Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
pine_apple_goat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Personal parenting fail # bajillion

The other day I had to pick up DD from an accident (a deer hit my moms car and they couldn't use the carseat anymore so I had to go pick her up). Anyway, we take DD's carseat back and forth between mine and DH's cars. It was already in mine so I just took off to go get her. I got her all strapped in and we headed home. I had to stop at the store to get us a drink because it was 90 degrees and we were dying of thirst. We go about a mile or two and I come to the store. I reach in to get her out and realize that even though the seat was in the correct spot in the car it wasn't latched in at all! before I even pulled her out I fastened that seat in. I felt awful and thought well crap, she was just in an accident and it's a good thing we didn't get in another!

FTR- You're not an awful mom. Things like this happen.

Advertisement

pine_apple_goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Been there, done that! At least my DD told me before I got a block away from the house that I had forgotten to buckle her in. (this was like over a year ago... now she can buckle herself in and knows she has to)
Old 05-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #23
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I remember a couple of occassions where I didn't listen closely enough for the infant seat to 'click' into the base only to find when I got to my destination that she had never even been secured.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
tazzae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've done it too. You are not a bad mom ( or we all are, and I just don't believe that). Now you will be even more aware. Go easy on yourself.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
blackberry75
Registered Users

I'm glad I'm not alone. The hubs actually beat himself up more than me because he had to get something out of the backseat before we left-reaching over Weeman. So does that make the whole incident his fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind_Selector View Post
Well at least you didn't leave the baby on the top of the car in one of those carrier type car seats and drive off. Was this Ina commercial or something? I can see it so clearly. Maybe a T.V. Show?
Jack--s. They did a bit where Johnny Knoxville left a bucket seat on top of a minivan. There was a doll in the seat, but not a real baby. The hubs watched that show all the time.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #26
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

I still remember my oldest son giggling in the backseat and telling me he had a secret. After asking him multiple times what his secret was he said "I'm not buckled!" I pulled over as fast as I could and took care of it. Scared the heck out of me and I never forgot again!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #27
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry but I giggled a little at the "I'm free" story.

You don't suck as a mom.

Once, I drove 15 minutes somewhere, got home and as I was geting DS1 out of his car seat (about 3 months old) realized that some how I forgot to strap him in.. same thing, put his arms in but for whatever reason didn't buckle him in.

I did the same thing to DS3 around 4 months old.

We all suck as parents sometimes. You had a parenting fail, but that doesn't mean you suck.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
emerino
Registered Users

My DD1 learned to tell me when I forgot. Once I drove around town with dd2 as an infant not buckled. Oops!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

"I'm free, I'm free!" They're so funny.

I have also done it. Once, when DD was about 8 mos old, we stopped at a friend's house on our way home. The house was just around the corner from our house, but I had to drop something off. She fell asleep while we visited, and I out her in her car seat, chatting away with my friend the whole time, and drove around the corner to our house. Totally forgot to buckle her in. Felt like a absolute twit.... But, good to know we are all in good company!
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #30
Willum'smom
Registered Users
seller

I did that once when DS was a newborn. I had only driven about a block when I remembered. For weeks after I would pull the car over to check his buckle, I never forgot again. You're better than the family I saw when visiting Texas with a six month old being held on his sister's lap in the backseat.