Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
petitecherie
Registered Users
seller

What inspired you?

Why did you all decide to ec? Did you have challenges with your first potty training? Or was it just for the connection with baby? Or environmental reasons?

Advertisement

petitecherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
I heard about it when I was researching cloth diapers before I had my first and thought I'd give it a try. Here I am ECing my 3rd kid now
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: What inspired you?

I grew up overseas in a 3rd world country, and even though my parents used cloth diapers with my sisters and I (prefolds & plastic pants), my mom always felt like it was somewhat of a hardship. Although our family didn't EC, I was exposed to it all around me in the rest of the country where we lived.

When I my youngest sister was 2, we moved to the states, and she quickly switched to cloth. Later, when I was in high school I spent a year in a different country, which was more developed than the place I spend my childhood, but where people also toilet trained their children from a very young age. When my middle sister was pregnant with her first I started doing a lot of research because I always thought it seemed strange that kid here learned to use the toilet so late. I came across the EC concept through several websites, and it put a name to the method I'd seen growing up. I'd decided LONG before I was even pregnant that we'd EC and use cloth.

DD is only six months old, so we're far from finished, but I love that she's so aware of her elimination. Although I often miss her signals, she almost always lets us know when she needs to use the potty. Most of our misses are just due to me thinking she's hungry or uncomfortable/bored rather than needing to potty.
Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
petitecherie
Registered Users
seller

Wow, that's really interesting. Where did you live overseas?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
petitecherie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel+3 View Post
I heard about it when I was researching cloth diapers before I had my first and thought I'd give it a try. Here I am ECing my 3rd kid now
Awesome!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

I came across the EC concept when I was pregnant with DD1. I bought a potty but didn't intend to start until she was several months old. Seemed like it was too much to deal with along with everything else a first time mom deals with.

When DD1 turned 6 weeks, she had way outgrown her pfs and I had maybe 5-6 small fitteds which meant doing laundry every hour! I remembered ECing and pulled out the potty to help not go through so many diapers.

DD2 is 3 weeks old and I started with her the day of her birth. I love that I can listen to her and meet one of her basic needs, that I can understand something that she is communicating to me. It has made parenting a NB more peaceful and fulfilling. Our 2 weeks old gets frustrated with me when I'm not reading her cry for the potty and will hold onto her poops already! She poos at least 5 times a day so I'm grateful that she prefers the potty too

Interesting about living overseas.... I also lived in a third world country and the locals on the main islands do NOT use cloth, they use cheapo sposies similar to what can be found at the $1 store. They also don't BF very long, if at all. Women were shocked that our EBF 10 month old was so chunky as they believed there was nothing good in BM. One women desperately wanted to feed our daughter white rice with tinned tuna from china, cooked with a load of MSG to make sure she was getting good food!

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by petitecherie View Post
Wow, that's really interesting. Where did you live overseas?
Kenya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaChellsRun View Post
Interesting about living overseas.... I also lived in a third world country and the locals on the main islands do NOT use cloth, they use cheapo sposies similar to what can be found at the $1 store. They also don't BF very long, if at all. Women were shocked that our EBF 10 month old was so chunky as they believed there was nothing good in BM. One women desperately wanted to feed our daughter white rice with tinned tuna from china, cooked with a load of MSG to make sure she was getting good food!
Well, this was when I was growing up, not now, so it was in the early-mid '80s. Sposies were a relatively new thing in the US (having only been in the mass-market for 10 yrs or so), and were unheard of there. B****** was uncommon (though my mother did BF us)--or at least viewed as less desirable than feeding formula by the mostly-British healthcare workers.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

2danemama - Just noticed your avi... They both look bigger than you are!! How are the danes with your children?

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
reyasunshine
Registered Users
seller

I, honestly, don't remember when or where I heard about it! Maybe from a friend of mine (she's here on DS too!)... who told me about it when her daughter was 10 months. I think that's when my research started.

It's funny... from her mom, I learned about homebirthing and cloth diapers, and then from her (as a mom), I learn about ECing! LOL. I owe a lot to this family.

I started ECing occasionally when she was 5 months old. REALLY started to get inspired by it when my daughter was teething and had SEVEN poops in one day. I felt for her, and said to myself, "Okay, that's it. We're going to try to EC full time now."

She's 9.5 months and doing great! Today, she was signing "all done," and I thought, "Huh... I wonder if she's getting confused... signing 'all done' when she needs to potty." So I sat her on the toilet, and sure enough, she went pee! I was ecstatic!

How about some Sunshine and Wonder ?

Last edited by reyasunshine; 05-21-2012 at 04:12 PM.
reyasunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaChellsRun View Post
2danemama - Just noticed your avi... They both look bigger than you are!! How are the danes with your children?
Well, DD is only 6 mo old, but they're great with her. Very gentle. Of course, we're careful too because they are very big.