Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sorry about the pain, Janine. Did you get some meds?

Did you still make it to work on time, Ru? I hope E has a good day hanging out with J.

I heard Jen and MH leave this morning, then promptly rolled over and fell back to sleep. Now I need to get in the shower so that I am ready for the flea market and the drive later.

Advertisement

lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basically it's the weekend!

Morning mamas. Luckily, I am well enough to drink it.

The door guy came to give his estimate today. We have putting that off to the very last, so all the work and moving would not ruin a brand new door. Well, it turns out the door will have to be custom ordered, because it's an inch shorter than stock doors. I mean, you can force fit a stock door, but it will look wonky and may not function as well over the years because you trim out structure to make it fit, like the crappy one that's in there now. We thought it didn't function well because it had been kicked in and the frame was compromised. Apparently that is one of many reasons it doesn't work well. Anyway, a custom door is considerably more expensive than a stock door. Sigh. I don't know if I can face that today. Especially after Ginger came out naked while door man was here, because she can't reach many of the clothes in her closet ATM.

DH is over at the rental doing a load. I am going to take a shower, and when he's done unloading we are headed over to Bed Bath and Beyond to look at kitchen trash cans and curtains for the master bedroom. Then I have to figure out how to put away everything he's brought over before he makes the next trip. We are at a huge disadvantage because I was supposed to sort and purge stuff while I was sick, to expedite this process. I am trying to tell DH not to bring over anything that has not been gone through, but we are butting heads about it ATM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgirlsmama View Post
I am starting them on a cereal necklace project for a soccer/bb snack.
That is brilliant. I will have to do that in the future.

Janine, I hope you are feeling better. And I totally know about being in the hossy and someone bringing the kids to you in, um, less than their best presentable condition. But at least you got to see them, right?

I want cupcakes now. I bought a oreo cookie pan recently, I might make that instead.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
ruvalokiteshvara
Registered Users

My Mood:

Cheryl, if the door is always going to be too small to use stock doors, wouldn't it make more sense to use the $$ to fix the door frame and structure (especially if it has been kicked in at some point) so that you CAN use stock doors from here on out?

Freethinker - Free Ranger - Free for All
ruvalokiteshvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Jerry beat me inti the bathroom. need to wait a bit longer on my shower.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvalokiteshvara View Post
Cheryl, if the door is always going to be too small to use stock doors, wouldn't it make more sense to use the $$ to fix the door frame and structure (especially if it has been kicked in at some point) so that you CAN use stock doors from here on out?
The frame is an easy fix. The fact that the porch ceiling overhang, which is built into the structure of the house, makes the door height too low is not something we can "fix". Like I said, that leaves us with two options - macguver a stock door to fit a 10 pound sack of potatoes in an 8 pound space, which may compromise the structure of the door and will look wonky, or get a custom door to fit the lower height so the structure is stable and the casing around it looks normal.

Here's the thing. If the door faced the street, I would have already been considering a custom door as an option since it would greatly affect the facade of the house. But we have an inset porch where the front door is at a 90 degree angle from the street, so we were just going to go with a standard stock door since only people that come to see us would see it. I just hate spending that much money on something that doesn't really add to the appraisal of the house. A custom door is easily 3-5x more than a stock door.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a little annoyed because I think secretly DH is happy we need a custom door. He was not that impressed with all the stock doors after he stumbled across the custom door display. Well, duh, a $2000 door is going to look way better than a $200 door, dumb-butt. It's going to be a struggle to rein him in on this, because he is easily swayed by bright shiny objects. He is highly suggestible to the flashy expensive samples.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #18
ruvalokiteshvara
Registered Users

My Mood:

:throwshandsinairinresignation:

Complicated renovation issues sure do seem to follow you around! You should have married Mike Holmes!

Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #19
ruvalokiteshvara
Registered Users

My Mood:

:throwshandsinairinresignation:

Complicated renovation issues sure do seem to follow you around! You should have married Mike Holmes!

Old 05-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #20
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
at Mike Holmes!!

I am showered and dressed. Jen and MH just rolled it. The fun is about to start!