Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Anna0623
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to store diapers

How do you store diapers so that the elastic does not get ruined. I'm replacing elastic on a number of fitted newborn and small diapers. I have another year before we star ttc ing and don't want to have to replace elastic once I'm pregnant.

Advertisement

Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
tasundance
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How to store diapers

I put mine in large zip lock bags and put those inside a rubbermaid container.
Tricia~31 Married for 13 years to Chad~36. Semi Crunchy mama to Aurora~12, Ethan~10, Jacob~8, Annika~5, Makenna~4, Niko James~3, Cyrus~1 and blessing #8 due 10/10/15
tasundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
cmaniezzz
Registered Users
seller
seller

What makes the elastic go bad when we store them in room temp?

Knita's Knitting YYMN/MYMN custom
Like myFacebook page to win free YYMN
cmaniezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All of my KL0s elastic is shot. I had them in a Rubbermaid tub, in the house! I checked them after about two years and they were all bad. Makes me mad. Now I'm prego and I don't know what to do to fix them.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Moodene
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wondered if the elastic has a certain type of rubber in them..I only use the best type of elastic when making my granddaughter's diapers..cheap cotton elastic does not hold up long at all...
Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

I would actually caution you to NOT put the dipes in any type of sealed container, unless they were going to be stored in the garage or someplace where animals could damage them. Pretty sure that, in this case at least, the fabric and elastic need to breathe a little, so putting them in an airtight container may do more damage than good.
We bought our BG 3.0s about 3+ years ago. Used them with DS for a few months, then I had to go on bed rest (preg with DD), so I cleaned and dried all of the diapers, put them in a very clean, completely dry wetbag that doesn't seal shut (it is one of those doorknob ones), and stuck them in the closet...for about a year and a half. Pulled them out when DD was about the same age that DS was when we stopped, and they were still in excellent shape. Then, last November, we moved and had washer problems. So, back into the closet the dipes went for a few more months until we figured out the problem. Pulled them out - still in great shape.
I really think the difference was storing them in a breathable bag, in a part of the house that was out of the way, but still kept at a normal, moderate temp.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

I've stored mine in Sterilite containers with lids in a spare bedroom for 8+ years (some of them) with no issues. Of the 1500 diapers that I once had, I've had maybe 10-12 end up with bad elastic.

Sent from iPhone which is out to get me for some reason that is unbeknownst to me. ISO YN Munki Sushi, AhMay sets, Small BG AIOs in twilight, grasshopper, ribbit, clementine

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
IDDDSO: Charlie Banana XS and S in Lavendar!
jessi4jc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
kravenscookiejar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't even realize that this was something that I needed to consider!

I still have so much to learn about cloth diapering.

What would make this elastic so different from the elastic in clothing?
kravenscookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have heard it is about how you store them in a sealed container. As far as I know a cardboard box w/ a lid like a document box inside the house w/ a/c or airflow etc is best? at least that's what I have done
Old 05-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
JLea
Registered Users
seller

I've also heard if you wash them periodically it will help prevent it...anyone else heard this? I was told it is basically dry rot happening to the elastic and that the best way to prevent it is to make sure the diapers and elastic are completely dry and stored somewhere with good air circulation. That said I've had a diaper go bad just from sitting with the rest of my rotating stash for about 3 months of no use :/. I think the kind of elastic definitely plays a factor, too. I've also noticed that most of mine that went bad were diapers that the elastic was sewn in and not encased (does that make sense?). I wonder if that has an effect?