Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
Registered Users
Re: What can I make with sweetened condensed milk that won't give us a heart attack?

Thank you, everyone, for the interesting recipes!

I came up with something that I could live with. I took an existing Girl Scout Hello Dolly Bars recipe and tweaked it so it had at least a couple of healthy ingredients (as opposed to butter, chocolate, graham crackers, flaked coconut, and sweetened condensed milk as the original recipe calls for).

I started by crushing in the food processor a hodgepodge of random cereals that were left over and not getting eaten (Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Wheat Chex, Corn Chex, etc.) When they were reduced to crumbs, I added only 1 tablespoon melted butter (not one stick!), 3 large squares melted Baker's semi-sweet chocolate, the can of sweetened condensed milk, chopped walnuts, and some dried fruit, and rolled oats.

I pressed the mixture into a baking pan, cut up some milk chocolate pieces and sprinkled them on top and baked.

Cooled, cut into bars, kids love it. :-)

Ellen, part-time freelancing SAHM to Diane('06), Ryan('08), Darren('10); wife to the best man in the world, Jake.
Trade with me - I have and need LOTS:
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote