Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Re: So, is picky eating genetic?

I think it is 100% a learned behavior and a 1st world problem.

ETA: I am willing to accept that maybe a few people have better tastebuds than others. But in general I think ppl are picky b/c their parents allowed it.

Carrie your "eat all of one thing before eating another" reminds me of a close friend. She does that but also turns the plate so that the "chosen" food is at 6 o'clock LOL

Advertisement

Last edited by Joyful Tie Dyes; 05-29-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrunchymama View Post
I read somewhere that babies develop tastes for things while in utero through things you eat, so if you don't eat a variety of things they may be pickier. Who knows if that's true though
Kim didn't crave peanut butter at all even though she LOVES PB herself and DD hates peanut butter of any kind. That might all change later on in her life but DD seems to follow what Kim ate. At this rate I think is 95% sure we're having another girl
Old 05-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
lovesTJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont think genetics, possibly nurture.....in the case of my childhood, I was super picky and my parents ate everything. We always got into food wars!! I am now a chef and a total foodie, so the good news is that you can grow out of it!! My nephew is a funny case of one parent who is a plain picky eater ( mom) and a foodie ( dad), he eats almost everything and he is two. His mama is so picky that she won't feed him ketchup, because she doesn't eat any condiments and he loves ketchup So, who knows.... Wish you luck and say try and try again!! They might surprise you one day
lovesTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
lovesTJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, my sis had a rule with her girls that they had to at least try everything they ate and they now eat pretty diversely. Gonna be my motto with my little guy, when he hits solids. Hopefully it will work!!
lovesTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper_girl_76 View Post
I think there can be a predisposition to be picky(based on tastebuds), and it can be encouraged or discouraged depending on how you deal with food.
This is how I feel too. Most kids in other countries tend to eat whatever they are offered.

The reason I wonder if it's partially genetic is, when I was pregnant, the only food I could keep down was bagels and Eggo Waffles. My daughter's favorite food for the first four years of life was Eggos and Bagels.

My friend who was pregnant at the same time ate jalapenos all day, every day... she would go to Subway and buy a bowl of Jalapenos at lunch. Her son loved Jalapenos from the time he could eat solid food.

My husband doesn't like anything healthy. He's confused on what's healthy, and what isn't. But, he was raised to eat healthy, and try new foods. So, I don't know where he gets it.

His daughter was raised to eat ONLY crap food. It was encouraged by everyone who took care of her.... she didn't start to try new foods until her 20s because guys were actually breaking up with her because of her food issues. Now she's living with a chef... LOL. I cracked up when she told me he was a chef. I asked "Does he know how to heat up dino chicken nuggets?"
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Interesting what some of y'all are saying about children eating what the mom ate during pregnancy. My mom craved and ate a lot of broccoli when she was pregnant with me and it's a vegetable that I cannot stand. I gag on it -- can't even manage to swallow it.

I don't know if there is a genetic tie or not. I was the only one growing up in a family of 5 that is picky. I'm still picky. But, I have some texture issues and I suspect I am possibly either a supertaster or right on the border. No one else in my family has the texture issues I have.

Unfortunately, since I am picky, I cook what I like, which limits the kids. And I have really tried eating more variety, but a lot of it I just cannot manage to eat. If it was the only option, I probably could, but not for the sake of getting more variety. There are, though, things my kids like that I don't like (fried eggs, for example -- nasty things, and my oldest loves broccoli), just as there are some things my kids don't like, though their tastes seem to change (my son used to eat oranges and bananas and now says he doesn't like them).
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #17
___Krystal_
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have no idea. I use to be a really picky eater. Now I'm not, but my oldest is super picky. My youngest eats everything...

I Blog follow my daily life as a SAHM. I Earn Free Amazon GC With Swagbucks
___Krystal_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am super picky. My mom is a good cook and a gardner. I never ate junk growing up. All I would eat where a few things like plain pasta. I see ds becoming the same way. He touches his food with his fingers and if it doesn't feel "right" he won't eat it. There have been so many foods he wont even try with blw. Right now he wants hot dogs. For the last 2 days he has pretty much only nursed becouse he wont eat anything else I offer him and just asks for hot dogs. I don't know where the line is. I don't want to make him be a picky eater but I don't want to starve him or fource feed him. The worst part is I totally understand him. Avacados use to make me gag. Now I like them. I ate them during my pregnant and eat them on salad frequently. I have offered them to him many times but he won't even try them. I have quick snuck a piece in his mouth but it makes him panic and cry. I want to keep offering healthy snacks but I'm getting burned out.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes
I think it is 100% a learned behavior and a 1st world problem.

ETA: I am willing to accept that maybe a few people have better tastebuds than others. But in general I think ppl are picky b/c their parents allowed it.

Carrie your "eat all of one thing before eating another" reminds me of a close friend. She does that but also turns the plate so that the "chosen" food is at 6 o'clock LOL
I totally disagree. DS would starve himself rather than try a food on his plate. There are days when he won't eat anything after breakfast. He also doesn't like the typical "kid" foods other than mac n cheese. Bananas have to be unripe, no cheese on pizza, no meat, beans, lentils, etc. The list of things he won't eat is ridiculous. I do not cater to his pickiness either, he does not get alternate meals, he does not get treats if he hasn't eaten, etc. It doesn't matter. We've been battling with this for over a year now and it breaks my heart.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am a foodie, I will try anything (except maybe organ meats or bugs) and I cook a lot of variety as well. My kids are not picky, they each have one thing they do not have to eat (mushrooms, peas, kale etc) but none of them dislike the same thing. They will eat just about anything I put in front of them from tofu to lamb curry. So I don't know if it is genetic or exposure or a combination of them both.