Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:
My Strong man arrives!

Wednesday afternoon May 2nd I went to get a pedicure (yay me!). While I was there I started to feel really crampy and since I had lost my mucous plug a few days before but had never gone into labor or really had any contractions with out pitocin I didn't think much of it and I was scheduled for an induction on May 4th. By late that afternoon the crampy-ness had turned into regular waves of uncomfortable-ness so I started timing them and went to clean out and wash my car and install baby's carseat at my CPST friend's house (usually I can totally do this on my own but with a huge belly and needing a slightly complicated 3 across I needed the extra hands).

By 730 that night the contractions had been between 3 and 7 (mostly 4ish) min apart so my dr. said to go in and get checked. So, my mom came over to be with DD's and me and my hunny went off to (hopefully) have a baby. I was at the hospital with contractions about 4 min apart and not super painful but def not ones I could sleep through. And didn't make more than 1/2 cm progress in about 4 hrs so they sent me home. I tried to get some rest and when the contrax eased off for a few hours around 5 am I got about 3 hrs.

Thurs. I went about my business like usual and around 230 the contractions really started up again. I had an appointment with my OB at 430 and when she checked me baby was head down (HOORAY!! He had been unstable lie for about 6 weeks) and I was at a 3 1/2 cm and about 60% effaced! She said to keep timing the contrax and that we would probably have a baby soon but definitely tomorrow since I was already scheduled to induce. On the way home my DD's were being naughty (probably nervous about mommy being in pain and impending new sisterhood) and my husband was super stressed out (he's not very good at labor) so I called my sister to come help make dinner and get the girls ready for bed cause I was very uncomfortable at this point with contrax about 3 min apart. Again, not excruciating but definitely had to breathe and concentrate through them. Around 8 I felt a tiny gush of fluid with a contraction (only enough to wet the panty liner I was wearing) and then another smaller gush with the next one and then no more after that. I figured my water may have broken so called dr and she said to go to hosp.

When I got there they decided my water hadn't broken but since I was almost a 4 they decided to keep me there. Woohoo we were having a baby with out being induced! So, I labored thru the night with the contractions pretty strong. I felt like I did pretty good through the contractions and was able to move around and breathe well and relax etc. Around 3 am I asked for some pain killers so I could sleep since I hadn't slept more than 3 hours in more than 24! I was able to sleep for about 4 hrs and then continued to labor the rest of the day making VERY slow progress even with lots of walking and moving around.

At 7 am my dr. came in and broke my water and by 1030 I was running a 101+ fever. At noon I asked for the epidural.

By 330 when I had been stuck at 8 cm for 3 hrs and with my fever not going down even with tylenol we decided to give a little pit to speed things along. At 430 after 21 hrs of active labor and only 4 pushes my boy was born! Declan Alexander ("man of prayer" and "defender of men"). 7 lbs 15 oz and 20 inches long. I didn't cry when DD's were born but for some reason I was so overwhelmed by emotion that I just cried! And he was SO HOT!

It turned out that my dr. decided that my water probably HAD broken when I thought it had just a tiny tear that resealed and thus the infection. He ended up having some of the infection too and needed antiboitics for 48 hrs. But I still got bonding time for the first hour and got to nurse him. We've had a few other pp complications too high blood pressure, retained tissue and practically no milk supply have made these first few weeks interesting. But slowly they're working themselves out!

P.S. Thanks for reading my novel! And I'll post pics when I'm done feeding the babe!

ETA- Pics!!
In the hospital-

He is now 2.5 weeks old and weighed in at his weigh in today at 8 lbs 5.5 ounces.
The last couple days-
With his big sis, (2.5 years old)-

Some cloth pics-
In a pre-fitted with a mama made cover and his big sis (almost 6 years old)-

In a mama made fitted with a Thirsties cover-

And him right now.. nursing..

Advertisement

~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!

Last edited by mercyscreation; 05-23-2012 at 06:12 PM.
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My Strong man arrives!

Awesome job mama! It's good to read about you going into labor on your own after 2 others... (were you induced for them?) I've been induced for my first 2 and hope to go on my own if there's a 3rd.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:

yep! induced @ 41+ wks w/dd1 and 42+ wks w/dd2
~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Blondie87
Registered Users
Formerly: FosterMom87
seller
seller

My Mood:

So cute!! I love him!! He is such a sweet baby, I love coming over and holding him..

And I am so glad on your last baby you didn't have to induce!

I just wish he would let me take more fluffy pics of him.. but he isn't a fan..
TTC #1 since 9/07 M/C @ 10 weeks in May 08
Blondie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Anna0623
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great birth story and you DS is so cute!
Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks! I'm totally loving getting to know him! With each of my kids I'm always surprised that there really is a special spot in my heart for each of them. I don't just have one "kid spot" I have 3 different kid spots! We are SO blessed!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
blesdfish
Registered Users

My Mood:

He's adorable! Congratulations!