Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Chickpea's Mama
Registered Users
seller

Giving milk to a friend

A friend of mine gave birth to a preemie a couple of months ago and now her milk is pretty much gone. I offered to donate milk to her and she's taking me up on it. Currently, I'm tandem nursing my 6 month old and my 25 month old. My 25 month old only nurses 3-4 times a day. Has anyone every donated milk to a friend? Can someone give me the lowdown on logistics?

1. When did you pump?
2. At the beginning, how often did you pump? Did you gradually increase frequency?
3. Did you do any blood tests before starting?
4. Did you test the milk for bacteria in any way?
5. I have milk storage bags. Any tips on storing milk or milk transfer?
6. Anything else I should know?

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Re: Giving milk to a friend

that is such a wonderful gift! I barely made enough for my twins, so never had the chance to donate. Are you trying to provide the baby with a full diet of breastmilk or enough for a few bottles a day? That will determine how often you want to pump.

I hope someone can chime in with donation experience!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a little bit of experience from both sides of donating milk. When my baby was 2 1/2 m old my sister was put on antibiotics and couldn't breastfeed so I pumped for my niece. I did 3-4 times a day, took fenugreek, ate oatmeal all the time and drank a ton of water but was only able to get about 8-12 oz a day for her. But any breastmilk is better than none

Then when dd was 7m old I got pregnant again and lost my milk when she was around 9 1/2 m I have a friend who had a freezer full of milk and she has been feeding dd for the last 2 months.

It is a lot of work to start pumping if your not already but it's very rewarding and will mean the world to your friend. I can't even put into words how much I appreciate my friend giving to my baby! You are a wonderful friend to be doing that for her and her baby.

My favorite bags are the lansinoh and I always layed them flat in the deep freezer and stacked them. And I thaw for 24 hrs in the fridge. Make sure she puts the bags in something when thawing because they leak sometimes and she won't want to loose any of the milk.

For testing...Both times no one felt any testing was necessary. We all just had babies and did HIV test all during pregnancy. We also know eachother well and I know my friends lifestyle so I'm not worried. I think It would be up to your friend if she would like any testing done...and if she does it would be up to her to pay for it. She should also provide storage bags.

Wow that turned out pretty long but I hope it helps you out some!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
GodLover
Registered Users
seller

How nice of you! Wow im not sure how you are going to have enough milk of you are already feeding 2. I would pump in between feedings to help with supply but thats all I can offer up sorry mama!

And I love the diap in your avi care to tell me who makes it or where to get it?
GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
erinjvrn
Registered Users
seller

I gave milk to a good friend from LLL, just friend to friend.
Another friend, who was pumping for a little boy through a program, had all testing done. Then the boy stopped taking her milk, so she overnighted me 400 ounces. I shared it with my SILs and a newly adopted African baby in town.
I love milk sharing!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
Chickpea's Mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodLover View Post
How nice of you! Wow im not sure how you are going to have enough milk of you are already feeding 2. I would pump in between feedings to help with supply but thats all I can offer up sorry mama!

And I love the diap in your avi care to tell me who makes it or where to get it?
I get a lot of compliments on that diaper But I can't remember who made it for me. I know it was a custom order fitted and it was pretty cheap too.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

I was a breastmilk donor after my first child was born in 2006 so things may have changed. I donated to a local milk bank (Univ of Iowa hospitals and clinics), and I had to be tested for aids first. They game me an enormous bag of collection cups (4 oz each) with lids that snapped on tight, I then put a sticker label over the lid so if it was opened the sticker would rip. The label had to say how much was in each cup and the date it was pumped. I pumped with my manual pump (for me this was easy, I had a huge supply and it came out fast, with in a few minutes I could fill a 8 oz bottle after nursing my child!) they suggested cleaning methods for each use, but really couldn't monitor me since I was pumping out of my home. They also gave me an info sheet on what drugs I had to pay attention to carefully and wait so many hrs before pumping so it was out of my system (even ibuprofen and tylenol). I immediately froze the donor cups when they were full and brought my milk to the milk bank when I could fill up a cooler. They pasteruized the milk before it was ever given to babies in need.

I don't know how I would give milk to a friend just person to person. I would definitely be careful what OTC or Rx drugs I was taking and inform whoever I gave the milk to what it was if I took anything. The lansinoh bags are great. Freeze in quantities of 4 oz or less (freeze them flat so they are thin and easy to stack and thaw when needed). If I was accepting breastmilk from a friend I would want to know them fairly well to be comfortable with it.

Last edited by mariamommy; 05-20-2012 at 06:57 AM.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote