Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
azsuma1
Registered Users

My Mood:
weekend away, 14mo, bottles?

DS is 14mo old, he eats solids VERY well and is BF 4-5 times daily. I am leaving for the weekend, and have plenty of expressed milk frozen. When I have been gone at nursing time, he has always taken a bottle of breastmilk really well. So, i thought this wouldnt be an issue. but....
It just occurred to me, when do babies stop using bottles? he drinks (with help) from a regular cup at meals. I dont think he would do well with an open cup in place of bottle though, because he usually nurses to sleep. We have a sippy, but never use it. I guess he could have his milk in that instead...
Is there a time or stage when it is no longer good to use a bottle? Should I wait until he can use a regular cup or start using the sippy?

TIA for any advice, thoughts, personal experiences...
ETA: im not considering weaning from the breast, im only talking about for those times when i am not here.

Advertisement

Last edited by azsuma1; 05-17-2012 at 12:34 PM.
azsuma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: weekend away, 14mo, bottles?

The answers you get are going to be all over the board. We ripped the bottle out of our older DD's hands at 12 months on the nose. Our youger DD (almost 2) still drinks from one in the morning and at bedtime and I have no intention of taking it away anytime soon.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bottles are probably better for their teeth than a hard spouted sippy BUT they are probably less inclined to keep a sippy spout in their mouth for long periods of time (my nephew would finish his milk and then run around with the bottle hanging from his latch for an hour).

Its a personal preference. Obviously he needs to wean to a regular cup by adulthood lol - i say try what feels right and see how he does. If he isnt ready, he isnt. Im a big advocate of child led growing unless it requires discipline or affects safety. Go with what your mama instincts tell you .

For what its worth, my dentist asked that we be good and weaned from bottles and pacis by age 3 at the latest.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsuma1 View Post
DS is 14mo old, he eats solids VERY well and is BF 4-5 times daily. I am leaving for the weekend, and have plenty of expressed milk frozen. When I have been gone at nursing time, he has always taken a bottle of breastmilk really well. So, i thought this wouldnt be an issue. but....
It just occurred to me, when do babies stop using bottles? he drinks (with help) from a regular cup at meals. I dont think he would do well with an open cup in place of bottle though, because he usually nurses to sleep. We have a sippy, but never use it. I guess he could have his milk in that instead...
Is there a time or stage when it is no longer good to use a bottle? Should I wait until he can use a regular cup or start using the sippy?

TIA for any advice, thoughts, personal experiences...
ETA: im not considering weaning from the breast, im only talking about for those times when i am not here.
My kids all got rid of their bottles at 11-12 months. They were all 100% bottlefed though. then they took sippies until 2 and then they moved to open cups.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

14 month old DD2 still takes 4-5 bottles a day. She is a peanut and anemic, and the feeding clinic DFS goes to told us to let her keep them.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
My 16 month old uses sippy cups, but can also drink from a open cup. He stopped using bottles around 14 months though. It wasn't hard. He still has a sippy available to him in the middle of the night if he needs it.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ds is 18 months. He drinks water from a sippy cup during the day but give him bottles of formula during the night. We do bottles partly because he used to nurse back to sleep (weaned at 14 months) and it seemed like the easier transition and also because we don't have to worry about it leaking on the bed.
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
OneDayAtATime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would probably the sippy cup first and see how he does with it. Both my kiddos were completely off the bottle before they turned one.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would let him keep the bottles for the weekend youre away.

As far as "When"... Personal preference really. Hes old enough for a sippy. It would be easier to start transitioning him now vs. later just because older toddlers can get set in their ways

We practice with open cup drinking starting around 9months. Full mastery (being able to hold the cup and not dump it all over their face) is generally around 18months (this is for *my* kids), but I dont set them free with open cups until around 2. We do let them have watter bottles and straw cups before then, but I wait to get rid of sippies until 2 (except for bedtime drinks, which is a sippy or water bottle until around the age of 4.)

ETA: I didnt really say when I start sippy cups! I introduced those around 6months (just on the high chair whenever they were practicing with first foods!) Both my kiddos were 8-9months when they became proficient with holding and drinking from the sippy cup on a regular basis.

Last edited by mommyinthesun; 05-17-2012 at 11:05 PM.
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We started using sippy few weeks ago about year old and it took a while but great now. I have a friend that had a 2 year old still using bottle most of the day. I would switch to sippy. bottle maybe at night to get to bed.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote