Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #71
Registered Users
Re: Hyena Cart Store Selling Diapers Donated to CDF

WOW! It just makes me feel terrible, that on the one hand I might have purchased diapers from this group or others who get donated items and then turn around and sell them for a profit, or that things that I gave away to try to help someone might have been used this way. Just icky all around!

Laura, mom to C (9/09) and T (1/12)
Etsy Shop Coupon code DSMAMA for 10% off!
mom2corag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #72
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by WishingTree View Post
Sorry you're having trouble mama Have you done a search to see if your area has a Cloth Diaper Bank or something similar? Its becoming quite popular and a lot of areas are starting to get on board with CDing.

Unfortunately, this has pretty much burned me from donating to people/companies I don't know on a personal level. It makes me sad, but this is seriously the 8th time I've been scammed. I've done the internet thing, only to find them on the FSOT boards a week later for 20% off retail. I've done the Craigslist thing, Only to have the "needy mom" pull up in (no not an Escalade) but a 2011 Town and Country and she turned out to be a consignment shop owner who got free stuff on CL and then sold it in her store!! Its really upsetting that so many people are out there just to take advantage of the kindness of strangers..
And you could donate to someone, and THEY could be scammed -- people donate to us, and I can't guarantee the mama who I give diapers to isn't going to sell the diapers.

Though we do several little things to try to prevent being taken advantage of, (on here, I sure read people's previous posts! they say a LOT) it does happen, but I try not to let it keep me from helping someone in the process. I've gotten lovely thank you notes from mamas whose cloth was so holey, they couldn't reliably take their kid on an outing, someone who could save the $100 they would have spent on sposies towards groceries or the electric bill, and various goods have kept mamas from giving up on CD altogether. I've seen my stuff passed on on FFS or lottos a couple of times, and one mama traded diapers I gave her for some larger ones when her son outgrew them. One mama passed on the things I sent her and added several beautiful items of her own when she could barely pay her own rent. Another mama who got CDs from us wrote a lovely handwritten note of encouragement to someone on here just starting out.

Here's one thing though -- women who come to our agency needing sposies will wait in line an hour in the rain for 12 disposable diapers (coming before we open, so they can get them before we run out), and they come every month; those who got cloth, I can go months without seeing them, the urgency is gone. So I do believe most of the diapers are going right on baby's bottom. I'm sure I have been taken advantage of before, but as "all things come of Thee, O Lord, and of Thine own have we given Thee", I try to remember the things were not really "mine" to begin with, and letting go of paranoia of misuse of generosity is very freeing.

How can I say this? Once I have given the item away, after a good faith effort to give it to someone in need, I give away with it the responsibility to use it as intended. I am not responsible for someone else's shortcomings.

That all being said, the actions of the CDF completely disgust me!!!!!!!
Sarai, RN, non-profit volunteer, cloth diaper ministry, Married for 20 years, mama to 2 kids on Earth, and 2 little girls in Heaven, G., T., K. and J.
Sarai* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #73
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm someone who is pretty jaded by all of the stories that I read on the Internet. Everyone has a story. Everyone. I have come to learn that I am better off donating my time/energy to organizations and donating the money to family members in need.

It is so sad that people would exploit others in this manner.
CuriousElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #74
Registered Users
My Mood:
My great grandma was scammed by the minister in the 70's-/80's - cant remember his name - but people always gave her a hard time about it. My mama asked her once, "Granny, doesn't it bother you that man took your money and ran?"
Granny: "Honey, I gave my money to the Lord, what he does with it is his business."

When I give stuff away, I have to take a deep breath and remember that.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #75
Registered Users

This whole thing makes me sick. When we first decided to try to cloth diaper, we really needed help. I tried to contact this "charity", we were well within their standards. Then I was told that the previous people running it were leaving due to family issues or something, that every family with "pending applications" were on indefinite hold. We did find a way to cloth diaper, it was slow and financially rough at first until we got a working stash. I was clueless to this fiasco until today. I had planned on donating to GDGH or similar when we were done cd'ing, now I am reconsidering. Private donation, I think, will be the way I go.
Absolutely sickening.
nikolelily is offline   Reply With Quote