Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I just super anal about some things?

I went to visit with a new friend when her baby was about 3 months old. I almost had a stroke when I saw him in the car seat. The straps were loose and twisted, they were on the highest setting. He probably would have fallen out if I had tipped the seat upside down. It was a mess and I was not putting him in my car like that. I was very nice and flat out said "Please don't be offended by this, but I gotta fix the car seat." I admitted to being a "car seat nazi" and showed her how to properly buckle, adjust and install her car seat. She didn't know any of it. She was also not using the base and just strapping him in with a seat belt everywhere they went. I'm just glad he survived the first 3 months and the mom was very receptive to my instructions.

Advertisement

SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23
well, since it's illegal to forward face a child under 1, i agree with you on that, and i don't think you would be out of place saying something in that situation. she could get in big trouble if she gets pulled over, not to mention how unsafe that is for her baby! and i kept ds rear facing for much longer than a year, and will do the same with this baby.

as for the food, nah, i never really worried about that. maybe i'm the crazy one here, but we don't have a history of allergies in our families, and i mean, i was fairly cautious about watching for signs of issues with new foods. but i didn't really hold off on all the stuff you're "supposed" to and i wasn't super strict about it. i mostly just wanted him not to have junk food until he was much older, and i did hold off on honey until over a year since that can't be a serious safety concern. but peanut butter and strawberries? yea he totally ate those way before a year....
Completely agree with all of this. I have my ped's blessing, he said only raw honey and cow milk were important to hold off (for us with no family history). The car seat, obviously, is a bigger deal and you should let her know it's illegal, without being mean about it.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrlgrl105 View Post
Yeah DS is 18 months old and we just turned his seat around the other day, and he is super tall for his age and I wanted so badly to hold off, but he was really scruntched up and I feared if we got into an accident he would be hurt worse since he was to big to rear face.

How is a tactful way to bring it up?
actually 4 and 5 yr olds rear face just fine. Broken legs are rare, but the saying is, "broken neck, casket. broken leg, cast it". It doesn't matter how tall they are as long as they haven't outgrown the seat's recs (and there are some for taller kids!), it matters how OLD they are and their bones (like their spine isn't mature until older, etc).

OP, the PB and strawberries thing is old school from things I have read and heard from my ped. My DS was eating all nuts and strawberries, etc when he started food at 8 months. The only thing we held off on was honey.

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 05-17-2012 at 12:56 PM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PPs...the new recommendations are only hold out on introducing foods if there is a family history, otherwise you can introduce things whenever you want (except honey and cows milk except in yogurt, cheese, etc.).
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

The food thing depends if we have allergies for those things. And sometimes he steals food from his brother. If he did well with it then I wont hold back on those items. But I wouldn't hesitate telling her something about the carseat. And if she didn't do anyhting about it. I might be tempted to tell the police. They can either ignore it, or they can see if they can catch her in the act. No matter what they do, I'd know I did my part in trying to keep that baby safe.
MiaAnjuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

For food different studies say different things. Some studies have indicated that early exposure is mroe likely to create allergies, others have shown the opposite.

The car seat thing is an issue.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well... I saw her breifly today and tried to casually bring up a general topic of car seats... askingher is her DD seemed to like her new car seat, and casually mentioned how my DS is 18 months and was RF for safety, and I swear i dont think she even caught any of the hints i was dropping. I even talked about the headrest mirror we had and how when he was younger he figured out he could see us in it... etc

had someone said stuff like that in conversation to me and I had my child FF, i would have been like "humm... maybe i have it backwards or something...."... but no, i dont think she was picking up what i was putting down. Im going to have to find a way to polietly bring it up again and just tell her.

For all of you who has larger children still RF, were their legs unconfortable? did they sit with them "indian" style? I am still kind of paranoid about him FF.. but DP thought it was time and DS seems more comfortable, but I wanted to keep him RF for safety. Does anyone have any pics of their older kids still RF? DS is about 3 feet tall and 31 lbs. Our carseat label says they can turn at 20 lbs, which i said no way to, and we just turned it last week. Does that mean its unsafe for that particular car seat to RF after 20 lbs?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

the car seat is a bad deal.

My DD had peanut butter and strawberries way before she was 1.

The only thing you need to avoid giving to a normal child in a typical allergy-free home is honey before the age of 1.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dd2 rf until 2(she is a giant btw). Both girls(7, almost 5) still sit with thier feet in the seat. Dangling legs/feet fall asleep and it hurts. If she acted like she wasnt picking up the hints and didnt take 5mins to read the carseat manual-which would tell her to ff only! at 1yr and! 20lbs!-then she either needs to be slapped in the face(figuritivly) with info or she just doesnt care. And honestly if she didnt turn the infant! back around after I gave her info then I'd cut ties. I personally couldnt be friends with someone who cant be bothered with the safety of an innocent child.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrlgrl105 View Post
Well... I saw her breifly today and tried to casually bring up a general topic of car seats... askingher is her DD seemed to like her new car seat, and casually mentioned how my DS is 18 months and was RF for safety, and I swear i dont think she even caught any of the hints i was dropping. I even talked about the headrest mirror we had and how when he was younger he figured out he could see us in it... etc

had someone said stuff like that in conversation to me and I had my child FF, i would have been like "humm... maybe i have it backwards or something...."... but no, i dont think she was picking up what i was putting down. Im going to have to find a way to polietly bring it up again and just tell her.

For all of you who has larger children still RF, were their legs unconfortable? did they sit with them "indian" style? I am still kind of paranoid about him FF.. but DP thought it was time and DS seems more comfortable, but I wanted to keep him RF for safety. Does anyone have any pics of their older kids still RF? DS is about 3 feet tall and 31 lbs. Our carseat label says they can turn at 20 lbs, which i said no way to, and we just turned it last week. Does that mean its unsafe for that particular car seat to RF after 20 lbs?
It depends on the car seat you have, but most rearface to at least 35lbs and many are 40lbs now. My DD rearfaced until she hit 39lbs at around 2yrs4m. She was also 38" tall. Around 16-18mths, she wasn't able to figure out what to do with her legs, so we had to show her. We folded them, or would swing them over the sides of her seat. Kids look uncomfortable, but they aren't really. We all see the awkward ways they sleep and play. We THINK they are uncomfortable, but really, they're not.