bf babies could be around sick kids all the time and never catch anything, but my brother's ff twins were on maintenance antibiotics for almost a YEAR of their little lives.
lol - not my experience at ALL.

My friend's ebf child gets sick all the time. He seems to catch everything. He's 17 months or so now and no longer breastfed. I have another friend who both she and her mom catch everything and she was breastfed. So, I concluded from that that the mom didn't have the antibodies to pass on or something.

If mom doesn't have it, it's not getting passed through the breastmilk. I see plenty of sick ebf kids to know that being breastfed does not equal rarely getting sick.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #125
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
Do you take him to the park? What about when he is older and in activites and school and you can't wear him. He is going to be exposed to these diseases. You can't prevent that.
I was thinking this, too. In fact, it's kind of scary to me to think that a child of such an age so rarely comes in contact with ANYTHING other than his/her home environment. It's kind of like keeping a child in a bubble
My kids eat boogers, dirt, food off the floor, and touch many a shopping cart. Honestly, as younger kids they get frequent colds but as they've gotten older they RARELY get sick. In fact, my 10 y/o hasn't been sick in almost two years aside from a headache every now and then. I don't have clinical research to back it up, but I would think that exposure to germs helps build immunity rather than avoiding the germs altogether .
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #126
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
But it seems that the person you are replying to only found out that her child couldn't tolerate the vaccines AFTER they were given. Some of us don't want to find out after the fact and after our children have had a reaction to a vaccine. I'd rather take my chances with the diseases, as crazy as that sounds to some people. In many cases, the risk of adverse reaction to the vaccine is higher than the risk of contracting the disease and having serious complications.
And this is exactly why we don't vaccinate ds2. Ds1 had reactions after each vaccine he was given, I'm not taking the chances with ds2, and our Doctor supports that.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #127
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengranny

So are u saying you would be ok with your non vaxed baby around someone with pertussis because u bf? I am not against bfing nor do I question the good it does however I was commenting on what the poster said comparing bfing to vaxing. If a parent chooses to bf their child or not doesnt effect my child. A parent deciding to not vax their child could effect my child. That was my point.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #128
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPerfectLife View Post
I was thinking this, too. In fact, it's kind of scary to me to think that a child of such an age so rarely comes in contact with ANYTHING other than his/her home environment. It's kind of like keeping a child in a bubble
My kids eat boogers, dirt, food off the floor, and touch many a shopping cart. Honestly, as younger kids they get frequent colds but as they've gotten older they RARELY get sick. In fact, my 10 y/o hasn't been sick in almost two years aside from a headache every now and then. I don't have clinical research to back it up, but I would think that exposure to germs helps build immunity rather than avoiding the germs altogether .
Mom has germs on her though. Germs from other adults, kids, touching things etc. So baby does get exposed to germs. You don't need to eat things off the floor or sit in a shopping cart to be exposed to germs. I'm one of those people who think germs are good. Yes we eat healthy and practice good hygeine, but I also think playing in the dirt, being hands on, etc are all good and healthy for kids. But I am also a "babywearer" and wear my babies when I'm out (for bonding and breastfeeding, not for keeping germs away) just like the PP was saying. My babies have all gotten germs from me, but they both have only been sick once which was mild and not as babies. Wearing the baby when out and about doesn't put baby in a bubble, just puts baby close to mom.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #129
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengranny View Post
The only problem with this logic is that those diseases were eradicated, and more have come on the scene. What will we do when more diseases come into play because of the damages that have been done to our immune systems and our disease-fighting abilities due to overuse of vaccines and antibiotics? We cannot vaccinate children for every single bug they will ever be exposed to. At some point, you have to want them to have a strong immune system that can fight disease on its own.

The way I see the statistics is not how many children GET an illness, but how many are damaged or dying from an illness. Do we really need to vaccinate for a stomach virus because one in a thousand kids MIGHT get dehydrated? (this is just a random number to prove my point - NOT fact) a child who gets chicken pox will have lifelong immunity, as will one that contracts measles, mumps or rubella. MOST cases of these will be as inconvenient as a case of strep or an ear infection. We don't vaccinate for those (though I wouldn't be surprised if the day will come...). I just don't know when it could possibly end.

In my experience, with 4 unvaxed kiddos, and many kids in our family with varying degrees of vaxing, the unvaxed ones have VERY strong immune systems. I have a niece who contracted chicken pox from the vax, then caught it AGAIN the next year. I have 2 nephews whose behaviors totally changed after toddler MMR vaccines. Both are on the autism spectrum. Both were developing perfectly normally BEFORE that shot. I have a great nephew who has been life-flighted to the pediatric ER with meningitis, AFTER his series and booster were complete. He contracted meningitis a second time within 18 months of the first.

What floors me is that we push all these things to help babies' immune systems fight off disease? How about we push breastfeeding as a natural way to boost their immune systems? Why will people bash the choices of educated moms who don't vaccinate, but not push bf at the risk of offending a ff mom?

Vaccines are helpful to a point. I'm not denying they serve a purpose, but there are MANY more factors regarding what has happened in our society to get us to the point where we are pushed to vaccinate against so many diseases in order to stay "healthy."
Um, those diseases haven't been completely eradicated
http://www.polioeradication.org/Data...othisweek.aspx
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #130
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
If your son contracted a disease that was life threatening and either drastically changed his life (unable to speak/walk normally) or took his life, would you feel the same way?
It would be difficult to live with ones' self if this happened. But it'd be even harder for ME to live with MYself (and I know this wasn't directed at me), if I injected my child with something willingly that caused similar devastating results. And it DOES happen.
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote