Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone have to take progesterone shots? Need to decide today.

So I am 23 weeks with my 3rd child and my OB is recommending I start taking Progesterone shots weekly. My first child was born at 38 weeks and my 2nd at 35 weeks. DD (35 weeker) had zero problems and spent no time in ICU. DS did spend one night in ICU. My water broke with both and had them about 6 hours later. So given my history would you take the progesterone? I am really on the fence but leaning towards not getting them. I know I need to decide like today anyway. She is supposed to be calling me back later and I would start tomorrow. I will say the originally the Dr. that did the Ultrasound brought it up and I think my OB would be fine if I didn't get them. She left it up to me but said it might be a good idea.

I would be more sure if she had been even one week earlier. I just really had an awful pregnancy last time and was so exhausted and in pain I really think that contributed to it. I feel so much better this time and have been able to do yoga, eat better etc. I am worried about the side effects i.e fatigue, constipation, mood swings. I think that alone would create more stress. I just really want to say no but I obviously really, really do not want to have this LO before 37 weeks. Any experiences to share if you have had the shot?

Advertisement

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have to take progesterone shots? Need to decide today.

I wouldn't take them with that history. There's a big push for these injections because they were recently patented and cost a LOT more than they used to unless you're getting the compounded version. There is conflicting evidence that they work, and since your last was born close to term, I wouldn't want to worry about the side effects. Go with your instincts, though.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I take progesterone, and with that history I wouldn't bother. I'm no medical pro though. I just don't really think 35-38 weeks is all that early to get them. I'm actually a little surprised that they recommended them. I always thought they were mainly used for folks who had very premie babies but my understanding is limited.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My OB practice requires them if you had a previous delivery at 36w, 4d or earlier. My second was born at 36w 3d. For my third they said that since it was so close, they weren't going to have me do them, but just watch for signs of preterm labor as I was further along, and decide what to do from there.

I ended up delivering my third at 37w exactly.

Being that close, I probably wouldn't do them unless there was another factor to consider.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't believe progesterone would help PROM (I'm assuming you were not contracting causing it, correct?)...(and 38w is full term so it's insignificant in my opinion other than that you can carry a baby to that point).

I would not take them
Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Okay thanks ladies! This just reaffirms what I was thinking. I told her I didn't want to do it and she said that was perfectly fine and my decision to make. I think she was surprised the other Dr. mentioned it in the first place. I see no reason why I couldn't make it to term this time.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I JUST talked to my OB today about them. DS1 delivered at 37w7d and DS2 35w5d and he said that he would not push me to get it with that history. A midwife in his office mentioned them to me and say they would recommend them. I am a bit surprised honestly that she said I should get them and he said I shouldn't. So I would say no also..

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CristyGriffith
cristy_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
MKDMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

agreed with the above...I don't see any reason to need them when your earliest was 35w...you didn't have any preterm issues before? I am getting the shots weekly...and I almost wasn't approved..and I've had a preemie(34 weeker and water broke spontaneously at 33 w) and preterrm issues with my last 2 starting at 28 w. I seem to have a irritable uterus or something cuz I contract alot while preg! But go with your gut!

Visit my Facebook Fan page or Etsy shop!http://www.mamakaydesigns.com
http://www.facebook.com/mamakaydesigns
MKDMama is offline   Reply With Quote