Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #21
magoose
Registered Users

Re: Gahh!! This is why so many cloth newbies have laundry issues!

I tried Tide and it was a disaster. I just couldn't get it rinsed out enough and DS1 broke out into a huge rash (yes, I did lots of HOT washes afterwards). I use natural CD safe detergent on all our laundry but I use way more than the recommended amount. I use the full amount of detergent and have never had any problems with stink, build-up, etc. IMO, it's not necessarily the detergent but the amount. I've heard of people using as little as a teaspon in a load of dirty diapers....really?? My clothes wouldn't get clean with that amount let alone dirty dirty diapers.

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #22
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was terrified of washing cloth when I started 4 years ago with all of the complicated routines and special detergents.

I started with Charlie's, and just never felt like things were getting completely clean.

I'm SO glad I read about Tide somewhere. I've been using it ever since that first bottle of Charlie's ran out, with only a handful of issues that required minimal attention. But using some of the same diapers on 3 kids for 4 years you are going to have to strip or bleach a handful of times!

I use the small load amount of Tide, hot wash, 2 cold rinses and that's it! No harder than doing any other load of laundry for me.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #23
crysm10
Registered Users
seller

I am having horrible ammonia problems. My water is soft and nothing seems to work. I have tried 1 tbsp of tide and rng...horrible with both. Even though my water is soft, should I try using more tide? How much should I use?
crysm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #24
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottermomma View Post
So true. At the cloth 101 class I took I was told to use tide lol. She said they carried rng but it didn't work for everyone and after years of trouble shooting and clothing herself tide is the best option in her opinion (coming from the store owner)
That's totally great to hear!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysm10
I am having horrible ammonia problems. My water is soft and nothing seems to work. I have tried 1 tbsp of tide and rng...horrible with both. Even though my water is soft, should I try using more tide? How much should I use?
Yes more! The amount depends on the load size. I wash every 2 days, and that is 14ish diapers. I use upto the highest line/top of the scoop (I use powder because it worked better), but I have hard water so I have to bleach every other wash. With my wash load set to the highest load, and on super wash that has like two rinses.

I also found that my Tide F&C has a faint sent after the wash but is gone after the dry. It worried me at first, but it has not bothered DD's ubersensitive skin.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #26
s.rose
Registered Users
seller

this forum as really opened my eyes about (1) not being so afraid of laundering cloth diapers (my first is due late July and there is so much scary info about ruining your diapers with the wrong detergent!) and (2) that it's OKAY to try other kinds of detergent that aren't considered CD-safe by all the "experts" putting up websites out there. I think we are going to start with Tide and if we have issues, we will sort it out from there!
s.rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #27
Xanders
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysm10
We have a water softener & I use up to the 2 line at least! I just do a hot wash after instead of a rinse. Zero issues.
Xanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #28
Jenn454SS
Registered Users
seller

I completely agree with this post! I used rng and had major, really sad rashes. We now use liquid tide f & g and love it in my FL. I use the heavy duty/bulky option that is preset with a prewash and extra rinse. I just put diapers and tide in, push one button, and done
I do think rng can work for some people. And so much depends on your water type and child. But I just do not get the complicated washing routines or staring at the machine until all of the bubbles are gone. I would go crazy and quit cd all together. I've read of mamas that do multiple washes with no detergent, then one with detergent, and three rinsed. I cannot imagine all that water. And don't even get me started on people that pour gallons of extra water into the machine manually.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DS Forum
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #29
crysm10
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the advice! Will definitely be adding more detergent now.
crysm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #30
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
Like.