Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
another s/o...would you allow your child to go to the home of..

a practicing Christian?

We pray before meals, do devotionals before bed and pray before bed. We're not hyper about it and don't do fire and brimstone...our devotional is one geared at children and how different parts of the Word can apply to their lives...for the most part we listen to Christian music in the car...I don't know that we'd skip our family devotional time just because the kids had friends over...said friend would be welcome to opt out but my kids would need to participate...

Honestly it would never occur to me to ask a parent "Can Susan come and stay for a while? She can eat lunch/dinner here. Oh, btw, we say grace before we eat, is this an issue?" (our Grace is a really simple blessing, nothing excessive)

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
boy_and_baby_make_4
Registered
seller

I'm gay. I'm Christian. We own veggie tales, go to church and pray. Yes, he would be allowed over..
Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
brookglen
Registered Users

Re: another s/o...would you allow your child to go to the home of..

I wouldn't care. I would like my daughter to have a really expanded view of different cultures and lifestyles. Even one which I do not participate in (husband is Jewish and I'm atheist).

Last edited by brookglen; 05-16-2012 at 09:52 PM.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
boy_and_baby_make_4
Registered
seller

And I'm not saying that by owning veggie tales that makes me Christian....I'm just give planning we have God on our home and don't mind the toys, books, movies, etc.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

Of course as long as you didn't require my child to pray with you, if they wanted to participate that is fine though.
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Doesn't matter. If my kid wants to participate even, that's fine by me. It's possible that it will raise questions at home, but I'm ok with that too. The more they learn about every sort of belief system out there, the more confident I am that they will make the correct choice for themselves when they get older.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae
a practicing Christian?

We pray before meals, do devotionals before bed and pray before bed. We're not hyper about it and don't do fire and brimstone...our devotional is one geared at children and how different parts of the Word can apply to their lives...for the most part we listen to Christian music in the car...I don't know that we'd skip our family devotional time just because the kids had friends over...said friend would be welcome to opt out but my kids would need to participate...

Honestly it would never occur to me to ask a parent "Can Susan come and stay for a while? She can eat lunch/dinner here. Oh, btw, we say grace before we eat, is this an issue?" (our Grace is a really simple blessing, nothing excessive)

Yes but I am Christian.

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wouldnt bother me. he just wouldnt pray with them
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do let parents know that we say grace and bedtime prayers. I let them know that of course we don't expect their child to participate, but just want to let them know in case they want to discuss it with them, or want them to skip meals/overnights with us altogether.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
addicteddad
Registered Users

I'm sure(hope) my son will have friends in Christian families as he gets older. I'll have no problem with him going over their houses, provided he's not proselytized to in any way. I do hope that it will open doors for me to explain and answer questions he may have regarding religion rather than having other adults or children try to indoctrinate him.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote