Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What could you do as a kid, that you would never let your child do?

When I was a kid...

We didn't even have car seats
I don't remember seeing a child with a bicycle helmet until I was maybe 8 or 10
By nine, I had run of the entire neighborhood -- my parents wouldn't see me for hours.
I played outside by myself at least as young as five.
I babysat at 12 (I would never have a 12 year old babysitter)
I walked to school every day by myself from kindergarten on ( it was about 3 blocks, crossing several streets).

My nine year old is the only one in his class still in a booster (he is about 4'6 and 60 pounds) and can only go 2 houses down - and of course wears his helmet, and is certainly doesn't cross busy streets to get to school without us.

What about you?

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What could you do as a kid, that you would never let your child do?

LOL!
I had run of the neighborhood at 5. I could walk to the local corner store at 5. I could go to the parks that were 8 blks away on bike (without helmet) at 6. I could drink straight out of the hose. I'm not sure my parents knew or approved, but we would climb on the garage roof and then jump off . My sis and I used to fight over the front seat at a VERY young age and I have no memories of using a car seat. When I was 7 my mom would drop of us at the local pool and pick us up at a designated time (us meaning peers).
My LOs are allowed to bike to the end of the cul-de-sac WITH helmets but no further. I would drop my 10 y/o off at a park with friends *maybe* for an hour. Only on certain days, certain times, etc. Nobody here drinks out of the hose (eww, I remember how the first drink would be warm). And my 10 y/o 56lb 50" 4th grader still rides in a booster even though none of her peers do (FTR, I do let her dump it in the trunk when she's riding with friends, no flames please ... she doesn't need the teasing).
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never had any helmets when I rode a bike. Seat belts were never enforced. I was about 16 and had the freedom to date older men (read: adults) and spend the night at their house. I didn't have a bed time as long as I didn't bother my mother once she went to bed. Whomever wanted to be my friend, I latched onto instantly - my mom never checked them out or asked any questions about them to make sure they were good people or their parents were good people. I was home alone at a very young age. I was babysitting full time by age 11 - like, all night long and alone.

I try not to be an overly anxious "helicopter parent" but sometimes I can't help it. Compared to my own upbringing, my kids might even seem a little smothered but I'm trying to find a good balance between protecting them and setting boundaries & letting them have a little bit of rope.

Last edited by Almacham; 05-28-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Why wouldn't you let your kid drink out of the hose? It's the same water as comes out of the taps?
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I babysat supervised at 11, unsupervised at 12. I was actually just thinking about that today...I'd have an issue leaving my kids with most adults! lol

Grew up in the desert...like literally, the next house was about a mile away, all desert. We were allowed to wander the property (10 acres) and just knew to watch for snakes and black widows and scorpions and we knew to stay within our property lines. We're here at my dad's (the house I grew up in) and I won't let my kids leave the yard! lol But I have an extremely irrational fear of snakes and spiders.

Car seats/riding up front. I remember taking turns with my brother for who got to sit up front. I distinctly remember doing it when my parents were still together, and my brother was 7 when they split! So much younger when he started riding up front.

I watched my brother home alone as young as 9, so he was 4. The mere thought of a 9yr old watching my 4yr old makes me looney lol
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
Why wouldn't you let your kid drink out of the hose? It's the same water as comes out of the taps?
I suppose I would, if they let it run first. But we used to turn on the 18' hose and drink the first water that came out. Like the laying-in-the-sun-for-3-weeks-bugs-and-bacteria water. Shudder. IDK what a hose is even made of?? Is it safe for drinking? Wouldn't a long hose harbor much bacteria? Maybe it's just me ...
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Too many to list, but the first things that pop into my head are:
- riding on the back of a pick-up
- sitting in the driver's lap to "steer"
- Kids home alone
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
emerino
Registered Users

Everything!

No seat belt, front seat as early as I can remember. Even after I broke the windshield with my head.
Watching horror movies at least as young as age 5.
Home alone (with brother who is 1 year older) as young as 5 after school and for a few hours at night a few years older (under 9). I don't think my mother would do it again if she had a do-over. She was divorced with 3 kids. Sometimes she couldn't afford a sitter.
Walking/riding bike to grocery store and movie theater as young as 7 or 8.
Hanging out with whomever/wherever, no questions asked, in high school.
First boyfriend (completely innocent, but we did go on dates) in 5th grade.
Eating junk food a lot.
Sleeping outside by myself in my bed tent at 8 or 9!
I could go on!

I think my mom was overwhelmed and just became a very passive parent, but she is a good, loving mother, and we were good kids except for some partying in high school, I don't want to give the wrong idea. My dad would have never let most of these things fly!

I may be borderline overprotective. They are my responsibility. I have to keep them safe in this crazy world
Old 05-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My mom let me go to friends houses when i was young (maybe 8?9?) that she didn't know the parents. The older sibling and her friends and i snuck out of the house and went to a convienience store. When i think of what trouble i could have gotten in... :/
Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
HappyEarthCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: wonder1one
seller

I loved riding in the back of the pickup, but I would never let my kids do that.

My sibs and I did everything alone--went to the store, went for long hikes all over the place, slept outside in a tent, etc. It was fun, but there were a few times that were kind of scary. I got flashed once at the park, and other times creepy guys would ask if we needed a ride. My kids will just have to live without those adventures.
HappyEarthCreations is offline   Reply With Quote