Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What inspired you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DaneMama View Post
Well, DD is only 6 mo old, but they're great with her. Very gentle. Of course, we're careful too because they are very big.
That's wonderful. I've heard they have a good temperament but not sure how they are around children. My Dh loves german boxers, which are boxers that are bigger and beefier but they're so bouncy that they would hurt the LOs unintentionally. We're looking at getting australian shepherds but I know DH would love a big dog like a dane.

Advertisement

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaChellsRun

That's wonderful. I've heard they have a good temperament but not sure how they are around children. My Dh loves german boxers, which are boxers that are bigger and beefier but they're so bouncy that they would hurt the LOs unintentionally. We're looking at getting australian shepherds but I know DH would love a big dog like a dane.
They generally are known to have gentle temperaments and be good with children. Some can be a bit timid or shy, though. Are australian shepherds good with children? I'd think they would be nippy and high-energy with the herding job they were bred for.

I love pretty much any dog though. My 2 have no idea how big they are, and the cat's convinced he's bigger than either of them.

Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DaneMama View Post
They generally are known to have gentle temperaments and be good with children. Some can be a bit timid or shy, though. Are australian shepherds good with children? I'd think they would be nippy and high-energy with the herding job they were bred for.

I love pretty much any dog though. My 2 have no idea how big they are, and the cat's convinced he's bigger than either of them.

I've had good experiences with them. I grew up with two aus shep, another when I was older that was great with children and my friend has 3 of them and 10 children. She does say that they will keep the children within a boundary (they have several acres) and will herd them in when she calls. But they've never nipped at them though they do have animals that they do nip at. They herd the kids in by doing circles around them pushing them closer to the house if they don't go themselves. I think it helps that the dogs have the large space to do what they're bred for, they're not kept indoors. They're left outside without a tether or any fencing and they stay on their land. All traits that we're looking for in a dog. If we didn't have the land I wouldn't get one.

That's so cute about their size and the cat thinking it's bigger. Funny how they see themselves sometimes.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12

Last edited by SeaChellsRun; 05-22-2012 at 12:21 PM.
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaChellsRun View Post
I've had good experiences with them. I grew up with two aus shep, another when I was older that was great with children and my friend has 3 of them and 10 children
That's wonderful!! Isn't it funny how different breeds are so different? Danes generally can't handle being alone outside for more than 5-10 min. One of mine will go out on her own a little bit when our back door is open and sun herself, but if I close the door and she can't get back in when she wants she freaks out. The other one really won't go out by herself at all except to pee.
Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
dumaine
Registered Users

I was inspired to EC for a few different reasons. For one, I wanted to use cloth, but my DH did not want to clean poopy cloth diapers. Also, our changing table wasn't ready even though baby was already here! My husband was making it and was behind. I still hadn't heard of EC yet though. Also, DS skin on his bottom was so ultra sensitive. If he even sat in a pp diaper for 5 minutes he would get a terrible looking painful rash. Then, I ran across EC online and even though I thought it was so crazy bizarre initially, the more I read the more I realized it would solve all of our problems! Less poopy cloth diapers to clean, no need for the changing table, and no rashes! I started immediately and DS was like an EC pro from day one. It cleared his rash and he became a noticeably more content baby right away. I was so thankful to have found EC!

ecaPants are patent pending
dumaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #16
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

We haven't gone diaper free as much as I would like, but my little girl (13 months) has been signalling me when she needs to pee or poop since she could crawl. She'd come to me from wherever she was in the house, make sure she had my eye contact and then either pee or poop in her diaper. If I wasn't "getting it" that she had just gone, she'd bop me or fuss at me until I "got it" and then changed her right away. She still does that with poop. I feel bad that I haven't been able to offer her more diaper free time. I have a four year old son with sensory processing disorder, and we JUST finished helping him overcome some major potty issues. He's been successfully using the toilet since January (we got a LAAAATE start with him) and it was actually our experience with him that got me motivated to be more in tune with our second (and future) child(ren). He was so accustomed to just "sitting" in his wet and soiled diapers, and would never fuss to let me know when he had gone. So he got REALLY use to just sitting in it, then the transition to undies and the potty was very upsetting for him and took a lot of re-training to help him learn to listen to his body.

After seeing how much hard work it was for him to re-train, I've made a huge point of regularly checking and changing my daughter (sometimes more than once an hour if necessary) and responding immediately to wet/soiled diapers but changing her right away. I know that she is trying to communicate even more to me than I'm picking up on, and I feel guilty that I'm not able to offer her more attention and focus. But I'm doing my best.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
amberartall
Registered Users
seller

Wow! Your stories are actually inspiring! Mine just boring! lol I saw my hubby's cousins with 3 year olds and neither of them knew how to use the potty yet, and one was saying curse words and the other doesn't know how to talk basic anything... It scared me! That's also when I decided to talk to my LO as much as possible and interact in ways that will teach her new words and what things mean. My hubby sings the ABC's to her already and has been for awhile!
amberartall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
amberartall
Registered Users
seller

bump!
amberartall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #19
Kcm1535
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Started mostly b/c I read that EC'd kids tend to potty train earlier. I know this isn't the most popular answer among the EC community , but it's the truth! Am hoping my little guy will be an EC graduate earlier than the average 3.5 years for boys!!
Kcm1535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #20
kspenn
Registered Users

I saw posts about EC in a forum on Amazon, and thought it sounded like a great idea.
kspenn is offline   Reply With Quote