View Poll Results: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people don't?
Yes, primarily because of herd immunity. 118 27.83%
Yes, but not primarily because of herd immunity. 24 5.66%
No, but I wish they would. 40 9.43%
No, vaccines are a personal choice. 134 31.60%
I do not vaccinate my children. 85 20.05%
I like polls and want to see the results without answering. 23 5.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #41
smashncakes's Avatar
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: southern Illinois
Posts: 5,220
My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
Hmmmm, I don't agree with this. Vaccinations are there to prevent disease and to keep these diseases at bay. Vaccinations are at the very least highly recommended. Those who vax are helping protect those who don't by continuing to keep the diseases at bay. In a way it is a blanket protection. I'm asking this question b/c I don't know but, in what way would a vaccinated child cause an unvaccinated child to get sick? I'm guessing from the vaccine shedding?
I would assume that would be the general line of thought. That said...a lot of people don't realize that many of the vaccinations aren't 100% guaranteed to protect a person from an illness. With many of them, the goal is to push towards herd immunity and to reduce symptoms in those who *do* manage to get the disease. My daughter got the measles from her MMR vaccine (verified by two doctors and reported to VAERS)...my niece, who was vaccinated, then got it from my daughter...we originally took DD to the ER after she broke out and they told us it was impossible for her to have the measles because she had been vaccinated, and my niece was around her during the time right before she started showing symptoms and when she first started showing symptoms. We took our DD to the ped the day after the ER and he immediately recognized it as measles though...brought in another doctor to verify before reporting it as a vaccine reaction. Our local public school "requires" the chicken pox vaccine (..there's exemption waivers available, but the school does not tell people that, so many people really do think its required). This last year, about a third of the kids in the school ended up getting chicken pox...ALL of them were vaccinated. Pediatricians (the two whoppin' peds we've got in our small town ) said they were all mild cases, but it was strange that so many of the vaccinated kids got it in the first place...but the vaccine helped to reduce symptoms & time of illness.

We're in an area where people tend to be very gung-ho about vaccinating because its what the doctor tells you to do...the ones who don't vaccinate are, according to our pediatrician, generally the parents that don't do well-baby visits, rarely bring their child in when they're sick, that sort of thing...including us and our pediatrician's own kids, he has 4 families that have actually discussed with him their reasoning for not vaccinating or doing it on a selective/delayed schedule, and all of them are for "good reason" according to him.

Advertisement

__________________
Brenna, all around AP'ing, trying to be crunchier, stay at home mama to Ash, Bryn, and our little Rebel Journey, wife to Nate
Come swag with me!! I've earned $75 in FREE Amazon gift cards just by searching
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #42
gigismomma's Avatar
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,673
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

What bothers me more than anything is when people don't vaccinate their kids because they are scared to, even though they don't even understand what the risks/benefits are to each vaccine. If a non-vaxxer has done their research and understands the risks/benefits, I can respect that. It just upsets me when I hear someone is scared to vaccinate at all because "my cousin's friend's nephew had some kind of scary reaction to a vaccine", and they have nothing else to back that up with. It is almost as if not vaccinating is the trend of the moment in some crowds, where people aren't vaccinating because they think vaccines are evil, but can't really support their argument. I just wish people would do their own research. That said, I think those who vaccinate should educate themselves, too.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #43
smashncakes's Avatar
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: southern Illinois
Posts: 5,220
My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismomma View Post
What bothers me more than anything is when people don't vaccinate their kids because they are scared to, even though they don't even understand what the risks/benefits are to each vaccine. If a non-vaxxer has done their research and understands the risks/benefits, I can respect that. It just upsets me when I hear someone is scared to vaccinate at all because "my cousin's friend's nephew had some kind of scary reaction to a vaccine", and they have nothing else to back that up with. It is almost as if not vaccinating is the trend of the moment in some crowds, where people aren't vaccinating because they think vaccines are evil, but can't really support their argument. I just wish people would do their own research. That said, I think those who vaccinate should educate themselves, too.
THIS exactly
__________________
Brenna, all around AP'ing, trying to be crunchier, stay at home mama to Ash, Bryn, and our little Rebel Journey, wife to Nate
Come swag with me!! I've earned $75 in FREE Amazon gift cards just by searching
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #44
MyPerfectLife's Avatar
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,114
My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I am quoting myself from the last post that talked about the number of incidence of disease in a vaxed v unvaxed population

When people say that more people get a disease that are vaxed than not vaxed, the statement is meaningless. It's like comparing the purchase of oranges and dragonfruit in central Ohio. Every store in central Ohio is going to have oranges for sale, but finding a dragonfruit is much more difficult. So, obviously more oranges are bought in central Ohio. But, given how many oranges there are and how few dragonfruit there are, it may well be that every dragonfruit in Ohio is purchased while a very small percentage of all oranges are purchased.

