Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

My D & C

Just needed a place to write down my experience. I was 11 weeks 2 days. At 7 weeks we saw the heartbeat, at 10 weeks there was none. My body was showing no signs of letting go, no bleeding what so ever. I've had 5 other natural m/c's between 5-8 weeks and they were manageable at home. With those my body showed signs of readiness and I made it through. This time i was scared of a natural m/c at 11 weeks after reading others stories. I also didn't like the unknown of when it would occur, where my kids would be, etc. Too much to handle. And wanted genetic testing. So I opted for the D & C.

I had it on Friday morning. My (female) pastor and my DH accompanied me. I had to wait about an hour laying on the bed in a hospital gown, while various nurses, docs checked my chart and asked me questions. I brought my Ipod with me. That was very helpful to tune out the world. I listened to the orchestrated soundtrack to the Twilight Saga while waiting. At 8:50am we said a prayer and I kissed my DH goodbye, then they wheeled me into the surgery suite. I remember the anesthesiologist nurse. She was very nice and told me she'd pray for me. They put oxygen up my nose and fiddled with my hand. Then I don't remember anything else. When I woke it was 9:20 and they were wheeling me into recovery. First thing I thought was, "I'm no longer pregnant" and began to cry a bit. My DH and pastor arrived shortly after. I put my Ipod back on and closed my eyes. I left the surgery center at 10:15 and spent the rest of the day in bed with the Twilight Saga playing in my ears. My physical pain and bleeding was minimal.

I'm at peace with my decision for a D & C. It was the right thing for this miscarriage. I was able to plan to have people take care of my children, so they were gone the whole day. My DH and I had a support system through the procedure. The one thing I do miss is that I didn't get to see my baby. Somehow, that part helped with closure with the previous natural m/c's.

I did name my child. After seeing the heartbeat at 7 weeks, I did allow myself to dream a little and looked at baby names. I decided (without DH's approval) on Jack or Jane. Through out the pregnancy, I'd been feeling girl and often would think of the baby as Jane. The day before my D & C, my 4 yr old DS came downstairs and said "Mom, I don't like my name, I wanna change it. I wanna be Jack." I was floored. He knew nothing of the pregnancy, I'd never mentioned the name to him. We don't do the John/Jack nickname thing. After my D & C, DH told my that the doc said he wasn't sure they'd be able to get the genetic testing due to insurance issues. I told my DH if we aren't able to find out gender, then we are going with Jack.

So that's my story. Just needed a place to write it out.

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Re: My D & C

(((Hug))) mamma!!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
helenoftroy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope that you have a good recovery and I'm glad that you feel peaceful with your decision.

grieving our first loss 5/20/12 at 9w4d
helenoftroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a D&C in Aug at 11.4 weeks, it was one of the hardest choices I have ever made. I wasn't taken back until about 3:30pm but had to be at the hospital at 6am. When I woke up, the same exact though ran through my head..."I'm not pregnant anymore"

Praying for peace and healing for you mama

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
talitha
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had the same exact thought after I woke up from my D&C last October. It is a very empty sad feeling. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

I also did the genetic testing and it came back normal female. Then my doc ordered the repeat loss panel and it told us I have 2 copies of the MTHFR gene which can cause tiny blood clots. I had 3 losses and one living son.

I am now pregnant again and with the addition of lovenox, prescription strength folic acid, and baby aspirin things are progressing this time. I'm also seeing a gh risk OB this time too.

I only tell you all this to see if you need any info about it. Your story is very much like my last loss in that we saw heartbeat at 7, gone at 9 weeks.

I'm so sorry. I know you must be devastated. I did find the D&C much better physically and emotionally than the natural miscarriages.
talitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I woke up from my d&c I felt empty and really sad.
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Most of your story is very similar to mine. My whole story is on this page as well "What No One Tells You About A M/C". My D&C was an emergency procedure and very tramatic. It is a horrible, terrible thing we have experienced and I pray that one day the pain goes away a little. Sorry mama