View Poll Results: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people don't?
Yes, primarily because of herd immunity. 118 27.83%
Yes, but not primarily because of herd immunity. 24 5.66%
No, but I wish they would. 40 9.43%
No, vaccines are a personal choice. 134 31.60%
I do not vaccinate my children. 85 20.05%
I like polls and want to see the results without answering. 23 5.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #131
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Mom has germs on her though. Germs from other adults, kids, touching things etc. So baby does get exposed to germs. You don't need to eat things off the floor or sit in a shopping cart to be exposed to germs. I'm one of those people who think germs are good. Yes we eat healthy and practice good hygeine, but I also think playing in the dirt, being hands on, etc are all good and healthy for kids. But I am also a "babywearer" and wear my babies when I'm out (for bonding and breastfeeding, not for keeping germs away) just like the PP was saying. My babies have all gotten germs from me, but they both have only been sick once which was mild and not as babies. Wearing the baby when out and about doesn't put baby in a bubble, just puts baby close to mom.
I agree, I am a babywearin' mama as well. I just found it strange that she couldn't think of ONE OTHER SINGLE place that her child came directly in contact with than the doctor's office. That's all . Also, my kids LOVE riding in the cart and I always get really defensive about that ... they seriously giggle the whole time. A little OT .... sorry.

Advertisement

Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #132
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I haven't read everything. My thought is it's a personal choice. We vaccinate but I have friends who don't or who do delayed vaxing. To each their own.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #133
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Why isn't car seat usage a personal and parental choice?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #134
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Both of my children are very healthy. My ods is 6 yrs old and rarely gets sick. He was ff and vaxed on schedule. My yds is 7months and he was ebf up until 6months and is still bf at night. He get formula during the day. He is also being vaxed on schedule. It doesn't matter to me if someone else chooses not to vaccinate their children. I chose to because the things that are vaccinated against have affected my family and my SOs family personally. So its important to US. I do like that if there was an outbreak in public school, unvaxed kids would not be allowed to go to school. To me that protects them more than protecting my vaxed kid because they could get the sickness/disease and it could affect them more than others.
dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #135
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahcapemay View Post
Funny, I always seriously wondered this about adult seatbelt use ...
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #136
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eahcapemay
Where I grew up, it almost was. I was out of a carseat by 3 and always rode in the middle of the front seat next to my dad. I know people who still do this. This is in my hometown and its small (like 1000 people, if that) and the speed limit is 25mph. Where I live now, children need to be in car seats because there are a lot of dumb drivers out on the road and they are traveling pretty fast.
dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #137
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410
OP, yes it definitely bothers me. vaccination is unfortunately not strictly a personal choice that exists in a vacuum. it will effect the children that live around and spend time near that unvaccinated child. it is a danger to others. i'm sure this thread will blow up with controversy, but just wanted to say that yes, it is bothersome to me. it's a matter of public health and people try to spin it like it's just another neutral choice for their own family.
This.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #138
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
So are u saying you would be ok with your non vaxed baby around someone with pertussis because u bf? I am not against bfing nor do I question the good it does however I was commenting on what the poster said comparing bfing to vaxing. If a parent chooses to bf their child or not doesnt effect my child. A parent deciding to not vax their child could effect my child. That was my point.
What I'm saying is that my bf kids have been exposed to a LOT of sick children/adults in their lives and haven't caught the illnesses. Since we don't know which adults or teens (or even children) could be potentially transmitting pertussis when they have what appears to be a cold or bronchitis, I don't know that they weren't exposed. I had a home daycare when my kids were young and I kept several children who, at various times, came over sick with colds, fever, etc. I never had an issue with them coming sick because my kids never seemed to pick up anything from them. The only thing ever transmitted was chicken pox. Oldest dd went to school one year, and she brought them home (this was pre chicken-pox vaccine so it wasn't transmitted by a vaxed child). All of my kids and the daycare kids I kept had it within a few weeks. It was a total non-issue. They were a bit grumpy and ran low fevers, but that was it.

Couple the immunities with the antibodies that mom produces when she and baby are exposed to germs/disease, and yeah, I'd be a lot more comfortable with a nursing baby exposed to things than a ff one.
Stacey, wife to Steve, Mom to 26yod, 24yod, 22yod, 20yos, Granny to 4 and #5 due 1/16
Step-mom to 28yoss & step-granny to 5, Caretaker of 2 dogs, 5 cats + Kool & the Gang (my roo and his "chicks")
Christian SAHM/Granny & Disney travel planner - hbirthed, b-fed, cd'd, co-slept, sel/delay vax, didn't circ
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #139
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPerfectLife

I agree, I am a babywearin' mama as well. I just found it strange that she couldn't think of ONE OTHER SINGLE place that her child came directly in contact with than the doctor's office. That's all . Also, my kids LOVE riding in the cart and I always get really defensive about that ... they seriously giggle the whole time. A little OT .... sorry.
What I stated was that during that time he had not contact with anyone besides close friends! I also said that most weeks we only leave the house 1-2 times. At least one of those are running errands, the bank, the post office, the grocery store, etc. My son is still worn during all these times. It's just easiest and what we prefer. He's still exposed to all sorts of things. We go to the park, the zoo, homeschool co-op, church, etc. But, during that particular time we had only been with friends (who we would have later found out if they got the CP, kwim?)

I'm certainly aware that I can't wear him forever. Just do be clear I don't wear him bc I'm worried about him coming into contact with germs. I wear him for one reason, because it's convienent.

He's breastfed and I plan to breastfeed him until around age 4 (or longer). In my opinion I believe that sets him up with a healthy immune system for life! I think he'd handle pretty easily any childhood disease that may come his way.

That's our life and how we choose to live. I'm fully confident in our choices. My son is extremely healthy and I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #140
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPerfectLife View Post
Um, those diseases haven't been completely eradicated
http://www.polioeradication.org/Data...othisweek.aspx
Oh I apologize. I was referring to here in the US. I think there have been 4 cases since 1979, other than the ones caused from vaccines.
Stacey, wife to Steve, Mom to 26yod, 24yod, 22yod, 20yos, Granny to 4 and #5 due 1/16
Step-mom to 28yoss & step-granny to 5, Caretaker of 2 dogs, 5 cats + Kool & the Gang (my roo and his "chicks")
Christian SAHM/Granny & Disney travel planner - hbirthed, b-fed, cd'd, co-slept, sel/delay vax, didn't circ

Last edited by greengranny; 05-17-2012 at 03:52 PM.
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote