Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
The questions just keep piling up and up. When will I get answers??

I think I posted here about possibly changing providers, after I encountered a million dead ends about declining the eye ointment at the current hospital that I had planned to birth at. I had an appointment with the potential new OB this morning, so here's my update.

After meeting with the current OB and the new OB today, I'm finding out that it is impossible to get everything we want with this birth, no matter where we birth, at home or at the old hospital or at the new hospital.

Overall, the visit with the new OB did go well. I'm going to finish out my shots w/ my current office (just two more, yay!) and then transfer care over to the new one at the end of next month when I'll start weekly visits. He gave me the phone # of the hospital's L&D and the name of the head nurse, and I asked her about my two biggest concerns (taking my placenta home and declining the eye ointment). The nurse quoted (as I expected her to) that the eye ointment is a state law, but when I told her I heard that there is a waiver I could sign, she said that there was.

With the placenta, though, it's ambiguous. I really wanted to encapsulate my placenta this time to help me postpartum, because I had baby blues pretty badly with Benjamin. And even now, I'm not sure how I'm feeling, and came THIS CLOSE to talking to my current OB about my emotional turmoil (and I've talked to DH about it, too, but he doesn't know how to help me). Anyway. The doctor had told me that I could take my placenta home, but the hospital would have to treat it like a stillbirth and I'd have to make arrangements with a funeral home to pick it up. But when I talked to the L&D nurse and asked her about that option, she said that they have to treat it as biomedical waste and there's no way around it.

Now, if I birth at home, I would easily be able to decline the ointment, keep my placenta, have whoever I want there (which I could at the hospital, too, so long as they stay out of the way, which they would need to do at home, too), unrestricted video and photography, no riding in a car while in labor... BUT no immediate access to a c-section if I needed one. The doctor today is one of the "VBAC gurus" and he didn't mention my birth interval at all, but said that "even with an early c-section" I shouldn't have any problem VBACing. So I can take some comfort in that, I guess.

Friday, my midwife is coming over. I'm going to have her bring a list of birth supplies so I can have those on hand and not have to be scrambling for them at the last minute, in case we decide to birth at home.

I just want a clear answer, but all I get when I seek answers are more questions, and the whole process is bringing me to near-daily tears.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The questions just keep piling up and up. When will I get answers??

You've got a clear answer on the eye drops, right? You can decline them, just have to sign about it. So that's okay.

I don't really understand the dilemma about the placenta - I have heard of mamas taking theirs from the hospital without trouble (that they mentioned anyways), but I don't know the ins-and-outs of it. By dilemma I mean with the hospital. I do understand (from what I've read and heard) why you would want to try encapsulation, especially with this birth.

It sounds like the only thing holding you back from being comfortable and at peace with the homebirth is the access to c-sec, if needed.
How long would it take to transport to hospital, from your home - either by ambulance or by car? Were you comfortable with that access/time for transport with Benjamin's homebirth?
I can understand that being a concern/worry... but there are reasons an emerg c-sec may be necessary whether with a VBAC or not. The only "extra" reason that may come with a VBAC is the risk of rupture - and that risk is, relatively, low. (although I do know that you have a different location with your incision)
My point is that if you were comfortable with it with Benjamin's birth, what is different this time?
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

I totally agree with Elena.

Here is what I know about placenta issues in a hospital. You if you are allowed to take it usually you must have it removed from the hospital right away which means you will need someone else to take it home for you. Many hospitals will not let you take it. That comes directly from my midwife from a conversation we had about a possible birth center delivery.

As far as getting everything you want I think the simple answer is a home birth. I would map out your fastest route to the hospital if something goes wrong. By wrong I mean the baby is NOT coming on it's own, you are too tired to labor on, the baby is in distress but not uterine rupture. Remember that uterine ruptures are very very rare and you have a better chance of it NOT happening in an setting that is calm, peaceful and free of interventions like Pitocin. If you like the idea of a home birth it might just be your answer.

