Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #31
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

Re: Gahh!! This is why so many cloth newbies have laundry issues!

Here is what I don't understand...people lose their mind when dealing with cloth! Do they was their regular laundry with a tsp of detergent? I don't think so!! Do their towels repel water? I don't think so!

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #32
A.Fred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielsmama View Post
Thanks A.Fred! That's what I wondered...btw,our son will have the same name as yours)
It's a good name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aithyne View Post
RNG isn't bad, either, but you don't want to use only a tbsp of detergent, you know?
and yeah I agree on this..I think RnG works for some..but the stupid deal of "oh less is better" uhhh..no. lol.
A.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #33
editrix
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I can't use Tide

I tried once and poor DS broke out into horrible eczema because of the scents in Tide. It's too bad, I was hoping to save money on the detergent.
I see you're in Canada. I use Sunlight Sensitive and haven't had a problem with it.
editrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #34
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, a small amount of detergent (especially a less powerful detergent) isn't going to do a good enough job of getting pee and ammonia and poop out of diapers.

I used RnG for awhile and it worked great... but I think it was once my son started having messier poops and was no longer just breast fed that it stopped being enough. I switched to Tide F&G (powder) and was having great results. But now I'm stuck again. I've been noticing that the diapers don't smell super clean. I use up to the 1 line (as far as I know we have regular to slightly soft water) and then I'd do an extra hot wash/cold rinse after I was done to get the suds out (because there were still a lot of suds).

The other day I washed in RnG again (I still have samples, plus I do like to use it occasionally for certain things, and I like to do a soak with it sometimes) but I used more than the recommended amount. The diapers smelled so clean. Well, like NOTHING. But I can't afford to pay that much for detergent, especially when I need to use so much more of it.

We have a lot of Tide F&G left, and it's what we use on our regular laundry. But I might try another brand of mainstream detergent to see if I can find something that works better. I hate most scented laundry stuff so I'd like to avoid that.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #35
MotoMommaNH
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordbox View Post
I agree, a small amount of detergent (especially a less powerful detergent) isn't going to do a good enough job of getting pee and ammonia and poop out of diapers.

I used RnG for awhile and it worked great... but I think it was once my son started having messier poops and was no longer just breast fed that it stopped being enough. I switched to Tide F&G (powder) and was having great results. But now I'm stuck again. I've been noticing that the diapers don't smell super clean. I use up to the 1 line (as far as I know we have regular to slightly soft water) and then I'd do an extra hot wash/cold rinse after I was done to get the suds out (because there were still a lot of suds).

The other day I washed in RnG again (I still have samples, plus I do like to use it occasionally for certain things, and I like to do a soak with it sometimes) but I used more than the recommended amount. The diapers smelled so clean. Well, like NOTHING. But I can't afford to pay that much for detergent, especially when I need to use so much more of it.

We have a lot of Tide F&G left, and it's what we use on our regular laundry. But I might try another brand of mainstream detergent to see if I can find something that works better. I hate most scented laundry stuff so I'd like to avoid that.
Is it possible that the RnG just cleaned off the residues left behind by the Tide? Maybe like shampoo you can alternate or something?
I would try the Tide again on your cloth diapers the next time you wash and see how it goes!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #36
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, it's possible. I've still been using the Tide, the diapers are "clean" but they just seem a bit dingy and don't smell 100%. Maybe I'll try alternating, but what a pain! Or maybe I'll just do a monthly wash with Dawn or something.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #37
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadducky112 View Post
Ive seen this too and Ive actually commented saying they were way over complicating things. Its really annoying when they argue with you. One had mentioned that you need to throw wet towels in your HE washer along with your diapers and that you should add water with a hose. I was just shaking my head..
Adding water via a hose is a GREAT way to end up needing a new washer. NOT a good idea. I used to use natural detergents and everything was always crunchy, even prefolds smelled from using them at night, and we battled frequent rashes. All our EBF diapers came out looking like they went in. I just assumed that was normal with EBF diapers. Uh, NOPE.

Then I switched to mainstream detergents and it was SO easy. Diapers were SOFT without softener, no stains, no rashes, no smells even after overnight. I have used Tide in the past but my son is sensitive to the scented kind and I find that ALL F&C w/oxyactive does a better job than the free & gentle Tide liquid. I use that version of ALL for all our dirty farm clothes, diapers, everything. I never stain treat, the detergent is cheap and even with hard water we have nice soft CLEAN clothing. I'd love to use natural detergents if they actually did a good job. I don't have time for repeated washing and stripping of diapers, nor do I want to waste $ on that.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #38
triscuitsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I started cloth diapering almost six years ago and I wanted to say yes yes yes to this thread. My wash routine was always way simple and I used detergents that worked without worrying if they were cloth diaper specific. I couldn't afford to make it complicated because I was using coin washers for a good chunk of my oldest sons time in diapers.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #39
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottermomma View Post
So true. At the cloth 101 class I took I was told to use tide lol. She said they carried rng but it didn't work for everyone and after years of trouble shooting and clothing herself tide is the best option in her opinion (coming from the store owner)
Sounds like Abby's Lane I went to her class also
Old 05-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #40
Jenn454SS
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2littles
Here is what I don't understand...people lose their mind when dealing with cloth! Do they was their regular laundry with a tsp of detergent? I don't think so!! Do their towels repel water? I don't think so!
Haha love the towels comment

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DS Forum