Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
kai_e's Avatar
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SE Connecticut
Posts: 1,261
My Mood:
Re: Potty training- help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
Expect the trainers or undies to get wet. But make a big thing about stopping whatever is happening, changing clothes, and let him know calmly to tell you next time, so he doesn't get wet. Let him see the cause and effect. Honestly, they tend to get it after a couple days of seeing that they have to deal with clothes, and clothes don't hold pee. If you are super worried about work get some waterproof trainers to protect his clothes, but he still feels the wet. This was the hardest part for us pt ds, but they do get it.
Love this advice. We had way more success after getting the Toy Story pull ups with the rocket ship on the front that goes away when they pee. He thought they were so cool and we explained that if he wet himself, the rocket ship would go away. We left him in just those (no shirt or pants) over the weekend with frequent reminders to go on the potty.

He still has accidents sometimes, but those are tied to either being too wrapped up in whatever he is doing and then he waits too long or his reluctance to ask for the potty if he is nervous and not around us. He has a speech issue and the "p" sound is tough for him so if he not with us and somewhere unfamiliar and can't just go by himself, he will get super shy and nervous not wanting to mess up the sound and not ask.

Advertisement

kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 5,288
My Mood:
Re: Potty training- help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai_e View Post
Love this advice. We had way more success after getting the Toy Story pull ups with the rocket ship on the front that goes away when they pee. He thought they were so cool and we explained that if he wet himself, the rocket ship would go away. We left him in just those (no shirt or pants) over the weekend with frequent reminders to go on the potty.

He still has accidents sometimes, but those are tied to either being too wrapped up in whatever he is doing and then he waits too long or his reluctance to ask for the potty if he is nervous and not around us. He has a speech issue and the "p" sound is tough for him so if he not with us and somewhere unfamiliar and can't just go by himself, he will get super shy and nervous not wanting to mess up the sound and not ask.
Pull-ups would never have worked for my son, but the disappearing thing might have. He hates feeling wet, he hates especially his clothes being wet. So just letting him make the mistakes and him dealing with the wet clothes, really pushed him ahead fast. That and he learned if I just took him potty before we started to play it was easier then stopping everything.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
kai_e's Avatar
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SE Connecticut
Posts: 1,261
My Mood:
Re: Potty training- help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
Pull-ups would never have worked for my son, but the disappearing thing might have. He hates feeling wet, he hates especially his clothes being wet. So just letting him make the mistakes and him dealing with the wet clothes, really pushed him ahead fast. That and he learned if I just took him potty before we started to play it was easier then stopping everything.
I wish Finnegan cared about being wet. He really doesn't give a hoot. That and his speech issue made it soooo much harder.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
kushie tushie's Avatar
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,785
My Mood:
Dp

Last edited by kushie tushie; 05-17-2012 at 01:36 PM.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
kushie tushie's Avatar
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,785
My Mood:
AHHH! DS had peed in every trainer hes had on today! Hes been diaper free since Monday with NO accidents and today he just keeps peeing inthe trainer. He likes having the trainers on. He keeps talking about his "underwear" but doesnt seem to notice when he has to pee with them on. I toke them away....hes naked and peeing in the potty again. I'm frustrated....at this rate it looks like i'm going to have to put a diaper on him while i"m at work.ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai_e

I wish Finnegan cared about being wet. He really doesn't give a hoot. That and his speech issue made it soooo much harder.
This is Wesley too. He could careless if hes wet.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
EmilytheStrange's Avatar
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mountain Home, ID
Posts: 7,418
My Mood:
Re: Potty training- help please

I think this is part of the problem with using the 'naked time' as potty training.

Because then you're introducing 2 concepts at once. 'Using the potty' and then 'using the potty when dressed'.

I think it's best to dress them in undies so it's only one thing they have to master 'using the potty when dressed'. I don't think it's just an easy conversion from naked to dressed. To them, they think, I am naked, so I use the potty.. oh, now I'm dressed, so this must be like wearing a diaper.

anyways, that's just my opinion. You can use the method, but it probably won't be seamless, you will have to teach potty training while clothed.
__________________
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie
AHHH! DS had peed in every trainer hes had on today! Hes been diaper free since Monday with NO accidents and today he just keeps peeing inthe trainer. He likes having the trainers on. He keeps talking about his "underwear" but doesnt seem to notice when he has to pee with them on. I toke them away....hes naked and peeing in the potty again. I'm frustrated....at this rate it looks like i'm going to have to put a diaper on him while i"m at work.ugh!

This is Wesley too. He could careless if hes wet.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
DD1 did the same thing. After about 2 weeks of saying 'Uh oh! You had an accident!', changing her every time, and having her sit on the potty after each accident, she started using the potty, but we had to take her on a schedule. After about a month at that, she started asking when she had to go. Patience! It comes in time!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
kushie tushie's Avatar
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,785
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra

DD1 did the same thing. After about 2 weeks of saying 'Uh oh! You had an accident!', changing her every time, and having her sit on the potty after each accident, she started using the potty, but we had to take her on a schedule. After about a month at that, she started asking when she had to go. Patience! It comes in time!
This is pretty much what we've done all day. I know it's just going to take time but I really just want it to click... if only!
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.