I hope you find some peace soon
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
It sounds like the only thing holding you back from being comfortable and at peace with the homebirth is the access to c-sec, if needed.
How long would it take to transport to hospital, from your home - either by ambulance or by car? Were you comfortable with that access/time for transport with Benjamin's homebirth?
I can understand that being a concern/worry... but there are reasons an emerg c-sec may be necessary whether with a VBAC or not. The only "extra" reason that may come with a VBAC is the risk of rupture - and that risk is, relatively, low. (although I do know that you have a different location with your incision)
My point is that if you were comfortable with it with Benjamin's birth, what is different this time?
About 2 minutes from "a" hospital, and about 15-20 minutes from the closest hospital that has 24/7 anesthesia coverage.

The only thing different this time is that I'm a post-c-section mom now.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think at this point, you are the only one that can answer your questions. It is up to you to decide if the *potential* risks are worth having the homebirth so that you can have what you desire with the eye treatment and placenta. Or are you most comfortable with giving up taking the placenta home and having the *security* of the easy access to the OR *IF* it was needed. At this point, I think you are the only one that can answer these questions.

As far as the hospital goes and the release of the placenta, I don't understand why they won't let you take it home. You are allowed (at least in VA) to take home other things that are removed from your body as it is YOUR property. So, for instance, if you had your gall bladder removed and wanted to take it home, the hospital has to let you because it is your property. I don't see why the placenta would be any different. I guess this is where state laws may differ.

And, for what it is worth... I have had 3 c/s and found a DR willing to let me have a TOL for a possible VBAMC. She even signed off on a home birth if that is what I wanted to do. I ultimately decided to NOT have a home birth because I live in a rural area that solely relies on volunteers for any sort of emergency, including ambulance transport and I am 35 mins from the closest hospital which was just too far with me never having had a successful vaginal birth. If I lived withing 10-15 mins from a hospital and had reliable access to emergency transport, I would probably choose a home birth.

BUT, this is what I am comfortable with. You still need to find your comfort zone. If you choose a home birth, but aren't comfortable with it, it *might* sabotage your experience and the same with the hospital... Good luck momma with figuring out what is best for YOU!!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96

About 2 minutes from "a" hospital, and about 15-20 minutes from the closest hospital that has 24/7 anesthesia coverage.

2 minutes of driving isn't really 2 minutes when you account for getting in the car in labor, traffic, and a myriad of other possibilities that could delay you. Besides, 2 minutes is a long time if you are having a uterine rupture, especially at home. Remember they won't wheel you straight to the OR from home. You need IVs and a quick evaluation, etc. and all those thing take time. Quite a bit of time.

If I were you I would opt to go to the hospital. You can decline the eye goop and jump through the hoops to get your placenta. Those things are easy in my mind when you are comparing them to the safety of you and your sweet baby.

I do wish you the best in whatever you decide and hope you find peace soon in whatever decision you make.

Hugs.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
Okay. So, like I said before, there were potential reasons a transfer/c-sec may have become necessary with Benjamin's homebirth, and you obviously were comfortable with it then.
This time, those potential reasons all exist, and then the risk of rupture - which is very low. And, to be honest, isn't non-existent with no prior c-secs anyways.

I do wonder if your apprehension over this possible homebirth isn't about the homebirth itself, but because Jonathan died. And it's terrible to face that and realize it can happen, it does happen... and you never want it to happen again. It's adding additional (and understandable!) fear where it wouldn't necessarily be with a "run of the mill" VBAC, kwim?

At the end of the day, I have no clue what I would do, in your shoes. I haven't got the option of a homebirth or birth center, so my choice is easy. But I have no idea how I would feel or what I would choose if there were options available to us.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I actually found this thread bc I was thinking of you today and wondering how you were doing with your decisions. As a fellow vbac mama and Jesus follower, I just wanted to say "hi!" and you're on my mind and heart. I'm praying for God to lead you with His peace, and for you to have moments of rest and fun with your family amidst all of the stress and turmoil you're wrestling with.

((hugs))
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote