View Poll Results: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people don't?
Yes, primarily because of herd immunity. 118 27.83%
Yes, but not primarily because of herd immunity. 24 5.66%
No, but I wish they would. 40 9.43%
No, vaccines are a personal choice. 134 31.60%
I do not vaccinate my children. 85 20.05%
I like polls and want to see the results without answering. 23 5.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #31
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

I think it is a personal choice. I do however think if the unvaxing trend continues to rise then these diseases will come back. It won't happen with our generation of children, but I think it could with their children. Then our grandchildren will be at greatest risk for these diseases that our grandparents had no choice but be exposed to.

Since it is a personal choice, I'm very glad my kids are vax'd and I don't have to worry about my kids getting horribly sick or dying of a disease that I could have prevented.

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #32
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I feel similar. It's the parents choice, no one else's. A vaccinated child can cause an unvaccinated child to get sick too, some people would consider vaxxed children to be a risk to their unvaxxed child. It works both ways.
Hmmmm, I don't agree with this. Vaccinations are there to prevent disease and to keep these diseases at bay. Vaccinations are at the very least highly recommended. Those who vax are helping protect those who don't by continuing to keep the diseases at bay. In a way it is a blanket protection. I'm asking this question b/c I don't know but, in what way would a vaccinated child cause an unvaccinated child to get sick? I'm guessing from the vaccine shedding?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #33
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, but I wish they would.

A thought recently occurred to me regarding chicken pox (younger two are not vaccinated against it) and shingles. I've gotten the impression that since the chicken pox vaccine, there have been more outbreaks of shingles in younger people than usual. The idea is that since kids aren't getting the actual disease, people who have had it aren't getting their immunity boosters from being around kids that have it and are more likely to get a case of shingles.

So it seems like a bad idea to vaccinate since shingles are going up.

BUT

All the kiddies getting vaccinated now can't get shingles because they won't have had the chicken pox. Once these kids grow up there won't be a need for natural boosters to avoid shingles. The generations who did have the virus will slowly pass away. The next generations will continue to be vaccinated and chicken pox-and ultimately shingles-free.

I am reconsidering the chicken pox vaccine.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #34
Kmccall08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
I think it is a personal choice. I do however think if the unvaxing trend continues to rise then these diseases will come back. It won't happen with our generation of children, but I think it could with their children. Then our grandchildren will be at greatest risk for these diseases that our grandparents had no choice but be exposed to.

Since it is a personal choice, I'm very glad my kids are vax'd and I don't have to worry about my kids getting horribly sick or dying of a disease that I could have prevented.
I agree but I will say vaccines do make me a little nervous because of side effect risk but I think those risks are very low compared to the risk of not getting the vaccines.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #35
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Hmm. I voted "yes, primarily because of herd immunity". I guess my view is that while to vaccinate or not is absolutely the right of every family to decide on for themselves, it is one of the few parenting decisions where I think there is one choice that is the generally safer and socially responsible choice. I'd say it bothers me about the same as when I see people misuse or fail to use carseats.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #36
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Hmm. I voted "yes, primarily because of herd immunity". I guess my view is that while to vaccinate or not is absolutely the right of every family to decide on for themselves, it is one of the few parenting decisions where I think there is one choice that is the generally safer and socially responsible choice. I'd say it bothers me about the same as when I see people misuse or fail to use carseats.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #37
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
No, but I wish they would.

A thought recently occurred to me regarding chicken pox (younger two are not vaccinated against it) and shingles. I've gotten the impression that since the chicken pox vaccine, there have been more outbreaks of shingles in younger people than usual. The idea is that since kids aren't getting the actual disease, people who have had it aren't getting their immunity boosters from being around kids that have it and are more likely to get a case of shingles.

So it seems like a bad idea to vaccinate since shingles are going up.

BUT

All the kiddies getting vaccinated now can't get shingles because they won't have had the chicken pox. Once these kids grow up there won't be a need for natural boosters to avoid shingles. The generations who did have the virus will slowly pass away. The next generations will continue to be vaccinated and chicken pox-and ultimately shingles-free.
I am reconsidering the chicken pox vaccine.
Unfortunately, my understanding is that this is not the case. The varicella vaccine is an attenuated vaccine and just like after a case of chicken pox, the child will have the virus dormant in their system and it can be activated in the form of shingles. My understanding is that the little research that has been completed seems to show that vaccinated people are less likely than those who had the virus to contract shingles. If this turns out to be the case over time both chicken pox and shingles will become more and more rare, but because a person can contract chicken pox from shingles, I think this disease is less likely than some to be eliminated entirely - at least not without much higher rates of vaccination over a much greater time period.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #38
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The whooping cough vaccine has a very short effectiveness rate http://children.webmd.com/vaccines/n...erm-protection
Also someone who has had whooping cough does not have lifelong immunity. Illness is part of life. Nature has a way of balancing things out even if we try to stop it.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #39
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadducky112 View Post
I have strong opinions about this but im not going to agrue with anyone about it, ill just say that I consider herd immunity so important and the fact that there are people out there not vaccinating their kids scares me and also pisses me off.
I'm with you!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #40
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

We vaccinate on a selective/delayed schedule...doesn't bother me when people don't vaccinate, its a personal choice.

Now, I will say it bothers me more when people don't vaccinate out of sheer laziness & lack of medical care in general for their children...if you're not vaccinating because you've researched & understand it and/or because of a true medical reason not to (allergic reaction, that sort of thing), then I get it. But people that don't vaccinate or provide medical care for their children at all because its just too much of a hassle for the parent to deal with...I just don't understand that. Still, overall, to each their own.