Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home birth mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post

My old midwife is insistent to all the mamas that the first 10 days after birth should be nothing but rest with baby! You need to highlight that in your midwife's notes and copy it to tape to the walls all throughout the house as reminders to your mom and dh! wowzers!
Yeah, my midwife had said the same thing, but the only thing my husband heard was "don't leave the house", apparently.
My mom didn't hear anything because she was too busy taking pictures and playing with her brand new iPad
She had been there for 10 days already and we ate pretty much all of the food that I had made and saved up for after the birth, since he was a week late. Her excuse for not making coffee?! "I don't know how to use the french press" yeah. OMG how hard is it to use a french press?!!!!! It's so easy, it doesn't even come with instructions!!
Why couldn't she start the dishwasher? "I can't find the detergent". Where do you think it is?! Under the sink, duh!!!! Never mind, I'll just do it myself....*grumble grumble*

back to your regularly-scheduled thread, haha.

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

my MW told me not to use the stairs for 2 wks...that's not how I roll, lol. I am up and going to the grocery store in less than a day, cooking, whatever I feel like doing. I do get yucky feeling the day my milk comes in, so I need to remind myself of that and to take it easy right before and right after my milk comes in.
Also, I would use a birth tub (never had the chance and won't this time either) and have a designated person to take pics. They don't have to be professional, but that would be a nice touch.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
my MW told me not to use the stairs for 2 wks...that's not how I roll, lol. I am up and going to the grocery store in less than a day, cooking, whatever I feel like doing. I do get yucky feeling the day my milk comes in, so I need to remind myself of that and to take it easy right before and right after my milk comes in.
Also, I would use a birth tub (never had the chance and won't this time either) and have a designated person to take pics. They don't have to be professional, but that would be a nice touch.
I would be stuck with just a bathroom & bed if I did that. I spent the whole first day in bed & even now at almost 5wks pp haven't done a whole lot of cooking/cleaning - my mil was here for a week & did all of the cooking/cleaning, then she took dd1 with her for a week so we were lazy & had cereal/random easy things for a week & then we stayed with mil for a week, dp goes back to work monday & i am looking forward to getting back to normal.

I did wash my birth laundry, lol though I made dp bring it down the stairs for me.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
rosiewik
Registered Users
seller

I stocked my freezer. My MIL came to "help." The first 2 days she was there with her sis and cooked, cleaned, layed low. It was really nice. After he sis went home she simply prepared everything in my freezer and liberally tossed the left overs. When I noticed that my house had no groceries (my hugeeeee stash my gone in days with the way she wasted...) and my kitchen was trashed I asked her if she would take my debit card to the store and get some food. She suddenly got quite "ill" and had to go! obscene.

that all sounds so bad. It wasn't awful, but I needed a lot of physical and emotional support and hubs had to go do a huge grocery errand when he was exhausted. after all the planning we did we were... not happy!

We'll be stocking the freezer/pantry once more, and this time MIL is only invited for a short lunch when we're not so frazzled. She just wasn't helpful!

also, LOTS of extra sheets and a mattress protector is nice.
rosiewik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
rosiewik
Registered Users
seller

oh also, I loved having little baskets with a bottle of water, trail mix, protein bars, fruit, diapers, and wipes squirrels all over the house. that was super handy!
rosiewik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies
I only had a homebirth with my first child. I was shocked by how messy my house was afterward (it was a long, very hard labor and delivery) and by how many loads of laundry my mom had to do after it... wowzers (i was in and out of the birth pool constantly, as well as going pee and missing chuckpads,etc... i was in a trance/daze state and didn't even care one bit what was happening as far as peeing... so there were tons of towels,rags, cloths to wash). If I could do-over, I would hire a lady to come out the next day and clean/mop/vacuum/do laundry/take down birth pool/etc. My mom was exhausted as she was with me the whole 30 hours and so was my hubby, but my mom did all the chores anyway, though it took a few days. It would have been much easier to just have hired a friend to come over and take care of all the clean-up.

Also, would have made and froze lots of snack foods (like granola bars, energy balls, grapes, yogurt/smoothies on a stick, etc) as the first week was pretty crazy. It would have been handy just to grab the first few days after birth as I didn't feel like eating heavy meals.
that stinks you had so much clean up. my mw cleaned up everything. my dh just had to switch a load from washer to dryer and start a second load.

my labors were really fast so I never used any food, or most of the stuff they tell you to have on hand for labor. but for after, I had a basket that I kept, diapers, change of clothes for baby, wipes, blanket, etc, plus water and a snack. basically anything I would need, and I made sure to always have it within reach so I wasnt constantly jumping up to get stuff.

Sent from my droid using DS Forum
Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
darci
Registered Users
seller

I wish we had set up the carseat and talked about what if a hospital transfer, because we had a hospital transfer after the baby was born. I also wish we had talked about when visitors would be welcome. Dear 50 relatives of DH, I'm trying to figure out this breastfeeding thing.
darci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #18
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would make sure you have lots of straws so it's easier for you to drink a lot. Also, lots of snacks!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #19
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would have bought our own birth pool. My mw had one but had 2 other ladies due close to me and I didn't want her to leave it here and then need it before I did. I ended up having a quick labor and birth once mw got here so no pool I probably would have had my own set up before my due date and used it to relax with my kids.
Also, frozen meals and snacks made for after would've been nice! DH was great and cooked a lot but would've been nice to rest with him too
Vitamin waters and bendable straws were great during and after labor!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #20
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oops, double post.

Last edited by mommycass; 06-19-2012 at 06:30 AM.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote