Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

CLC mamas

I'm interested in becoming a CLC and a doula. I have a few questions for any mamas who are CLCs. Do you need any other qualifications to get a job? Are you financially stable? By stable I mean you can pay the bills and support yourself and your child if something happens to your partner, or you're already supporting your child on your own. If I decide I want to become an IBCLC after working as a CLC, what are the steps I need to take? Will I need education from a college or is it just lactation education courses and working under an IBCLC? If you practice on your own, do you struggle to find clients? How do you advertise?

Sorry for all the questions and TIA

Advertisement

JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Re: CLC mamas

I'm interested too...though I want to be an IBCLC and SLP or OT :-)
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

I work at broward general as an rn in postpartum and our lactation department only hires rns who have there ibclc. A couple months ago they offered the clc classes and some of my coworkers did it. They don't work at clc though. For ibclc I don't think you need college just a lot of hours working with lactating women/ lactation courses. All of the LC'sI know we're nurses in postpartum/labor room before perusing their ibclc.

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.
Chibirsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
fallfromfender
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
I'm interested in becoming a CLC and a doula. I have a few questions for any mamas who are CLCs. Do you need any other qualifications to get a job? Are you financially stable? By stable I mean you can pay the bills and support yourself and your child if something happens to your partner, or you're already supporting your child on your own. If I decide I want to become an IBCLC after working as a CLC, what are the steps I need to take? Will I need education from a college or is it just lactation education courses and working under an IBCLC? If you practice on your own, do you struggle to find clients? How do you advertise?

Sorry for all the questions and TIA
Hi mama! I recently went through becoming a CLC in 2010, and also passed the IBCLC exam in 2011. For background info: I started working for my local health department's WIC Program as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor in 2008, so I had roughly two years of working in clinic before getting my CLC. All my clinical hours from 2008-2011 counted toward the 1000 needed to be eligible for the IBCLC exam. I've continued to work for WIC, and can pay my bills. I'm only working part time currently, as I have a 5mo daughter, and my husband works FT. If I worked full time instead of hubby, I could support my family, but it would be on very, very tight budgeting with no insurance. I have the flexibility to work from home at times, which is nice. I don't have to worry about marketing or advertising because the client base is already available.
Even with a CLC, IMO it would be very hard to have your own business. Heck, even being an IBCLC, it is hard to find a decent job. I don't mean to discourage you, but it seems like there are not many slots to be filled, if you know what I mean. I love what I do, I find it very rewarding and fulfilling. I just wish there were more opportunities.
I have found that our local hospitals will only hire IBCLC's if they are also RN's (which I am not). I have toyed with the idea of starting my own practice, but that would be a lot of work. It's something that I will probably take a leap of faith on when my children are older, but for right now I need something more stable and already established. Some IBCLC's are able to get positions working for pediatricians, but that is not common around here.

Becoming a CLC is fairly simple. I went through The Healthy Children Project, which included a 45-hr course (mine was M-F, 8hr days, the last half day was allotted for testing/exams). You do not need any qualifications to become a CLC, anyone can take the course.
More info here: http://www.healthychildren.cc/

As for becoming an IBCLC, that is MUCH more extensive. It took me a few years to even accumulate enough hours/education to be an eligible candidate. I did not need to take extra college courses, just needed to prove my clinical hours/experience and education certificates. However, the requirements have changed in the last year, and you WILL need to take college courses (14 to be exact) in addition to working many clinical hours (min of 500-1000) and also 90 hours in Education in Human Lactation & Breastfeeding. (If you get your CLC first, that will count for 45 out of the 90 hours needed.) There are three different "pathways" to becoming an IBCLC. Depending on which pathway you choose, you will need to meet different requirements.
More info here:
http://www.americas.iblce.org/steps-...oming-an-ibclc
http://www.americas.iblce.org/pathway-wizards
http://www.iblce.org/upload/download...Guidelines.pdf

I hope that helps some. I'm happy to answer any other questions.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

You can start the process of becoming an IBCLC by becoming a LLL Leader, then after 2 years of Leadership and 90 CERP hours you can sit for the exam
Old 05-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

ive decided to become a CLC as a stepping stone to becoming an IBCLC. the CLC course is half of the 90 CERP hours.

Connor, how do you become a LLL leader?
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

As an CLC, here, in SD.. You would work in the hospital setting only tri aging breastfeeding moms, helping the very simple cases and ranking which moms need the assistance of the LC/RN first. (it's actually a lot of work because 90% of moms state they 'want to try' but really.. A lot don't.. And waste everyone's time. CLC and LC/RN's have a limited amount if hours in that day and can not sit with the unmotivated for hours to motivate, kwim? You would also run breastfeeding classes and possibly support groups. It's pretty flexible, not usually full time, as the hours are wonky. And you make $20/hr.

But here, to be an IBCLC In the hospital setting, you most likely need to be an RN. It's rare not to be.

I'm a CLC but did not realize that in my area I MUST be bilingual to do the positions I would qualified for. The LC/RN's did not need to be, though. They didn't touch as many patients as the CLC would (through courses and the fact that the CLC talks to ALL the moms who state they want to nurse.)
Old 05-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
fallfromfender
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor
You can start the process of becoming an IBCLC by becoming a LLL Leader, then after 2 years of Leadership and 90 CERP hours you can sit for the exam
This was true in the past, but starting this year (2012) there are many more general education requirements. It's not so easy anymore, they have made it much more extensive to qualify.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
fallfromfender
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
As an CLC, here, in SD.. You would work in the hospital setting only tri aging breastfeeding moms, helping the very simple cases and ranking which moms need the assistance of the LC/RN first. (it's actually a lot of work because 90% of moms state they 'want to try' but really.. A lot don't.. And waste everyone's time. CLC and LC/RN's have a limited amount if hours in that day and can not sit with the unmotivated for hours to motivate, kwim? You would also run breastfeeding classes and possibly support groups. It's pretty flexible, not usually full time, as the hours are wonky. And you make $20/hr.
Wow! CLC's must be a lot more valued in SD! I make no where near $20/hr here in FL, even as an IBCLC.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's probably a little more now as that was 3 years ago when I did my clinicals