Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #21
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: another s/o...would you allow your child to go to the home of..

Sure. No biggie. I'm very agnostic but DH's family say grace. I don't know if my kids have ever noticed actually?

Advertisement

isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #22
kcannon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sure! As long as DD's not required to participate.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #23
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That would not bother me at all. I worry that people people would think of us different if they knew that I was an atheist.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #24
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

I would be fine with it as long as the family legitimately respected our non Christian beliefs. A lot of Christians I know aren't tolerate of other beliefs and then tend to make backhanded remarks about religion, etc. I don't want my kids around that. I defenitely agree with the idea of your own personal relationship with God, and have no issues with anyone's faith or with my children being exposed to anyone's.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #25
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm challenged by this question. Religious people make me nervous. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to remember that church folks are required by teachings to "spread the word" and such. If it was literally just grace, then fine. I don't know what devotionals are. I'd be concerned that eventually the cost of friendship with the family or child would easily lead to some kind of recruitment. I guess I'd be waiting for it to happen at some point. I doubt I could form a deep friendship with a family that displayed overt religious rituals because I have a fundamental problem with believing in the supernatural and it would put me off. But thanking the earth for the food we eat is pretty standard and not a problem. I'd be pretty surprised if it just stopped there though.

Last edited by danielle; 05-17-2012 at 06:41 AM.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:33 AM   #26
Laurshar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
Depends.

We wouldnt allow our younger children to play or stay at anyones home if they had very extreme religious practices. With my older girls it would be a case by case basis.
I agree with this. While my children are young, we are teaching them our religious and spiritual practices and I don't want them to be confused or overwhelmed.
It's really the prayer before meals/bed that is off-putting to me. As a child I always felt extremely uncomfortable in homes when they would pray before meals or bed, and still do. I wouldn't want to put that onto my kids. The ways of our people do not include group prayer so it might be the reason it has always caused me discomfort. So it's not so much an issue what your religion is, but practicing it in the presence of my young children, that would be an issue for me. I wouldn't perform religious acts in front of your children out of cultural differences and respect for the way you want your kids raised, and would expect the same from you.

stitching, witching, brewing, dyeing, spinning
Lauren, mama to C & D, owner of Triquetra. Currently TTC baby #3! My ISO/IHA
Laurshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #27
pcjs
Registered Users

Yes, but I would hope the parents would respect our religious and cultural practices and not have my child participate (no issue with their kids doing it) or I would not allow/support my child to return as it is something that can get very uncomfortable. I want my child exposed to other religions but there is a delicate balance.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #28
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't care, but I am catholic. I have friends of all faiths, atheists, buddhists, pagans, christians. I try to love people and part of that is not trying to recruit them, but showing my faith through my actions. I do have friends, however that do not wish to be my friends anymore since I became catholic. I guess that is their loss. I find that in general, it is more of a problem for people who are not religious, which puzzles me since I am always hearing how religious people are closed minded...

Oh, I also feel that my children will have the choice on whether they want to be confirmed as a Catholic. However, it doesn't seem that a lot of parents of different faiths allow that choice. It is interesting to me that people talk of not wanting a different faith pushed on their child, which actually is forcing a child not to have any spiritual beliefs.

Last edited by Vivhop98; 05-17-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #29
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Sure as long as it's saying grace and not preaching
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #30
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Sure as long as it's saying grace and not preaching
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote