Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
MyLovely
Registered Users

Sensitivity to hormones and Nuva Ring? UPDATE in OP

Just wondering if anyone has experience? I'm pretty sensitive to hormones...I tried a few BCPs and they all left me with side effects. I suck at remembering to take pills, and everyone (doctor included) tells me that Nuva is my best bet because it's low-dose and not very high maintenance. I'm still worried though, that I'll have negative side effects. Experiences? Thoughts?

UPDATE! I just finished my second full cycle on it and I'm in love. No weight gain, skin is better, sex drive is normal, no downsides at all. Best of all was my period! After a year of paragard periods (7+ days of HEAVY bleeding, I had to use the ultra tampons because my mama cloth/diva couldn't keep up) I wasn't quite sure what to do with a 4 day really light period, it was too light even for my diva cup

Just thought I'd update so any other skeptics would be motivated to give it a go

Advertisement

Last edited by MyLovely; 06-26-2012 at 09:31 PM.
MyLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sensitivity to hormones and Nuva Ring?

I would do a lot of research, I have heard that blood clots are more common with Nuvaring because of the type of hormone it has in it.

I have the same problem with hormonal birth control causing a lot of side effects for me and I am researching now as to what we will use after baby #3 is born.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
MyLovely
Registered Users

Thanks for the quick reply, and hopefully you find something that works for you! I'm not too worried about blood clots; I'm young, healthy, active and a non-smoker so my risk level is pretty low.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just went off nuva ring. I had to go off of it, because we believe it was what was making my FMS pain so bad.... cause as soon as I went off of it... much better. I was also having lots of tremors, etc since I started it... so we'll see if they resolve. Other BCPs like Yaz, didn't affect me so terribly.
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nak...there aren't enough negative words in the english language to express my feelings about the nuva ring. I am generally pretty happy and haven't ever really struggled with depression, but the nuva ring really did a number to me in terms of mood and outlook. My DH wanted me to go off of it because of my pervasive negativity. He even said (although, I can't get him to own it now...) that he'd rather have a baby a year than have me on the nuva ring.

Good luck finding something, I am so turned off of hormonal bc because of my nuva ring experience.
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I've used the nuva after having each of the kids, it works fine, minimal side affects on me, it does/can give you a stomach ache/cramps feeling though. I got my rx after I had my now 12 week old but have not started using it. i am just unsure about bc right now. A friend of mine ended up in the hospital due to a massive amount of blood clots, she was also on the nuvaring. it scared me, I don't smoke or anything but seeing someone irl go through what she did and then also the clots, freaked me out.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Kenshin
Registered Users
Formerly: jes**e
seller
seller

Last edited by Kenshin; 11-10-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
MyLovely
Registered Users

Thanks for the array of stories! I have actually used nuva before, for about four months (before switching to the copper IUD, which expelled itself after over a year of no issues). I was initially against it, because I do react poorly to hormones. However, I used it for only a few months (so not enough times for side effects to sort themselves out) and had been using the pill for a long time before that, so the side effect I experienced (a small amount of weight gain) was already there. I also attributed my low libido at the time to the hormones, but it turned out to be depression related. I had no issues with the nuva ring in terms of usage, so I'm hoping that, unlike the pills, I have no side effects
Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was on it and I hated it. I was so moody and even paranoid! I don't react to hormones very well. Normally people can't even tell when I'm on my period since I don't really get mood swings or emotional, but with the nueva ring I was a crazy person.

Last edited by Mamma527; 04-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Mamma527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
MyLovely
Registered Users

Re: Sensitivity to hormones and Nuva Ring? UPDATE in OP

Bump for update