No vaccine is effective for 100% of the people. Most people are vaccinated, so there are actually more people walking around who have been vaccinated who are in that small percent of people who don't gain immunity than there are people who are unvaccinated. However, nearly 100% of the unvaccinated people are at risk for the disease, while a very small percent of vaccinated people are at risk. Basically, if you put 100 vaccinated people and one unvaccinated in a room with a whole lot of pertussis bacteria, the unvaccinated person has almost a 100% chance of contracting the disease, while only 15 or so of the vaccinated people will get it. Sure, if you say that 15 vaccinated people got the disease and only 1 unvaccinated got it, it sounds pretty bad. But, when you look at the meaninful data - 100% of the unvaccinated got the disease while only 15% of the vaccinated got it. From 100% down to 15% is a huge decrease in odds.
Thank you so much for articulating this in a way I never could.
Also, that one person in the room might leave the room and put even more vax'd and unvax'd people in contact with the disease.
__________________
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #45
MyLovely's Avatar
MyLovely
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In Transit
Posts: 3,354
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
OP, yes it definitely bothers me. vaccination is unfortunately not strictly a personal choice that exists in a vacuum. it will effect the children that live around and spend time near that unvaccinated child. it is a danger to others. i'm sure this thread will blow up with controversy, but just wanted to say that yes, it is bothersome to me. it's a matter of public health and people try to spin it like it's just another neutral choice for their own family.
I agree. Also, I don't fear that I or my family will get sick; we're fully vaccinated, our chances are slim. I worry about infants, small children, the elderly and those who are medically unable to get vaccinated.
__________________
MyLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #46
eahcapemay's Avatar
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,242
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

On a tangentially related note- I think that non-vaxers, who don't vax out of fear of vaccines, filling religious exemptions for public schools is a form of fraud. If your a Jehovah's Witness and you don't vax and want a religious clearance that's fine. If it's for another reason, and you file the religious exemptions you are lying. While I understand the issues with the government asking to see "proof" of your faith, I'm not sure why this is considered an acceptable practice.
__________________
My phone is smart, I am not. All spelling errors are my own.
eahcapemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #47
aumismommy's Avatar
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Between the Pacific and the Snow, Nor Cal
Posts: 1,793
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eahcapemay
On a tangentially related note- I think that non-vaxers, who don't vax out of fear of vaccines, filling religious exemptions for public schools is a form of fraud. If your a Jehovah's Witness and you don't vax and want a religious clearance that's fine. If it's for another reason, and you file the religious exemptions you are lying. While I understand the issues with the government asking to see "proof" of your faith, I'm not sure why this is considered an acceptable practice.
Slippery slope my friend.
__________________
Natasha - married to my soul's mate Ryan, mama to my heart's songs Aumi born at home in the water 7.14.10 & Livity also born at home in the water and in the caul! 11.28.12


ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #48
Connor's Avatar
Connor
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane

Hmmmm, I don't agree with this. Vaccinations are there to prevent disease and to keep these diseases at bay. Vaccinations are at the very least highly recommended. Those who vax are helping protect those who don't by continuing to keep the diseases at bay. In a way it is a blanket protection. I'm asking this question b/c I don't know but, in what way would a vaccinated child cause an unvaccinated child to get sick? I'm guessing from the vaccine shedding?
Yes, shedding. And the same way that a vaccinated child can still get pertussis, measles, etc and pass it to an unvaccinated child.
__________________
Single Mommy to my 3 year old DS born all natural. We are a Cosleeping, Breastfeeding, Babywearing Non-Vaxing DUO!!
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #49
nicolemariep's Avatar
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,273
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

I know that this could still get ugly, but it's really neat to see everyone playing nice. This is really interesting, and exactly what I was hoping for. I'm relieved that I'm not the only parent who vaccinates and is bothered when people don't. I expected to be in the extreme minority on a board like this, and so far, with this poll, it doesn't appear to be the case. This is really neat to read on all sides. Love it. Thanks guys
__________________
Nicole; spunky, sassy mama to my two little wild ones: Logan (9-08) and Liam (11-10) and Grayson (12-12)
I blog about the hilarity that comes along with raising my boys!
nicolemariep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #50
MyPerfectLife's Avatar
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,114
My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
I know that this could still get ugly, but it's really neat to see everyone playing nice. This is really interesting, and exactly what I was hoping for. I'm relieved that I'm not the only parent who vaccinates and is bothered when people don't. I expected to be in the extreme minority on a board like this, and so far, with this poll, it doesn't appear to be the case. This is really neat to read on all sides. Love it. Thanks guys
__________________
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.