Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone have children with Sensory Processing Disorder?

I am new to Diaper Swappers as of today. Yay!

My 4 year old son was recently diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder and has had two sessions of Occupational Therapy already which seem to be going really well. We are fortunate to live in Portland, Oregon - which has several really great clinics for SPD.

I'm looking to connect with other parents of children with SPD. I'll be back at some point to share more of out story, but for now I'd love to hear how old your child is, how long since you've had a diagnosis, what specific challenges your child has, and what has "worked" well to help your family manage and cope.

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Shaunam
Registered Users

Re: Anyone have children with Sensory Processing Disorder?

We're thinking DS will be diagnosed with this. He's in PT currently, originally for toe-walking, then we discovered he was having other physical issues as well. They recommended OT, which he'll probably start in a week or two. We'll do speech too since he's still a little behind and has some oral sensitivities anyway.

He'll also be evaluated in the autism clinic. They want to see if he's on the spectrum before going ahead with treating his anxiety.

For him the biggie is the anxiety. He's a very high-strung child. I think the sensory stuff aggravates his anxiety, if not brings it on entirely. The doctors were talking ADHD but I don't feel that's right. I think he has difficulty focusing because of the sensory stuff.

Early on, he had a ton of issues with eating. He couldn't eat solids at all until 15 months and didn't stop puking at every meal until he was two. He just gagged on *everything*. That gave him food anxiety issues that he's just now outgrowing.

He having difficulty with both gross and fine motor stuff. He's extremely clumsy and falls down a lot, runs into doorways, etc. He has difficulty eating and doing up fasteners, etc.

He's 7 and honestly I only just realized a few months ago how far behind his peers he was falling.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

My 3.5-year-old son was diagnosed 1.5 years ago at 26 months old. I have a blog that I post to about our experiences in the sensory world as well.

http://mysensationalsquarepeg.blogspot.com/
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest DS is turning 5 in August and was originally diagnosed with SPD and now has went on to get an official diagnosis of ASD. We struggle alot with mostly oral sensory issues but some auditory, smell and touch sensory too. He also has a mild speech delay, behvioural issues and delays in his gross and fine motor skills. He's been in therapy for 2 years now and has an aide at school who is amazing and has helped him come a long ways in the past few months. We are starting into having some more intensive OT time for him as of July 1st because its taken a long time to get all the proper supports and funding in order but I'm really looking forward to seeing what we can do to help him. His OT wants to reassess his sensory profile now that he's almost 5 to see if anything has changed so we can focus on goals for the future.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Alida
Registered Users
seller

I have 2 kiddos with pretty bad PSD

DS1 has high functioning autism and is a serious sensory seeker. He will put almost snything in his mouth and when he is anxious or overloaded like when we go out he will start licking walls, carts ect.

DS2 is a sensory avoider and has serious issues with textures and sensations. He for one hates the feeling of freshly cut nails so I can only cut them every 2 weeks or so then he'll spend the rest of the day with his hands held out in front of him He flinches bad when anything enters his personal bubble and cannot stand getting his hands messy at all. He is not autistic but he does have a speech delay and vision problems.

We do OT once a week and DS1 also does hippotherapy once a week as well.
Alida is offline   Reply With Quote