Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBusyBearcubs
Well, your ped really should be checking your DD's girly bits.
When both DS & DD were infants, the nurse would instruct us to take their diaper off for their weight check, on again while waiting for the doc to join us in the exam room, and then off again for a few moments during the exam.
The ped (we've always seen female peds) usually requests the dipe be off to check their hip rotation, quick glance at the labia, a gentle tummy exam (sometimes the dipe can be on for that one), and any concerns you may have about that area (like yeast). Then the dipe goes back on. It is never invasive, but it is a normal part of the well infant exam.
We saw 3 different docs in the first practice we went to, and another at our new practice, and they ALL do a quick check of the diaper area, regardless of the child's gender.
I can understand missing it once, or even twice, but if your DD has been through multiple exams and the ped has NEVER checked her girly bits, then I'm pretty sure they aren't doing a complete exam.
This!

Advertisement

hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O: Well baby checks.. girls different than boys?

Our pedi opens the diaper during the exam and checks for bad rashes, checks the hips, and then refastens the diaper for the girls. I'm sure he probably also visually checks their genitals but he never touches them. He also massages the lower tummy while diaper is open to check whatever that checks for (it often makes my newborns poop when he does that one). The only difference with ds is he gets his testicles checked as well (and he's peed on our pedi a couple of times).
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
silvergirl0007
Registered Users

Our ped always visually examines the genital area for our daughter. I'm assuming for rashes/ irritation/etc and then closes it right back up. I think it's important to monitor in both sexes.
silvergirl0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Ours check diaper area, groin pulse and tummy. And make sure no rashes. They do this until 2 at our practice then only if there is a concern after that.

No biggie.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
The doc strips her down, including diaper, visually examines her genitals, and checks the arteries in the crotch where the thigh joins it, as well as range of motion for her legs.
Yes this
Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
Ok.. I have three boys and am pregnant with my little girl.

I know that at a well baby check for boys, they check the testicles and stuff. But in another thread, someone said she has girls and "the diaper has never come off" at any of her well baby checks.

So they don't check to make sure the girl genitals are developing correctly?

Is there anything else that is different for a girl check than a boy check?

God bless!
What is different - you get to show her off in all the fun girly clothing!

I would think they'd do a check to make sure there is no major rash or anything.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

While the pediatrician certainly wants to make sure that there is not major rash, a transient rash is really not the purpose of a well baby check. Your pediatrician is going to check femoral pulses which are hard to get through a diaper. They are also confirming anatomical development and looking for other abnormalities. They are checking for inguinal hernias, anatomonical anomolies, other lumps, tenderness, etc.

It is certainly normal for the pediatrician to remove the diaper to check for these things. Failing to do so means missing an entire portion of baby's anatomy. Well baby checks can be pretty quick with a very experienced pediatrician, but they are looking for all sorts of things in those few short minutes and honestly, a rash (unless it is a really terrible rash) is low on their radar.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #18
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS's dr always has us take all his clothes off. He checks him over from scalp to toes front and back. I thought it was normal too.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #19
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

I have two DD and they have seen three different peds and they have all checked inside the diaper. Other than the gentles being different they really do the same overall check with my girls as my DS.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #20
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Both of my B/G twins always get the exact same exam. Like someone else said they may not actually touch the girls gentals but they definitely open up the diaper and look.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote