Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
NiftyB
Registered Users
seller

Talk to me about Tide

There's something in my washer that I haven't seen in a long time....

SUDS!

LO is 18 months and for the past 3 months or so we have been dealing with insane ammonia diapers in the morning and ammonia in the pail. Daytime diapers usually only smell of urine...but sometimes faintly of ammonia.

We've been using Charlie's Soap since birth and it was smooth sailing until a few months ago, even with our super-duper hard well water in our former locale. But I just feel the Charlie's just isn't really cleaning anymore. I've scrubbed my pockets with original Dawn and boiled all my inserts, prefolds, flats and wipes. The ammonia came right back after 1 wash. I've tried vinegar soaks and rinses, baking soda in the wash, using the sanitary cycle, extra rinses, more Charlie's, less Charlie's...you name it. So today I'm trying Tide original HE powder...but I am very apprehensive about it...scents, build-up, etc. I actually hate the smell of Tide but am more scared of the "enzymes" in Tide Free & Gentle and how they could chew up my baby's bum!

Talk to me about Tide, mamas! Have you had good luck? Which kind do you use? Is your water hard or soft? I have a front-loader and "moderately soft" water.

Advertisement

NiftyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about Tide

We use Tide HE Liquid in our top loader. It isn't an HE machine but it is Energy Star and uses less water than a traditional machine. Our water fluctuates from hard to soft based on rainfall because we are on a well. Our routine is:

short cycle warm/cold with nothing to rinse the diapers
longest wash on hot with Tide to the 1 line and between 1/8 and 1/4 cup of bleach(we turn off the cold spout so it just runs the wash cycle, no rinse because our washer thinks it is smarter than us and it regulates the temp otherwise)
full cycle hot/cold with nothing as a rinse(turn the cold spout back on)

We have been doing the diaper laundry like this for almost a year now(when we moved to this house) and have had no issues with ammonia/rash/build up. We can't use Tide F&C because it causes rashes on DD, the HE original liquid is the only one that works for us.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Enzymes will do absolutely nothing to your diapers or your baby's bum unless they have an sensitivity. Not a lot of children actually are truly sensitive. If it's rinsed well there should be zero problems. I use Tide Free with no scent and it works just as well. I think the first thing you should do is try some bleach. The ammonia means bacteria. Everything you have heard about detergents and being afraid of anything with enzymes or brighteners is largely false. The Free and Gentle version also has enzymes. I don't trust anything WITHOUT them to clean filthy diapers.

I use Tide Free powder and have for years with zero issues. I use up to just under the 1 line but that is of the old stuff. You might have to play around with the amount. Start with the smallest recommended amount on the bottle and go from there. You may find that you need to use more or less but do not be afraid of it. I would be more afraid of the bacteria in dirty diapers than using a mainstream detergent. Good Luck!

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek

Last edited by nonipie; 05-21-2012 at 12:54 PM.
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
MotoMommaNH
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftyB View Post
There's something in my washer that I haven't seen in a long time....

SUDS!

LO is 18 months and for the past 3 months or so we have been dealing with insane ammonia diapers in the morning and ammonia in the pail. Daytime diapers usually only smell of urine...but sometimes faintly of ammonia.

We've been using Charlie's Soap since birth and it was smooth sailing until a few months ago, even with our super-duper hard well water in our former locale. But I just feel the Charlie's just isn't really cleaning anymore. I've scrubbed my pockets with original Dawn and boiled all my inserts, prefolds, flats and wipes. The ammonia came right back after 1 wash. I've tried vinegar soaks and rinses, baking soda in the wash, using the sanitary cycle, extra rinses, more Charlie's, less Charlie's...you name it. So today I'm trying Tide original HE powder...but I am very apprehensive about it...scents, build-up, etc. I actually hate the smell of Tide but am more scared of the "enzymes" in Tide Free & Gentle and how they could chew up my baby's bum!

Talk to me about Tide, mamas! Have you had good luck? Which kind do you use? Is your water hard or soft? I have a front-loader and "moderately soft" water.
you'll have to let us know how the Tide works for you! I'm curious!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
NiftyB
Registered Users
seller

Re: bleach

Does this mean that the diapers I'm running in Tide now really aren't going to get clean? Will the Tide scent just cover up any ammonia smell? Or will I know from the morning diaper tomorrow if this worked? I always wash in hot...but is that enough to kill bacteria? (obviously not, or I wouldn't be having this problem! *sigh*) Bleach, like enzymes, scares me.

Last edited by NiftyB; 05-21-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

I love Tide! I use tide f&g because the original scent was too much for me, but it worked just as well. I never have stink. I tried a few natural detergents and I had ammonia and the poo diapers still smelt like poo. What is your wash routine?

I do a warm rinse (the warm water helps break down the pee and poo), hot wash with Tide f&g, then do an extra rinse at the end and this is perfect for us.

Tide doesn't ruin diapers. It's a myth that I believed too, until I struggled with rashes and ammonia from my diapers not getting clean. I switched to tide and it is all good now!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
alicenwonderland
Registered Users
seller

I've used regular Tide since my son was a newborn. He never reacted, and i never had ammonia stink either. I'll never switch

ETA: I have diapers that have been used over 2 years and are still going strong and have only ever been washed in Tide with bleach on occasion.

Last edited by alicenwonderland; 05-21-2012 at 02:51 PM.
alicenwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

No the scent will not just cover the ammonia. The scent in the powder really isn't that strong IMO after washing and rinsing. It will still smell but it won't cover up dirty diapers.I can't stand fragrances which is why I use the Free & Gentle version. Household bleach is really not an issue. I mean I have yet to find conclusive, undisputed evidence that it causes the same amount of problems as industrial strength bleach. Clearly you want to keep it out of reach but it's safe for cleaning and laundry used sparingly. There is no reason to be afraid of either bleach(when necessary) or enzymes at all. Look at it this way exactly what would happen to your towels if you used either of those things on them? Nothing. They would not disintegrate or harm your family. Honestly, there are literally thousands of mamas on here that have been using both for YEARS through multiple children with nothing but clean diapers and healthy kids.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
RachelC
Registered Users
seller

All versions of Tide contain enzymes. I've been using Tide on my diapers for years and it's the only detergent I buy now.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
NiftyB
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, mamas!

The bedtime diaper on the bum tonight went through the Tide wash today. We'll see how it is in the morning and whether the ammonia is gone or diminished.

Our wash routine is typically cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse.