Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #121
xiabelle
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Gahh!! This is why so many cloth newbies have laundry issues!

I'm a big Tide fan.

When we first started, I used All F&C liquid. After a couple of months, I started getting some stink from buildup. I switched to RnG. All was good for a while... and then DD started getting these awful bright red patches. I finally figured out it was the RnG. I used 2-3 TBS, btw... and I still didn't always feel things were totally clean with my front-loader.

I finally switched to Tide and haven't looked back. No problems with smell. Occasionally I'll have a little but usually a normal hot cycle with just the stinky ones fixes it, sometimes I don't even need soap for that. And usually that's because I washed too many diapers at once.

My routine is pretty easy. Warm soak cycle (or rinse with no spin) to add weight in my FLer, then a Whites Whites wash with Tide to the first or second line (hot wash, double rinse.) Easy.

I never understood using so little detergent. I am a firm believer that you don't necessarily need a lot (and you don't need a lot of bubbles for clean at all!) but you certainly need enough to get the job done.

Advertisement

xiabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #122
sammytomato
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12551 View Post

Every time I am grating soap to make homemade I wish I could use Tide, but I have terrible reactions to even the unscented
I hate grating soap too so now I use a food processor to grate my soap when I'm making detergent. Actually, it basically turns it into powder. And it takes very little time.
sammytomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #123
Cell
Registered Users

Oh wow! You can get Sun at Big Lots?? Good to know, thanks!
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #124
tryin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
I use tide and do a cool rinse, hot wash, extra rinse. No soaking required. Theo nly time I had issues was when I followed cd "safe" instructions with RnG.
This is my routine
Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #125
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tide gal here too! I've never had a problem other then first having to strip my used diapers. If I ever get any stinks or build up I do 3 no-soap hot washes each with its own rinse, and they come out perfect. I've only had to do this once in the 7 months we've used them. CD's have been a dream for us... makes me sad so many people have Tide allergies because it's really wonderful.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #126
zabnut
Registered Users

A little off topic but I read an article saying that the sanitary cycle on some new front loaders are actually melting the PUL in some diapers. Just an FYI.
Also, I dig tide too.
zabnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #127
katyldf
Registered Users
seller

I used all free and clear military version for a year and then a friend talked me into rocking green I went on a 6 month diaper vacation bc of the stink!! Never again I'll stick with what works and not what's popular!! Oh course now the base we are at doesn't sell the military version do back to square one. And oh tide I wish I could use you!! But your turn me itchy and purple I'd hate to see my kids reaction!!
katyldf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #128
Beccadssmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tried tide after all the hype about how it was working so well for people. Yeah, well not us.
I treid so many combinations at the beginning but have returned to our beloved "that natural laundry soap" rockin'green.
It works VERY well for us. We also use the ammonia bouncer and I use the femme rock on my momma cloth.

routine:
cold rinse w/ ammonia bouncer
Hot wash/ warm rinse w/ 2 tbs rocking green (sometimes three depending on how big the load is)
warm wash/cold rinse -- the remove all pockets
Ecover soak for fitteds, prefolds, wipes, etc
pockets are hung to dry, everything else goes in the dryer for one cycle and then hung if still damp

Beccadssmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #129
allinmyhead
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! This is good news to me! When I was CDing DS, all I heard was that I needed to use cloth safe detergent. Never use regular laundry soap and Tide was the worst (from what I "learned"). I used Crunchy Clean and only used one meager scoop. I completely stopped using pockets because of the smell.

Tide is my detergent of choice so good to know I won't have to fork over extra cash for "special" detergent!
allinmyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #130
lavatea
Registered Users
seller

OK, what about vinegar? Does it really ruin the PUL?

Should I be hanging my pocket covers? I currently dry the on M heat.

Is Oxyclean OK? Is it a good substitute for Clorox? Will it make some of these dingy inserts look nicer?
lavatea is offline   Reply With Quote