Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #31
beautifulboyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Attachment parenting frustration rant

I swear Walmart was my best friend for the first months of DS1's life lol! Seriously, I felt exactly like you did and was pretty much in the same situation as you. We would stroll the aisles aimlessly, read the magazines, buy a treat just to interact with other people and enjoy the free AC. We didn't have a lot of money, and I'd prefer to save up for gas to drive to the mall and get out somewhere since our neighborhood wasn't all that safe either. The internet and books were my escape as well. I also wanted to say you write so eloquently and this was a wonderful post to read. Good luck to you mama and if definitely gets better. The first months of a baby's life are the toughest in my opinion. It DOES get better! =0)=8

Advertisement

Last edited by beautifulboyz; 05-29-2012 at 10:28 PM.
beautifulboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:36 AM   #32
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Totally been there. Our mat leaves are a year long so everyone I know has been there!

First of all. Get out of the house. Every day. Even if you cruise the mall. I used to walk for HOURS every day with dd in the stroller. Skinniest I've ever been! You're probably up early anyway, go then, it's probably not too hot yet.

And the nursing on demand... ok.. at 5mos 'demand' does not have to mean constant. You should be able to get out of the house for 2 hours at a time. Leave DH with an emergency bottle in the event he can't hold her off. She'll still nurse when you get back. In a month (or maybe now?) I imagine you'll be starting solids of some kind anyway so that will be another food option if you're not home.

And the best advice I ever got was from a friend with 4 kids. She said to pretend I had more kids. If I had 3 kids I wouldn't be responding to dd the minute she squeaked and she would survive! I slowly got her used to not having my undivided attention that way. It also let me go to the bathroom and shower!
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #33
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Oh dear, you are certainly not alone! When my DS was 5 months old I was lamenting the same things. Of course, now that he's almost 2 I would give just about anything to be able to sit down for 5 minutes So, it really does end, the sedentary part anyway...

Here are my suggestions, for what they are worth...

1. Walk at the mall if you have to in order to get some exercise when it's really hot out; walk outside very early in the morning (come on, I know you're up anyway, you're nursing!!); walk outside very late in the evening

2. Swim anyway. You don't have to be doing laps to get exercise. I started taking DS at 3 months to the pool indoors because it was winter and I was going insane. I see people with 6 week old babies at the lake here in the water. Get a little baby float for her, and hang on to the side of it and push her around the pool while you are kicking. Good exercise! Also, you can use her as a "weight" to do water aerobics. Lift her up, lower her down, etc... Jog in place in the water, walk laps, etc... It's good for her to get used to water anyway! There are lots of inexpensive baby floats out there. Make sure she has on a hat, and full coverage swim shirt--it'll keep her warmer from the cold water and keep the sun off, too.

3. If you have to be sitting, go to a park and find a shady place to sit with all your stuff! You don't have to sit inside.

4. Rent some movies so you have something to watch during marathon nursing sessions. i was never one who could crochet while nursing or write a novel while nursing or whatever, but I did master using my IPod with one hand VERY well, and I watched a lot of movies

5. Don't stress the ocassional bottle. Really. You can pump and leave one, the world won't end and you will feel MUCH better if you get away for a bit!!!

Hugs mama... Honestly everyone says this but it is true. It will fly by before you know it, and you'll have all the activity you could ask for chasing your little toddler around the house all day.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #34
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkelly View Post
I read this article a few months ago and it made me feel so much better. I knew I wasn't alone. Maybe this will help you too (and all you other mamas!)
To The Mother With Only One Child

This made me bust into tears. At work.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #35
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My thoughts go out to you. I'm concerned about PPD. If you have a moment, maybe read a bit about it & see if you can find a check list of symptoms.
Try here, see if there are any other local moms to meet at Walmart to walk around together or at a local indoor mall. I've also found local playgroups on Yahoo groups. Id try the LLL meetings & see of they know of any other local mom's groups that meet.
You're not alone. I very much relate. I have a special needs 2 year old & we are rarely out of our apt. Take care!

mom to 1 little guy (12/09) & 3 big girls ('02, '99 & '94)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #36
BabyZmo
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok, don't know if any of you are going to revisit this...but her I am now that my DD is one year old... And I can honestly say that all of you were right. It was such a huge adjustment but in retrospect it flew by. I learned to nurse in a carrier. I got a newer window unit and spent more time out of the house. My husband and I got on the same page with this and developed a game plan for time together and time alone. I am just overwhelmed at the love and generosity of you ladies! I loved that article! I truly think that adding more children will be better, mainly because I have some confidence now! I was second guessing myself constantly back then but now I'm learning there is no single "right" way! Thank you. Thank you! Thank you!
BabyZmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #37
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyZmo View Post
Ok, don't know if any of you are going to revisit this...but her I am now that my DD is one year old... And I can honestly say that all of you were right. It was such a huge adjustment but in retrospect it flew by. I learned to nurse in a carrier. I got a newer window unit and spent more time out of the house. My husband and I got on the same page with this and developed a game plan for time together and time alone. I am just overwhelmed at the love and generosity of you ladies! I loved that article! I truly think that adding more children will be better, mainly because I have some confidence now! I was second guessing myself constantly back then but now I'm learning there is no single "right" way! Thank you. Thank you! Thank you!
Awesome update mama!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #38
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
What an awesome update mama!

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote