Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
USMCwifey7907
Registered Users
seller

The start of my newborn twin stash! help!

Here's the start of our cloth diaper stash for our boy/girl twins (EDD 10/13/12)

Not pictured are 3 girly pocket diapers (which I'll be using once she fits into them) 2 Happy Heiny hibiscus pockets and 1 purple Sunbaby pocket diaper

How many prefolds/covers is a good amount for twins if I plan to wash diapers every other day?? So far I've only bought 5 prefolds, b/c I feel like I don't know which ones are "best". I also only have 3 snappis right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	398291_3329300787388_1114500792_32385295_1138408031_n.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	106122  

Advertisement

USMCwifey7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The start of my newborn twin stash! help!

In the beginning I always count on 12 diapers per day, maybe even 15-18 when using prefolds since that sometimes means changing more often, or they get used to clean up spit up from time to time.

So for twins, I would guess 30 per day, and for washing every other day at least 60.

That doesn't mean you will always use 60 diapers, but won't have to worry about running out while the diapers are in the wash, or if you are a couple of hours behind on your wash routine.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love the GMD newborn prefolds. I'd get those. Also, you might want to wash every day because if you wash too many diapers at once they may not get clean. I'd try washing every other day first though
Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
Formerly: unbreakableangel
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise View Post
In the beginning I always count on 12 diapers per day, maybe even 15-18 when using prefolds since that sometimes means changing more often, or they get used to clean up spit up from time to time.

So for twins, I would guess 30 per day, and for washing every other day at least 60.

That doesn't mean you will always use 60 diapers, but won't have to worry about running out while the diapers are in the wash, or if you are a couple of hours behind on your wash routine.

I have NIP snappi's for super cheap if you need more. Are you planning on wool, fleece or PUL covers? Getting OS covers might be best once they are past the newbie stage if you are doing PUL.
ISO/IHA!
Reuben Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
mythik
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree that 60 is a good number to have and be sure to buy some preemie/true newborn as twins (as you know) are so small often times.

Congrats!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You will most likely be needing to wash daily simply because the pail gets full. If you do every other day in the beginning you'll be doing two loads anyway, so you might as well wash every day. I had enough diapers to go at least every other day if not every third day, but had to wash every day.

I didn't personally like PF's on my twins. The preemie ones were too high in the rise for a long time and I had to double up on them since they weren't very absorbent. I loved my nb mutts (start fitting at 5lbs and my twins were 5lbs and 5lbs 6oz).

I suggest you have at least 40 diapers if washing daily. If you really think it'll work to go every other, then at least 60.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If I were to CD twins, I would want 60 GMD or Diaper Rite newborn prefolds and 15-20 NB covers (prob Bummis Super Brites and some pull-on fleece covers) and 4 sets of Boingos or snappis. This would be the most cost effective for those first couple weeks/ months depending on how tiny they are Congrats on your twins!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
JLea
Registered Users
seller

I would say 60, also. We got by with 24 for one newborn, but I wish I would have had an extra dozen so I wasn't pressed to do laundry on a strict schedule. (B/c as you know you're on the babies' schedule )
Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
zootzmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was also going to suggest some preemie fitteds or pul diapers. My little guy weighed 4 lb 13 oz when we checked out of the hospital. all the NB diapers were HUGE on him. We mostly did sposies until 2 weeks old because I wasn't prepared for such a little one. Made me so sad.

If anyone makes diapers from the xs comet tails that was a great fit at about 5 lbs or so and I think I have heard the JMP preemie diaper works great too. I'm sure some WAHM's would sew some up for you!

Good luck!
zootzmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

I just got these preemie prefitteds (prefolds converted into fitteds) with aplix from Nana's Bottoms and they are awesome. They were also super cheap. See if she can work up 2 dozen for you. Then you'd have something super small for the babies to wear, even if you had to wash every day for a month or so. Get 8 Bummis Super Brite covers to go with them!

After that I would go with 48 prefolds. And then get 6 fitteds for nights.

Sent from iPhone which is out to get me for some reason that is unbeknownst to me. ISO YN Munki Sushi, AhMay sets, Small BG AIOs in twilight, grasshopper, ribbit, clementine

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
IDDDSO: Charlie Banana XS and S in Lavendar!
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote