View Poll Results: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people don't?
Yes, primarily because of herd immunity. 118 27.83%
Yes, but not primarily because of herd immunity. 24 5.66%
No, but I wish they would. 40 9.43%
No, vaccines are a personal choice. 134 31.60%
I do not vaccinate my children. 85 20.05%
I like polls and want to see the results without answering. 23 5.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #51
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

I'm in the middle I delay vaccines based on the ones I am most worried about but my kids will be caught up on all vaccines by school. It doesn't bother me if other people don't vaccinate but I do worry a little with really young babies and pertussis.

Quote:
Basically it's suppose to work if most of the population are vaccinated then those who cannot be vaccinated will have protection because the diseases/illnesses will not be in the population since most are vaccinated. While that seems like a nice idea, it's basically a myth. Some vaccines shed and are live viruses, so they continue to circulate because there are some people who cannot be vaccinated due to different reasons (allergies, complications, already being ill, etc). So vaccinated people can and do get unvaccinated people sick with live virus vaccines shedding and also because they can be a carrier for a illness/disease that they give to a non-vaccinated person. Vaccines aren't 100% so there are people who get vaccinated that can still get sick from the illness/disease.
There are not any documented cases of people getting a virus from a shedding vaccine. I hear that one from some sites but there are not documented cases of that happening.

Herd immunity does work. Better hygiene prevented deaths and slowed numbers but it did not eliminate the diseases. Vaccines do work but their are some people that do not get immunity from a disease. When the percentage of people who get vaccines is high then there are more of those people around then those who are unvaccinated. I don't think that the case any more in a lot of areas. If there are more unvaccinated people then the diseases can come back because there is no longer herd immunity. With things like pertussis immunity wears off so if someone does not get later vaccines then they can get pertussis.

Vaccinated people get the diseases but there are more of them. If a vaccinated person and an unvaccinated person where exposed to a disease the unvacinated person is more likely to get it. The flu is a little different. The charts used on the other sites are picked to make it seem like vaccines are not effective but they are looking at the wrong things like deaths. Vaccines do eliminate disease and they can come back if a lot of people chose not to vaccinate. When the Hib vaccine came out the pediatrician stopped seeing hospitalizations due to that.

Advertisement

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 05-17-2012 at 12:19 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #52
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I am quoting myself from the last post that talked about the number of incidence of disease in a vaxed v unvaxed population

When people say that more people get a disease that are vaxed than not vaxed, the statement is meaningless. It's like comparing the purchase of oranges and dragonfruit in central Ohio. Every store in central Ohio is going to have oranges for sale, but finding a dragonfruit is much more difficult. So, obviously more oranges are bought in central Ohio. But, given how many oranges there are and how few dragonfruit there are, it may well be that every dragonfruit in Ohio is purchased while a very small percentage of all oranges are purchased.

No vaccine is effective for 100% of the people. Most people are vaccinated, so there are actually more people walking around who have been vaccinated who are in that small percent of people who don't gain immunity than there are people who are unvaccinated. However, nearly 100% of the unvaccinated people are at risk for the disease, while a very small percent of vaccinated people are at risk. Basically, if you put 100 vaccinated people and one unvaccinated in a room with a whole lot of pertussis bacteria, the unvaccinated person has almost a 100% chance of contracting the disease, while only 15 or so of the vaccinated people will get it. Sure, if you say that 15 vaccinated people got the disease and only 1 unvaccinated got it, it sounds pretty bad. But, when you look at the meaninful data - 100% of the unvaccinated got the disease while only 15% of the vaccinated got it. From 100% down to 15% is a huge decrease in odds.
I should have just dittoed this.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #53
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had a grandfather who contracted polio and had to drop out of dentistry school My mother had measles and mumps. They would have appreciated a vaccine and made sure once it was invented subsequent generations had it. It never even occurred to me not to vax. It irritates me when people do not since the vaccines have successfully eliminated many diseases for years and now suddenly we are having outbreaks again.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #54
greykitty
Registered Users

I have a medically compromised child who couldn't get all of her vaccines on time. An unvaxed kid in her preschool got the measles from an older child who was unvaxed for religious regions. My child had to be quarantined for 2 or 3 weeks (can't remember exactly) and go to the hospital for IV infusions of immunoglobins. Although I think every parent has a right to do what they think is right for their own children, when it effects others like it did my child, I do have a problem with it. I like the idea of unvaxed kids not going to public schools (when it is a personal choice, not medical reason) for not vaccinating), or at least a disclosure so others who can't make the choice to vax can make informed decisions about their children's placement in classrooms.
greykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #55
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Actually I an one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and I am one of the only moms I know that doesn't vaccinate. Vaccines developed using aborted fetal cells fall under a gray area, but there is no doctrinal teaching against vaccination. the bible is clear about blood transfusions, but most other medical decisions are left up to the conscience of the individual christian.

Quoted the wrong person on my phone, but this was meant for the person who referenced JW's as having a religious exemption. My personal beliefs cause me to trade vaccinations for other ways to prevent disease that I feel work with the way our bodies are designed, but that is my conscience.

Last edited by songbird516; 05-17-2012 at 07:20 AM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #56
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first son is fully vaccinated, my daughter is missing some and my youngest is selectively vaccinated (not half of what the others have had). I could care less what other people do
Old 05-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #57
*BAD2theBUNZ*
Registered Users
Formerly: Crunchy Diapers
seller

My Mood:

:

Last edited by *BAD2theBUNZ*; 11-02-2012 at 06:10 PM.
*BAD2theBUNZ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #58
Djuna2
Registered Users

My Mood:
I am in an area that is having a whooping cough outbreak and I am nine months pregnant. I have had a booster, and all of my kids are fully vaccinated, but I worry about the new baby because I have four kids, two of whom are in elementary school, and there is just no way realistically to avoid exposing the new new baby before he has been fully vaccinated.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #59
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Herd immunity never has and IMO never will be reached. The percentage of necessary vaccinated population (everyone including adults and newborns) is too high. Look at the chart here. Especially take a look at the necessary % for pertussis.

If anyone can find a time/place outside a controlled population when complete herd immunity was achieved I would love to see a link. I have been looking for one and haven't found it.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #60
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Diapers View Post
*Immunity does NOT come through a needle (nor prescription pills). It comes from a healthy lifestyle, and what you choose to put into your body.
]
Totally agree with this. I put a LOT of effort into making sure that my kids are healthy without vaccinations.
There are so many sick kids these days- children who are on prescription medication from a very early age. I feel that much of this is due to an immune system that is not functioning properly, and I"m not sure that the large number of vaccinations that kids are given these days doesn't play a part. I'm sure it's not the only reason; nothing is every that simple, but I do think that it probably has something to do with it.