Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
mindylikeomg
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hoping for a VBAC...

I had a c-section with DD because my blood pressure dropped, I ran a fever, her heart rate was 220, and I went through transition while I was 7cm dilated even though they started me on pitocin.. I'm seeing only a midwife this go round and am planning on laboring in the water and potentially delivering in the water.. Do you think if the labor becomes too much to bear an epidural would cause another c-section? I think ALL the reasons why I had a c-section with DD were epidural related.. Thoughts/advice?

Advertisement

mindylikeomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindylikeomg
I had a c-section with DD because my blood pressure dropped, I ran a fever, her heart rate was 220, and I went through transition while I was 7cm dilated even though they started me on pitocin.. I'm seeing only a midwife this go round and am planning on laboring in the water and potentially delivering in the water.. Do you think if the labor becomes too much to bear an epidural would cause another c-section? I think ALL the reasons why I had a c-section with DD were epidural related.. Thoughts/advice?
I can only give my experience.

I had a c/s with my oldest because he was large and my pelvis would not spread.

My vbac was amazing. I labored until transition really well, but wound up getting an epidural because I was kinda freaked out about the location of my pain. Nobody could reason with me. I thought it was signs of a rupture. It wasn't. Everything was perfect. The epidural helped me relax and labor baby down enough that he could turn.

With all that said I'm still planning a med free birth this time.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
mindylikeomg
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hoping for a VBAC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe View Post
I can only give my experience.

I had a c/s with my oldest because he was large and my pelvis would not spread.

My vbac was amazing. I labored until transition really well, but wound up getting an epidural because I was kinda freaked out about the location of my pain. Nobody could reason with me. I thought it was signs of a rupture. It wasn't. Everything was perfect. The epidural helped me relax and labor baby down enough that he could turn.

With all that said I'm still planning a med free birth this time.
I think if I do end up getting an epidural I'll wait until the last possible second.. So that way I might be labored enough so that if it does slow it down, it won't matter.. Thanks for sharing!
mindylikeomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Statistically an epi does increase likelihood of c.sect

Sent from my droid
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma
Statistically an epi does increase likelihood of c.sect

Sent from my droid
I'm interested in seeing the data you're referencing.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a vbac 16 months ago and didn't have the option of an epi (hb). But I have seen (in person as a doula) births where the epi made it possible for mom to have a vaginal birth. Otherwise it would have been a cs. All three were moms who would've had a cs for maternal exhaustion, all for different reasons. One bc baby was a really tight fit for her uniquely shaped pelvic outlet, one bc she had been laboring for 18+ hrs, and one bc she was losing blood and dehydrated. Epidurals can be used - conservatively - to make vaginal birth possible. I wouldn't write them off completely, just use them cautiously.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

I also feel that my first c-section was due to inducing for no reason and getting the epidural too early, so I was very wary of it this time around. My labor came hard and fast (got to the hospital an hour after it started at 8 cm) and I wasn't tolerating the pain well so I got it at 10cm with a lip. It did help me relax as I was super tense from the pain and I don't think I would have had a vaginal birth without it. However, I had a second, almost third degree tear, and I wonder if I wouldn't have torn much or at all without the epi.

Ultimately you can't second-guess the decisions that you make. Certainly I would do things differently with my first delivery but I'll never know if that would have changed the outcome. Same thing with this birth, I can't second-guess it because at the time I couldn't go on unmedicated. Maybe if I'd had time to get in the water, or been relaxed enough to ask for it . . . You may find that to be all the help you need.

I also felt robbed of the "birth high" with my first daughter, and though it's impossible for me to judge because I've never had an unmedicated birth, I did feel like it was muted a bit delivering with an epidural (and pushing for 2.5 hours - I was more shocked than anything when she finally came out!). But at the time, it was worth it to me to get a handle on the pain. But I do have an incredible association with the birth that I didn't have with my first daughter - when I hold my 5 month old I have these wordless maternal feelings and it brings me back to when I first held her. Obviously I feel them for my first daughter too, but it's this very animal association that specifically conjures up her birth. (Hope this is making sense!) And I was worried I wouldn't feel that way having a medicated birth.

Just wanted to share my experience in case it helps. Yes, I had an epidural AND a VBAC, but that doesn't mean there are no trade-offs. In the end you do your best and hold that baby tight, however it comes to you!

Last edited by shan1212; 08-28-2012 at 08:48 PM.
shan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure that my epidural was the reason I was able to have a vaginal delivery with my first. My pain tolerance was especially bad at that point in life, and labor pains made me so tense I was not making much progress even though my water was broken and I needed to be progressing. My OB allowed me to have an epidural at almost 4cm, and then I fell asleep and progressed from 4-10 in about an hour....which was after being in labor for quite a while. I think it just depends on the situation.

Good luck with your VBAC attept! I had a c-section with my 2nd for medical reasons related to the baby, and was hoping for a vbac with my 3rd....but it didn't work out for me, however, I'm at peace with it
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
mamamarick
Registered Users

thank you for sharing!!
mamamarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

My first was a c/s because he had a giant head and he was stuck up nowhere near my cervix.

My VBAC baby I asked for the epidural as soon as I got to the hospital. I had hoped for a natural birth but he was full on posterior and the back labor was just too much for me to bear. I progressed really quickly after getting it but he still didn't flip on his own, he only turned halfway so he was sideways. After almost 2 hours of pushing the OB had to reach in and turn him the rest of the way, which was incredibly painful even with the epi already in, I can only imagine how bad it would've hurt without it. After he turned he came out super quick, so I had tons of tearing and an episiotomy, so with everything that happened I'm glad I got the epi or else I probably would've ended up with another c/s.

All that said I am still hoping for a natural delivery for this last baby, I just hope he's in a good position.