Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Am I just super anal about some things?

Maybe its just me being an over cautious parent, but like we were told to do by DS's doctor, we waited until after he turned 1 to introduce things like peanut butter and strawberries...etc. And of course, waited until he was too big to turn his car seaqt front facing.

A friend of mine, who I am newly friends with has a DD who will be 9 months old soon. She just grew out of her infant carrier and they bought her a new car seat, and its FORWARD facing

Today at lunch, she off handedly mentioned how her daughter eats peanut butter and strawberries.

I know I am right that she should certainly still be read facing, but am I being weird about the age limit on the food? I have always heard people say to wait, but maybe Im just paranoid? lol!

It kills me that her DD who is a little bitty thing is facing forward in the car. She isnt even crawling yet. UGH!

Now, I would NEVER say anything...ever. its not my place, but I am silently judging her for the car seat, and seeing as her DD doesnt appear to have allergies to the food, I guess its not that big of a deal, but oh the car seat

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You should say something about the car seat. I thought it was illegal?
As for the food if her daughter has no allergies it's probably ok with the strawberries and pb. Things like cows milk and honey are more developmentally related, as opposed to allergenic only.

Last edited by gabmaxi; 05-17-2012 at 11:39 AM.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: Am I just super anal about some things?

well, since it's illegal to forward face a child under 1, i agree with you on that, and i don't think you would be out of place saying something in that situation. she could get in big trouble if she gets pulled over, not to mention how unsafe that is for her baby! and i kept ds rear facing for much longer than a year, and will do the same with this baby.

as for the food, nah, i never really worried about that. maybe i'm the crazy one here, but we don't have a history of allergies in our families, and i mean, i was fairly cautious about watching for signs of issues with new foods. but i didn't really hold off on all the stuff you're "supposed" to and i wasn't super strict about it. i mostly just wanted him not to have junk food until he was much older, and i did hold off on honey until over a year since that can't be a serious safety concern. but peanut butter and strawberries? yea he totally ate those way before a year....

Last edited by Liadan23; 05-17-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i thought so too!! I dont want to offend her.. like I said, I havent known her all that long, and maybe they just really DONT know...but im worried that god forbid they get into an accident, she will get really hurt
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would have to say something about the car seat. You would feel pretty horrible if she was in an accident with that little babe forward facing. She can do what she pleases with the information, but I would tell her and probably forward a few videos with pertinent stats about rear facing/forward facing.

As for the food, I think everyone chooses their own battles there. I would let that one go.

Parenting along side differently-minded friends is hard. If the friends are important to you, you will find a way to choose your battles and keep the friendship intact.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post
well, since it's illegal to forward face a child under 1, i agree with you on that. and i kept ds rear facing for much longer than a year, and will do the same with this baby.

as for the food, nah, i never really worried about that. we don't have a history of allergies in our families, and i mean, i was fairly cautious about watching for signs of issues with new foods. but i didn't really hold off on all the stuff you're "supposed" to and i wasn't super strict about it. i mostly just wanted him not to have junk food until he was much older, and i did hold off on honey until over a year since that can't be a serious safety concern. but peanut butter and strawberries? yea he totally ate those way before a year....
Yeah DS is 18 months old and we just turned his seat around the other day, and he is super tall for his age and I wanted so badly to hold off, but he was really scruntched up and I feared if we got into an accident he would be hurt worse since he was to big to rear face.

How is a tactful way to bring it up?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

You should speak up about the carseat.

"Mary perhaps you weren't aware but it's illegal to FF a 9 month old. Here is some information about extended rearfacing, the recent recommendations is to rear face until age 2."
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah my super tall 2.5 year old is still rear-facing, long legs, and all. But seriously o matter the parenting style you can't just break the law, cause you want to. I agree with the above politely point out how you would hate for them to get a big, expensive ticket, and maybe the new information about rear facing till two. But the food, it's a parenting choice. I heard it was best to give allergens early, so DS had both those foods closer to 6-8 months. But that was our choice and my search. And no laws against it
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd say something about the car seat.

Waiting on those foods is not universal advice, our pediatrician advised introducing peanuts around 9 months, and all common allergens by a year (based on no history of food allergies in the family).

Honey is a botulism risk, so we wait for it.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

The peanut butter/stawberries is just an allergy thing. If there are no allergies in your family it probably doesn't matter. I've never worried about it as there are no allergies in any part of our families.

For the car seat, I would mention it. She really probably doesn't know. Maybe something along the lines of "I was reading this thing the other day saying we aren't allow to let the little ones face forward until after a year. I noticed you have your LO facing forward. Did you read something different? "
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote