Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cloth Diaper in the Hospital

I asked this question on another board and was surprised with the answers. Apparently I am the only one up for the task. But some brought up that meconium can ruin cloth diapers. Thought I would ask what others are doing on here. So, are you ladies planning on cloth diapering from birth, or waiting a few weeks?

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
BLargy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Cloth Diaper in the Hospital

I will bring diapers but will use the sposies given to me.I am ready either way.If the birth goes smoothly than as soon as I get home.I live a bit from the hospital so I will probably put Lo in a sposie and change to cloth when I get home. I don't want to stress over it so whatever works is what I will do.I am making all my small dipes and have all my nbs already but doc hinted at the fact that the babe maybe 10lbs. I have no concern with meconium staining I just don't want cord irritation or infection.Whatever works and fits ill use.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:

Crashing here
I waited until we were home until using cloth (so day 2 or 3) but YDD did have some meconium on her cloth that did not end up staining. My sister did cloth from birth in the hospital and also had no problems with staining (She used the same diapers I did and returned them when done so that's how I know). I just used sposie's at the hospital so I didn't have to worry about bringing dirty ones home and washing. I'm glad because I had a rough recovery. My sister had her DH take the dirty ones home after the first night and wash them. Then he brought them back so she would have more clean ones.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
marthathecakelady
Registered Users
seller
seller

I want to use cloth from the get go. I just love a cloth booty! but we will see what DH says at the hospital! LOL. I will be taking them. I have enough of a stash to last a couple of days without washing so I will not have to worry about him laundering while I am there.

My facebook "fan" page
marthathecakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
chach4
Registered Users
seller

I will probably bring some cloth with but use the sposies til we leave. Just don't want to mess with it not knowing what the birth will be like and how long ill be in the hospital.... Id just prefer to not have to wash diapers when I get home, especially if I have to have another csec.
If I knows it'd be an easy delivery and standard 2 day hosp stay, I might do it, and if I could have a home birth is for sure make the first diaper a cloth...
U gotta do what works for you...
chach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am loving these answers and am surprised on how different they are I think I will be prepared for both. I didn't cloth diaper until my daughter was a little over 6 months. I made two dozen newborn diapers and I just want to cloth diaper a newborn so bad. Hold a squishy baby This will be our last after all.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
lilangel8185
Registered Users
seller

We use sposies the first day in the hospital, then use cloth with a liner, but I've never had problems with meconium staining too much even w/o a liner. We also used cloth in the hospital when our youngest was readmitted, and it wasn't that bad. It just usually is easier to use sposies at first in the hospital since most of the nurses are more familiar with them.
lilangel8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

some hospitals provide their cloth diapers (not sure if yours does) if the hospital i am delivering at offers cloth i will use theirs..other than that i think ill use sposies till out of the meconium stage. but i could change my mind too
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We will be using cloth from the get go just like last time. DH actually keeps our first diaper (I always choose a special one) in his back pocket so that is the first thing on her bum. All of the nurses have been in awe every time we've used them at the hospital. I have no problem washing once we get home so that's no problem for me and I just love little cloth bums!
Meconium will not stain, I've never had it stain before. Now breast fed baby poo is a different story, that is the only thing that has ever stained any of my diapers.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took dipes to the hossy, but had such a tough recovery I dirched it immediately- though the nurses said they would use them!!! With my 2 homebirths, we used cloth from day1 and had no staining or anything. With this babe we will prob use cloth from day1, but if I had to go back to the hossy, IDK, I'd prob use the sposies till we got home, then switch.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote